MustangBobby

Maier Z Brace

I would like some other opinions on this, if you don't mind.  Maier replaced the one piece X brace with this more "adjustable to fit" brace.  I'm sure it works great when paired with subframe connectors, but it just doesn't look nearly as stout as the one piece it replaces. 

http://www.maierracing.com/product/z-brace/

​

Well, I just got done talking with my friend who is a mechanical engineer, and he said this would work really well.  The first thing that popped into his head when he saw it, was a bridge truss.  It is a very efficient design at load transfer.   He said unless I was building a NASCAR, this would do everything you need it to do because it has straight bars and no curves unlike the X brace.  He is confident that it would work as well as the X brace if not better, because it is built with substantial sized tubing and there are not any geometric weak points, which Maier also mentions in the description.  I still think the $400 is a lot, but I now feel better about the product after talking with an engineer.

I am also a mechanical engineer, MSME degree and licensed in California, and yeah, I agree with your friend, the Z-brace is better than none and typically seen on bridges.  But I don't see it working as well as an X-brace.  Don't forget, a bridge has many truss sections in it with diagonal truss members going in more than one direction.  Not just one like in this case.  I like Maier Racing but it's not worth $400.  Look elsewhere like Total Control Products for an X-brace

+1 with 1969_Mach1 yes better than nothing, but NOT as good as an X-brace. I've always thought Maier is a decent Co., but $400 for that brace is making me think twice.

Edit, for $179 more look what you get from TCP. https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1608-mustang-64-70-cougar-67-70-hardtop-g-connector-system-standard-torque-arm.aspx NO comparison strength wise.