Hi Guys,

I just picked up '69 that doesnt hve the door tags but the buck is there. Any chance you could decode mine after Raven's Brian? Many thanks if you could

4   17G   65E     VYN2     1A

##########  S  MED GOLD

CL  RM  MO  PS  PT

Dave the plant is important because the codes could be used differently depending on where the car came from. Seems as though Metuchen;

334= Rotation number-body and paint

09K= Buck completed date

63C= Body and trim

3W = Trim code

4 Med emer = Paint code

TT = Tu Tone hood

PS = Power steering

DE = Dual exhaust

GT = GT Equipment

CL = Visibility Group/Courtesy lights

RM = Racing Mirrors

MO = Rocker Moldings

MC = Floor Console Before 12/8/68

Much the same as my car. I don't have the PS but do have the PB. I do have the MC and my car is a Metuchen 9/19/68 built car. Looks as though we have very early and similar cars. So what's the built date on your ride and do you have a Marti Report ? Brian

Thanks Much Brian. So the PT means vinyl top? Also, is there a way to find out what the original trans. was with just the vin and buck tags?

PT = see above. Convertible top Black or White. The VIN nor the BUCK TAG will help. You should get a Deluxe Marti report it will have some useful info including automatic or manual trans. Brian

Dave the plant is important because the codes could be used differently depending on where the car came from. Seems as though Metuchen;

334= Rotation number-body and paint

09K= Buck completed date

63C= Body and trim

3W = Trim code

4 Med emer = Paint code

TT = Tu Tone hood

PS = Power steering

DE = Dual exhaust

GT = GT Equipment

CL = Visibility Group/Courtesy lights

RM = Racing Mirrors

MO = Rocker Moldings

MC = Floor Console Before 12/8/68

Much the same as my car. I don't have the PS but do have the PB. I do have the MC and my car is a Metuchen 9/19/68 built car. Looks as though we have very early and similar cars. So what's the built date on your ride and do you have a Marti Report ? Brian

Hey Brian.....Just realized that the tag isn't from my car! LOL. It must be one I took off a car before it went to the dump some 30 years ago. Which then brings up the question....where is my tag? My car is a 428 car built in March of 69. Much of the data on the tag seems to match my equipment though.

Dave

Well to bad.  That tag/car would have been interesting to compare notes with.  The tags are made of super thin material/metal and it is surprising any of them survived.  The one I have I got from Marti Auto Works.  Brian

Yeah....I wish I had that car too. That marti tag looks pretty darn good! I may need to have one made for my car if I can't find mine. If I can't find, is there a way to find the info to put on it from marti?

Dave

The original invoice (Emminger), I would say, should list all the options. Marti has all that stuff, if you don't.

I found my car's buck tag screwed on the passenger side radiator support, facing forward. As it had been painted black with the rest of the engine compartment (PO?), I had never noticed it until I started disassembling the car...

G

PT = see above. Convertible top Black or White. The VIN nor the BUCK TAG will help. You should get a Deluxe Marti report it will have some useful info including automatic or manual trans. Brian

I have ordered the Marti Report (excellent advice). Thanks Much for the input. Just an fyi though, PT does'nt mean convertible I'm pretty sure it means vinyl top black/white.

Thanks again

On 9/25/2015 at 10:07 PM, Brian Conway said:

I've got the tag book. So ask away. Brian

I have a  question  About buck tags my mustang 1969 Mach 1 390 PLEASE HELP                                                                                                             146.                            
           2  15e   63c                  3a                 9T02S201205  c dk              gr  m
gt   tt   de      cl        rm      mo    hp

12E7D484-C171-4D18-ADEE-38652E9AC651.jpeg

Welcome to the site!

Looks like you've got a Metuchen-built car based on the wavy tag ... Going from memory here, I have the book at home...no guarantee these are right*

DK GR M         Dark Green Metallic paint

GT                    Heavy duty suspension (aka GT suspension)

TT                     Two-tone hood (black out)

DE                     Dual exhaust

CL                      ?

RM                    Racing mirrors

MO                    Rocker moldings

HP                     Hood pins

*Buck tags varied from plant-to-plant and were changed on the fly, so there is no definitive definition anywhere. They were a short-hand memo to the assembly workers and used whatever code the plant manager thought was good enough.

Late 69 Metuchen plate

76A - Convertible, standard interior

TOPS - Black top, plastic rear window

2A - Black standard interior

W - ? May be a qualifier for the paint

YELLOW - Exterior paint color

PS - Power steering

PT  - Power top