Sign in to follow this  
tharrold

69 power steering pump drive belt

Good afternoon,

I just re-built my pump, getting things back on the car, and I noticed that the pump belt that I have (I doubt it's correct) doesn't allow for very much adjustment of the pump.  Basically, I tighten the belt very close the to the "loosest" setting on the adjustment bracket. I even have to put the belt on the pulley as I am mounting the pump, or it won't clear the pulley. 

I've always had clearance issues with the pump and the oil pressure gauge, and I (just noticed that the pump isn't quite straight up.  (the filler neck is tilted toward the driver side, not straight up)

Can anyone confirm whether the proper position of the power steering pump filler neck is supposed to be straight up?  (as viewed from the front)

I suspect this belt is just a bit too small.  Anyone have a size/length or part number of the correct belt?

The markings on the belt I have are "YCO 15470 Made in USA".  It's a ribbed belt. 

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

I think I would simply take that belt to the parts store and ask for a belt one inch longer and try it.  From the number your belt is 47 inches long.  Try a 48 inch long belt.  I'm guessing its YCO 15480.  Non A/C cars use a larger diameter water pump pulley than A/C cars so I think there is about a 1 inch difference in belt lengths between the two.

Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up getting a belt that was 47.5", and it fit, and give me a bit of clearance from the fuel line and oil pressure sending unit.

Still, the filler neck is not quite pointing straight up.  I'm curious if anyone has any good pics of the orientation of their power steering pump...

Thanks in advance.