danno

Remote trunk release pushbutton switch ideas

post-13130-0-58300900-1441153288.jpgpost-13130-0-58300900-1441153288.jpgI know most of us have a remote trunk release installed.  The ones from the mid 80's Full size Fords bolt right in in place of the existing factory one.  A version was this was used as a dealer installed option in some Mustangs of the early 70's era.  One of the problems is where to put the pushbutton switch, and I have a couple ideas.

I started with my old 120v to 12 volt DC converter from my answering machine.  I took it apart, threw away the guts, and drilled a hole in it as a mounting.  Then the switch fits perfect in either the glove box or under the front of the seat. 

When it is used under the drivers seat, a small plate is added so the plate can go under the seat track, between it and the carpet. 

An by the way, I have one of these trunk releases for sale in the 69 stang parts for sale....

post-13130-0-64855100-1441153256.jpg

post-13130-0-59851700-1441153317.jpg

post-13130-0-93833900-1441153358.jpg

post-13130-0-82736300-1441153392.jpg

post-13130-0-59386700-1441153446.jpg

Yes, the remote keyless is the best way to go, and can certainly be done. Another option that I did was to install a tiny switch under the lip of the trunk.  You just walk up and discretely hit the hidden button under the lip, and it pops open.

I received my remote trunk lid release. This will be a nice mod.

One thing to remember while this is a direct bolt onto the 69 Mustang, as with any mod, it is not a direct fit.

I will have to cut out a window in the side of the rear panel brace that holds the trunk lid release. I went to install it last night and it would not fit without this mod to the brace.

I will do some cutting this weekend and share some pix.

So many options for locating the switch. Under the bumper? enter console? side of the seat? inside door jam?

I wonder if I can run constant power to the switch so I can open it without turning the key, mmmm.

Some of these trunk releases require cutting, and some do not. I attached a photo of both. The one on the right has a piece that extends from the opening on the side, the one on the left does not.   The one on the right either requires cutting the trunk mounting a bit, or cut the piece that extends from it. 

post-13130-0-45909800-1442011411.jpg

After installation, what powers or springs open the trunk lid? Seems to me that this mod would need to have a spring installed someplace. Currently if you open your trunklid with the key, you have to lift it open, so what's the advantage of installing this switched trunk opener. What am I missing here? Thanks

The remote just does what the key used to do.   It releases the trunk, and it only lifts up about 1/4 of an inch. The latch mechanism does the 1/4 inch lifting when it is operated, just like the key would. .The system does not lift the trunk further than the 1/4 inch, the same as turning the key would do. Is that what your question is?

Danno

You dah man. Thanks for posting this topic. I was able to install the electric trunk release today with two bolts. I did have to muscle it in there but no worries it fit. I got in the trunk with a light to get it all lined up with the trunk lid latch and it popped open the trunk just like you described about 1/4 of the way. I mounted the switch between the bumper and licence plate. There is a little ledge there big enough for the button and a finger and its hidden from site unless your laying on the ground. I did not use the box. I like this mod. Thanks again. Bill

Flanders, they come from a Crown Vic from about 1980 to about 1985.  The full size Mercury also had them from about that time period.  I am not sure of the exact years, but they are in that range. I think some of the LTDs also had them. There is a different earlier version of this that was a popular  dealer installed option on a lot of cars throughout the 70s, including early Mustangs. It had 2 wires connected to it, it did not use the mounting bolt as a ground. This older version, which looks almost the same, can require modification to the trunk. In my picture above from Sept 11, it is the one on the right.

Chelby,  That is a great idea for the switch location. I would not have thought of that.  I also have a tiny switch under the lip of my trunk, right under the M for Mustang.  All I do is reach for the trunk lid, and touch it in the right place, and the trunk opens.  It is not at all obvious to anyone that I am actually touching a electrical switch.  The switch is tiny, so it requires a relay to drive the trunk release.   Next year it will be put on my remote pushbutton attached to my key.

The lock assemblies I've found to work from full-sized Fords and Mercurys back to about 1974. I pulled every one I could find at a local junkyard some years back and sold them for 1967-1970 Mustang use. On my '67 coupe at one time I had the torsion bars too tight and the lid would jump up pretty hard. Being keyless this was recipe for fun. 

This little person completely cleared the roof and hit the hood running at full speed. I'd give about anything to have had video of it. 

cattrunk.jpg