TurboStangGT

"I Should Have Known Better"

"I Should Have Known Better" was a big hit for THE BEATLES in july 1964 they made a ton of money from it. it was a big hit for Rick in 2015 but it's gonna cost a ton of money for me. for someone that has made a living from fixing cars most of his life I did know better. my truck has had a leaking head gasket for a while burning a little coolant I don't drive it much only when I need a truck was gonna fix it when I had the time. famous last words. so last week I decided to fix it before my luck ran out. it sat for maybe 3 weeks it was running fine the last time I used it. so I went to start it. it fired then the motor kicked back broke the front of the starter housing off  got another starter before putting it on tried to turn the motor over. it was locked up so I thought great must have over heated & ceased up even tho the temp gauge was in the normal range nope! we pulled the motor out with the trans because I couldn't get to the nuts off the flywheel took the heads off there it was the gasket let go while it was setting pressure had built up forced coolant to fill the cylinder you could see the rust mark it broke off the piston skirt bent the rod and 6" long crack in the block it's all scrap now. didn't have time to fix it when I should have but found the time to pull the motor & trans now right when I need the truck. learn from my mistake if something isn't right get it fixed! add the crank to the list it's bent also

post-43317-0-53573700-1441999886.jpg

post-43317-0-08310700-1441999915.jpg

post-43317-0-30211700-1441999940.jpg

I hope my step son learns this lesson soon.  In the past 6 months alone, I have pulled two R22 engines from his yota pickup that have holes in the block large enough to put my fist through.  Both are because he was too impatient to park the truck and fix oil and water leaks.  He's 18 though...he knows it all.

I hope my step son learns this lesson soon.  In the past 6 months alone, I have pulled two R22 engines from his yota pickup that have holes in the block large enough to put my fist through.  Both are because he was too impatient to park the truck and fix oil and water leaks.  He's 18 though...he knows it all.

Lol, oh to be young and dumb again!

Never bent one but came close ,when it wouldn't turn over i pulled the plugs to see what looked like a whale ....There she blows !!

blew a head gasket and filled a cylinder .

My uncle bent one just about like the one pictured in a Merc.Montego with a 429 ,you wouldn't think a rod that big would bend just from a starter motor turning it over when i turned it over 

I don't think there's anyway a starter could bend it like that. the engine fired then kicked back. ever sense I've owned the truck you could just bump the starter and it would start. just hard to believe the damage done in just a split second! crank bent so bad if you even try to tighten down the main caps you can't turn the crank.