Sign in to follow this  
Justasking

New engine & transmission dimensions

My brother had a 1969 Mustang with inline engine and manual transmission.The engine and trasmission were stolen years ago and only the chassis exists. My guess is that he had the smallest production engine size. Now, he wants to put a replacement engine and transmission and is eager to know if he can put the latest engines that currently being produced for Mustangs into his 69 Mustang. In response I told him that I don't think so, but to satisfy his curiosity as well as mine , I would like to know if it's possible to place a current engine and transmission? If it's not, then what is the latest engine and transmission production year that he can replace them with.?

Any help regarding this matter greatly appreciated.

You can put in just about any current Ford engine you want, just depends on how much modification and $ you want to do/spend. The late model non modular 5.0 will bolt right in, the only problem with them might be hood clearances with the EFI. People have put the new modular 5.0 Coyote in these cars.

The Boss 429 used modified shock towers, not eliminated ones, and the new modular motors have very similar dimensions, so it can be done. Personally, if I am putting that much engineering into a swap, I would get a modern front suspension and eliminate them altogether.

BTW, how desperate do you have to be to steal a late 60s inline 6 cylinder engine?

I have seen a couple,of the higher end builds that used the entire front suspension and frame clip from the modern car and grafted in into to older car. That's what I would love but you have to be up for that swap.

If you do the arning drop with the upper arms and then convert to a coil overs you can eliminate the majority of the tower. They also have a swap for using the struts and spindles from a fox body that would allow the elimination of the majority of the suspension

Bob

BTW, how desperate do you have to be to steal a late 60s inline 6 cylinder engine?

Crack heads will steal any metal for scrap prices. I had a crap load of stuff stolen from my garage and shop, including an I beam kart frame welding jig, and an about 400 lb solid steel punch press table. They just want the poundage.

Crack heads will steal any metal for scrap prices. I had a crap load of stuff stolen from my garage and shop, including an I beam kart frame welding jig, and an about 400 lb solid steel punch press table. They just want the poundage.

I actually do have guys that troll the alleys for scrap in my neighborhood for scrap that aren't crackheads, just low income guys looking for a supplement. I often wonder if the scrap they get pays for the gas for their truck. It is kinda nice, I just replaced all the fluorescent fixtures on my garage with cold start ones. One of the guys was driving by and screeched to a halt as I was putting the first old fixture in the alley. He came back and grabbed the rest later when I was done with the project. I love the fact that they do that, but I did accidentally leave my floor jack outside one night and *poof*!

Not sure of the scrap guys got it or someone looking to steal rims got it.