Sign in to follow this  
moodster

Heater box removal

Trying to get a heater box out of a 69 Mustang and it seems like an impossible physics challenge. I've got the box loose and it almost comes out but then I just can't get it. The passenger side of the dash is loose but I can't seem to figure out how to get the driver's side to loosen up so I can get more room. I've removed the two bolts on both sides of the dash and five bolts along the top that go to supports - 2 in the middle and three behind the cluster. Any idea what I'm missing? 

david

It's my belief the building a 69 Mustang begins with the heater box, then the rest is built around it. True story. To remove the heater box you MUST first remove the dash pad and the lower dash. Be careful handling the lower dash, it has many sharp edges.  I thought I was fighting Edward Scissor Hands! This includes disconnecting wiring and hard lines. Since this is something you don't want to get good at doing. Unfortunately I'm really good at this process :( Since you want to do this only once, I'd rebuild the housing, replace the cables, hoses and heater core. I took a tip and pressure tested the core, some guys re solder the fittings.

It's my belief the building a 69 Mustang begins with the heater box, then the rest is built around it. ... Since you want to do this only once, I'd rebuild the housing, replace the cables, hoses and heater core. I took a tip and pressure tested the core, some guys re solder the fittings.

Truer words were never posted. Replace everything while you're in there -- the parts are cheap and you don't want to do it twice.

The dashpad was the first thing I removed.  The cluster is loose as well.  I'm beginning to believe I need to drop the steering column to get the dash to loosen up on the driver's side.  

david

You are correct Dave I just posted a couple of pictures for you over in the VMF. I have my dash pad cluster and lower dash out so you can see what u need to do to get the column to drop some .  

The other Dave

Yes, it was ruff no one knows how many times I thought to myself why did I start this project. People ask me what all sheet metal I replaced I respond with its easier for me to tell you what I didn't replace or patch. It's all coming together now tho I can began to see day light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the compliment.

It's been as challenge.

Dave

You deserve it Dave, I just started my build thread over in project progress, after seeing what you've done I think I'll keeps my itty bitty rust issues to myself lol.

Didn't mean to hijack you're thread Moonstone.