Sign in to follow this  
cobalus

Experiencing intermittent electrical outage, any suggestions?

Last Saturday, I went for a short drive. When I got home, I left the car idling in the driveway while I got something from the garage shelf, and the car died as though someone had turned off the key. There seemed to be a complete loss of electricity, as the interior light was out too. Battery was close to fully charged. A few minutes later, the dome light was working again. I started the car and pulled into the garage, where it promptly died again.

Today I tried to make sure all the connections were tight, especially the ground straps. Everything was fine for about 6 miles. Then it suddenly died. Coasted to a stop, fiddled with the battery leads, and it started back up. Died again about half a mile later. Same as before, I could get it to start again, but it would die before I could even get it out of the space. I tried 4 or 5 times with the same result. On my final try, the car started, but the starter motor would not stop running.  I had to disconnect the negative battery lead to stop it. At that point I called for a tow.

It seems like the problems only occur when the engine is hot. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Last time I saw a strange intermittent problem like that is was a bad battery cable end at the starter solenoid.  Sometimes there was no electrical power, jiggle the cable end and everything powered back up.  It sounds like you are experiencing something similar.

The usual answer to that question is the fender apron starter solenoid.  You have already replaced that item.  Try an experiment , at home, turn the key start the car if you have a repeat with the starter give the new solenoid a rap on the top and see if the run on stops.  Not a real answer but cheap and easy test.  Brian