Sign in to follow this  
BandBSTANGS

Drag radials ???

Anyone running drag radials on the street?

I just bolted my 8 inch magnums with ET drag radials 275/50 15.

I really don't have any idea on what way to make the tires work the best.

Right now I have 21 lbs of air in them starting out and they spin for about 20 ft and then hook. No spin going into second.

This is on the street not the track. I assume that on the track (sticker) and with a burn out they will hook fine.

Any suggestion for on the street? Im leery to run any lower air pressure on the street.

I always ran My Et Streets at the normal 28-32 PSI on the street, and while they wont hook no matter how much air you have or don't have on the street, the track is where they will shine.

I never dropped below 28PSI at the track either because they would hook on the spray at 28PSI so no need to go lower and risk anything.

The Et Streets seem to like a bit of a burn out on the street for best use in my Exp, but no a very big one.

You running a manual or auto?>

If its a manual feather that clutch a bit more LOL it takes some experimentation to figure out how to make them work the best with a standard.

Auto is same way, just one less pedal to depress LOL just don't push it as far when you come out of the hole, slowly roll into it till you can drop the hammer and get traction.

If its Auto don't try to come up on the converter, I had best results at the track going from a dead Idle to WOT, it flashes the converter harder and worked best for most consistent ET's and 60' for me. 

On the street However you may want to come up on the converter a bit so you don't shock the tires as hard off the line.. 1500 to 2000 rpm launch and don't floor it as soon as you come off the brake, I go about 1/2 throttle to get me motivating for about 20' then put the hammer down.

its potentially dangerous to run low tire pressure on the street . . if you want to street race take a small portable air tank with you then lower the pressure at the race.

they also work a little better when they are warm.

the lowest i would run them at the track would be 18.

I LOVE my ET street radials, and to set some things straight, they don't have the same construction as a standard street tire. I run 20 psi in mine all the time, and it's not unsafe, and yes, they will hook on the street. I'll post a video on here, but I'm unsure about the rules regarding street racing videos, even if they're taken in Mexico ;).

This is a little contest that a friend and I drove down to Mexico for. His car is an '08 Mustang with a built 3V and a 72mm turbo on it. It made 902rwhp, and he has the rest of the car built to handle it. We were both on drag radials, and I ran on motor, so not bottle. His 902 rwhp vs my car on motor. Should be no contest ;)

You can here me spin on the initial hit, but the tires quickly hook and do work. My car runs 10.90s on motor, so I'd say the tires work pretty well on the street. I let out when you see the white truck go by.

Damn Sportsroof I could never get my car to hook like that...You got that dude dialed in for sure.

I'm running the MT Street Comps right now, but will be going back to Street Et's when these are done.

I'm not saying Street Et's wont hook on the street but I have never had near as good of results as you do with mine.

Well no guts no glory went to a local test and tune and the car ran 7.967 at 81.38. Track is 600 ft so I'm guessing in a full 1/8 8.30 - 8.40 at 83-84 mph

I'm happy car ran good and consistent. D/R dead hooked the car. Car need more gear to play at the track. Was going thru at about 6000 in 2nd gear.

Seems like the sweet spot on shift is about 6300.

Upping the pressure aint gonna make them spin LOL they will hook just as good with the 21 as they do on 15.

I never noticed much diff at the track, they always hooked there no matter how much air I ran, altho I never dipped below 15 and usually stayed at 28-30.

Next time out Don't power brake the car at all.... Just put your foot on the brake and let it idle, and when the tree falls floor it and let off the brake at same time.

That will flash the converter harder and you will have a faster 60' time and if its gonna spin that will make it happen.

Every car is a little different, especially when it comes to autos and converters. Make one change at a time, and compare the slips. Try launching from an idle, like mentioned, and make small pressure adjustments. Just make sure you make one change at a time. My car seems to 60' the same, no matter if I footbrake, transbrake, or leave from an idle.

My car seems to 60' the same, no matter if I footbrake, transbrake, or leave from an idle.

That is interesting and something I wouldn't believe if not for you saying it. Especially as hard as your car launches and as fast it is.

That's on motor...I don't think I've ever not left on the transbrake, with the bottle. All the converter guys say that's how it should work, if the converter is right. The tbrake is for R/T, and with the right converter, should make no difference in th 60'.

Well the cleveland seems to like 1/4 mile runs. Went to test and tune at Memphis International Raceway tonite. Car still 60 fts crappy but car seems to like to strech its legs, ran 13.078 at 104.24.  If the car would 60 ft 1.5-1.6 instead of 1.9-2.0 car should run 12.70 - 12.80's (4:56 gear! ).

For no real tuning, slight stumble in carb (13-1700 rpm) and not certain where the timings at, I'm happy.

Wish I could send the single finger salute to whoever is attaching these photos everytime one gets attached.

It's a glitch in the software upgrade, They get attached at random. No one knows why or how to stop it but the moderators delete them when we see them.