mark69sportsroof

Bleeding Master Cylinder

Well your not going to like this;  disconnect the brake lines to the front and rear bowls.  Screw in the plastic plugs to the same two holes.  Next I suggest you get a someone to watch the MC while you slowly pump the pedal repeatedly until the bubbles stop.  Will take some time so be patient and bring a magazine.  Brian

I bled the mc in the car. After 45 minutes the front disc brake bowl would only dribble out. I put in a new mc

and bled it again. Great fluid from the front and rear bowls. I bled all brakes and the brake pedal would be firm at

1-2 inches when pushing it down. Finally normal functioning brakes. I start the car and the pedal goes to the floor with about

10% pedal pressure. I noticed to 2 brake line connections barely dripping. I tighten them up. Any ideas on what to do

next?

Thanks Mark

I havent bought a master cylinder in quite a while ,they used to come with two plastic plugs with nipples on them that you attached ruber hoses to .The two hoses go into the bowls while they are full of brake fluid .Pump the master cylinder untill air bubbles are no longer visible .The master cylinder is now bled . attaching the brake lines back to the master cylinder will sometimes allow some air into the lines so the entire brake system will need to be bleed .

I doubled check the calipers and they are mounted correctly as shown in the picture above on the left side. The pedal

pressure has always been the same. The brake booster was rebuilt. The pedal has good foot pressure then when I start it

no pressure.

Thanks Mark

Its from NAPA and the box says Premium New Master Cylinder.  Before replacing the mc, the pedal had about 10% resistance and if you pumped it 2-3x it

was about 70% pedal pressure.  After installing the new mc, I have hard pedal pressure at about 2 inches moving to toward to the floor.  It feels normal pressure.

Then I start the car and the pedal goes to almost no pressure.

I was reading the mc instructions and I believe I might have messed up.  When I bled the MC in the car.  I attached 2 old mc line to the mc and bent them to drain

back into the mc.  The instructions say to keep the lines submerged in the mc fluid so it doesn't suck air back into the mc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Mark 

Did you keep the lines submerged? If so were you able to verify there were zero bubbles coming out of the lines?

Edit, on a side note I ALWAYS bench bleed master Cylinders, never in the car, over the years I've had a few that leak out the rear seal. Doing it on the car you might not notice as it will leak into the booster.

I got a MC from NAPA 3 years ago.  Part number M1929 is a 1" bore and works just fine.  The brake system is a closed hydraulic system.  Simply put; all fluid and no air in any of the separate parts; MC, lines and wheel cylinders, at anytime,  or it won't work.  The MC is a separate part and must be purged, emptied, cleared of all air usually before installing. .  This is done on the ' bench '.  If you are going to bleed the  MC the lines and the wheel cylinders as one unit be prepared for a lengthly process.  It seems this is all new to you and your working it out.  It is a learning process that we all have gone through.  When I learned how to bleed brakes it was a two person process.  I still do it that way.  When you get this worked out you will need to get that pesky brake warning light to go out.  Another adventure.  Brian   

Buy the distribution block centering tool before you attempt to bleed the brakes as a unit ,that is if you have front disk brakes ,it will save you lot of head aches trying to re center the piston in the block .It screws into the brake light sender in the distribution block .It can be unscrewed ,fluid will not come out of the hole ..

Some times the brake light sender will stick if the distribution block piston has tripped ,you can push the center pin back down with a test light ,the center pin simply makes  a connection completing a circuit and turning the light on .