Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

351W Timing Pointer

I am confused guys. The timing pointer came bolted on the engine from the shop on the passenger side of the engine. I did not know enough to question it even though it seemed awkward tucked under water pump. After putting #1 cylinder at TDC the timing marks on the balancer are on the drivers side. This makes more sense from a viewing standpoint. However the prospective bolt holes for a timing pointer on the drivers side are a lower bolt and a untapped boss. I want to make sure I need to flip it before I take the water pump back off to get that stupid bolt out that is trapped behind it. Your input is greatly appreciated.

post-38321-0-32877900-1442498691.jpg

It looks like a mismatch of parts from 69 and 70 engines.  I had this on a 70 a few years back.

The balancer hash marks, and the timing pointer (and mounting points) should be on the  drivers side.  The water pump inlet (and radiator bottom hose outlet) should be on the passenger side on a 69.

Your timing cover is for a 70, with the mounting points for the timing pointer on passenger side.  This will make it near impossible to read the or see the pointer with the engine fully dressed. With no timing marks on the balancer, it would be pointless anyway.

You can try to drill and mount a makeshift pointer on that timing cover, on the drivers side, to make your current set up work correctly.  Some heavy wire and some clever selection of bolts may work well.  Being aluminum, it will need TIG to make any welds on to the cover.  It is only a pointer, but needs to be accurate and securely mounted, to be of any use.

The best result would be to get the correct 69 timing cover, the correct 69 timing pointer, and replace that part only.  You mentioned that the water pump is coming off anyway.  That is a bonus in this instance, and good opportunity to change out the timing cover.

The change to the front furniture set-up from 69 and 70 causes this exact issue a lot, as parts are swapped out after failing and old age. 

Aftermarket parts available now have provision for drivers side, AND passenger side timing , specifically harmonic balancers with multiple "clock' timing marks, covering pre 70, post 70, and late model 5.0 liter engines.; adjustable pointers.  I have not seen 'ambidextrous' timing covers, maybe someone else knows of such a thing.

The radiator and water pump MUST match, of course.

Your engine builder installed the pointer incorrectly or used the wrong pointer. this is what your pointer should look like along with the self tapping hex head screw I mentioned in my previous post. Your front cover is correct for a 69. http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-timing-pointer-289-302-351w-1968-1973/p/HW1300/ It mounts to the lower T/C bolt and the self tapping screw mouts the upper end of the pointer to that unthreaded boss