jgkurz

Engine block paint for a 1969 428CJ - Which blue?

Hi Folks,

I need to choose an engine paint that best resembles the original engine paint used on the 69 428CJ engine block and heads. I am not doing a concours restore but I would like to be in the ballpark on color/hue/tone.

I'm a VHT fan but I'm open to other options. Which should I use to match the original color?

VHT

https://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/

SP125 Ford Dark Blue

SP134 Ford Light Blue

SP138 New Ford Blue

SP755 Competition Ford Blue

Dupli-color

http://duplicolor.com/product/engine-enamel-with-ceramic

Ford Blue Engine Enamel with Ceramic

Ford Dark Blue Engine Enamel with Ceramic

Old Ford Blue Engine Enamel with Ceramic

PlastiKote

http://www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Engine-Enamel.html

224 Ford Blue

205 Old Ford Blue

copy of a previous post I had made.

----------------------

for reference.

the following picture compares Plasti-Kote 224 engine enamel to "Ford Blue" 13358 with about 12% flatting added.

Of course each batch will probably be different.

The plasti-kote is on the left side. You may not be able to tell, but the plasti-kote is slightly darker blue or maybe a little more purple.

IMG_5675.jpg

----------------------

I use Ford Dark blue.  Pretty sure I got this at NAPA.  Works out pretty nice for me as touch up is easy and the color always match's up.  I spray a small amount into the cap and use a very small paint brush for the touch up.  Brian

post-33155-0-15846500-1443921815.jpg

post-33155-0-98406400-1443921841.jpg

I don't know what year in the mid-late 1960's Ford changed from the light blue to the dark blue.  But I am fairly certain in 1969 dark Ford blue was the correct color.  The shade of it does vary between paint brands.  I like Dupli-Color paints for aerosol cans.  They have the best spray pattern of aerosol canned paints I have used. 

Messing with this same question and thought I would add a comparrison. The paint cans are all duplicolor. I have been using the center one called "old ford blue". The trans tube and smog tubes came with the car and are much darker; like the left can.

post-47232-0-45363700-1486399602.jpeg

post-47232-0-63151500-1486399807.jpeg

This is an old thread but I will comment anyway as engine paint has been the bane of my existence for some time.Nothing you get in a rattle can will match what ford applied at the factory and I mean not even close.I have several engines that are low mile and well preserved that I picked up while living in arizona.One is a 1970 351C,another is a 1968 390 as well as a 1970 429.They all look the same in spite of what Ive heard several MCA judges say about colors being different.They all match exactly and I might add they match exactly to the 400 engine in my dads 1979 F250.No matter who makes the aftermarket paint its always way too glossy and the color is off enough to easily tell with the eye if you know how they originally looked.I think most people dont even care but I have asked a couple of the well known MCA judges who I will not name about how to get the correct color and sheen as I was going to use a paint gun like ford  did at the factory and none of the guys I talked to had anything to say about it and I might add got some weird looks for even asking which is strange because alot of these cars are very high dollar and getting it right is very important for a factory assembly line look but what I got from it was they have no idea how to get the color correct so they just shrug it off.Like I said most people dont even care but when you put  the time and effort in these cars that alot of people do then it becomes a thorn in the side when you cant get the engine to look right.All one has to do is look at an unrestored low mile car and then look at a nut and bolt restoration of a same model car and you will quickly see how different the colors and appearance are.So far to this point no one has stepped up with the ability to make these engines look assembly line correct.

Twenty years ago I entered my 69 Cobrajet I to the MCA Nationals trialer concours class in New England. My car was not a normally trailer queen, but I open trailered a distance for this event.

Anyway, there were many beautiful cars rolled off enclosed trailers at the show. If you are not familiar with MCA judging, ots a point deduction process based on the MCA rulebook and the judges assessment. To my surprise I won a silver. The car had few deductions, but engine paint was not one of them. I used a lighter ford blue on the 428CJ than I use on my small blocks. The best corporate blue. In my opinion was the discontinues PlastiKote, but saw that NPD has a exact match replacement the the PlastiKote Ford Blue.

69 DSC01450.JPG

69 CobraJet engine 10.jpg

DDSC_029558.JPG