rchappelear

seat height

I've heard that complaint of TMI around Mustang forums. A lot of guys blame it on new vs old padding/foam, but I don't buy it. I haven't complaints from any ather company. The stock 69 seats are low.

It is a conbination.

I have redone seats with new foam before and you sit a little higher. But not as much of a difference than the start seats.

I put the, in my 69 conv and there was a big difference. I have actually though about selling the seats and going back to stock

Bob

we've had a lot of discussion regarding seats , seat foam, seat upholstery makers and the end results. A ' search ' may add some info you don't have. I have one picture that may help with your question. Picture shows original seat with tape measurer going to the headliner 34 & 1/2" add three inch's for the tape body and it's 37 & 1/2" What's yours measure ? Brian

post-33155-0-97169100-1441166121.jpg

Brian Conway

If i measure from the bottom of the seat and follow the slop of the back rest (as it looks like in your photo) my seat measurement comes out to be 32 1/4" +3" for the tape body.  So that is a total of 35 1/4" from seat cushion to headliner.

I have dynamat extreme on the floors, mass back carpet, TMI sport seat foam and upholstery.  The headliner rods are set on the upper holes (that should have given me a additional 1/2" of space).

Only thing i can figure is that they need to break in a bit

I'm shocked at how many people don't realise that the TMI seats sit higher then the stock one. This has been a complaint for years. When we developed our seats we made sure they were the same height as the original ones. I guess this is why we sell so many headliners after people install there TMI seats LOL.

The picture I posted above is the before picture these are the after pics. Showing the new TMI upholstery and foam on the original frames. I gained 1/2" on the seat bottom. Possible the 'Sport' seat style is the cause of the height issue ? Brian

post-33155-0-91600700-1441319964.jpg

post-33155-0-02283800-1441319999.jpg

Brian did you use the TMI Premium seat foam with the listing wires molded in? I know alot of people like the american cushion ind. seat foam. I was gonna go with the sport II  upholstery now I'm not so sure. I've lowered a few  seat platforms before but there's no way you can remove 2 1/4" anyone else using the TMI sport II ? 

Man i cannot get over how much of a difference between my TMI sport seats and the reupholstered seat still.

This is what my set up is

factory seat pans

original floors

dynamat extreme

acc mass back carpet

1970 high back seat frames

TMI sport seat foam and upholstery

head liner rods on the upper holes to gain head room

* i went with the 70 seat frames due to the back rest level issues of bending.

ryan

I had my seats completely redone custom.  They stripped down my original frames, blasted and painted them and used custom foam and vinyl to rebuild my seats.  I have had concerns since I sat in them the first time that they were a "little too high".  

In the attached pic, the seat is pushed "all the way back".  At 6ft 1in and mostly legs, this is a usual requirement for me.  I find that I sit with my head really close to the top, but it has settled probably 1/2in to 1in in only modest use so far.  IMHO, the original seats left me a little too low, and so I was happy to have a slightly higher seat.  My new ones verge on "too high" but I'm happy to have the opposite problem for a change.

In the picture, you can see I am measuring almost a full 35in.  Several important points about this measurement:

- I believe that the "tilt" of the seat can drastically affect the measurement (+/- 1inch or more).

- I measured to the headliner, not the roof.  The headliner is probably an inch below the steel roof

- I have ACC mass back carpet which the rails sit on

- The rails also sit on Dynamat extreme.

- floors are otherwise original.

post-14729-0-94871600-1443502247.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jay

Has anyone used the TMI "Pro Series" seats in their 69?  It's a complete seat and they claim it sits approximately 1" lower...looking at Mustang Depot they have the high back Mach I style with Sport foam listed for around $1500 for a pair including tracks.  Not cheap but also not a bad deal if they are actually an "upgrade" to stock.  I need to re-do my seats and looking for options as the local upholstery guys want to bend me over...

Should have just put some Fiero Seats in with Some Mr. Mikes upholstery on them, a 6' tall guy in those seats has PLENTY leg room and head clearance... feels like Im riding in my Old Porsche hehe

This is what I did too.  I used Fiero seats.  I ditched the tracks and used a 1 1/2" x 1/2" rectangular tubing to mount the Fiero seats to the floor (fixed position to fit my leg length) using the stock holes in the floor.  I did NOT lower the seat pan.  I use an original headliner and bows.  I am 6'6" tall - and I have PLENTY of head room!

Here's what they looked like when they were done...All in all I am VERY happy with them.

Recently spent a total of about 15 hours in them this past weekend and they are Very comfortable.

The seat kits come with cotton batting so you can pack the bolsters pretty full and make them as tight at you want

post-13203-0-43557700-1444832844.jpg

Here's what they looked like when they were done...All in all I am VERY happy with them.

Recently spent a total of about 15 hours in them this past weekend and they are Very comfortable.

The seat kits come with cotton batting so you can pack the bolsters pretty full and make them as tight at you want

they look great!  do you think he could insert the red stripe?  it's one of my favorite features of the car so would prefer to keep it