jgkurz

First drag race with the Mach1

I went to the dragstrip with the Mustang on Sunday. I have experience drag racing but it was the first time with this car, with a big block, with drag radials, and with an automatic. All very different from my previous experience. The car has a mild 429 (385 series), C6 and 4.11 gears. I also have CalTrac's with Viking double adjustable shocks. A friend loaned me some drag radials so I thought I was set. The best run was a 13.55 at 101.2mph. The car weighs 3625 with me in it. Mid 13s is what I expected but I thought it would run closer to 104-106mph. I'm not disappointed in the car, only my calculations if that makes sense. The car was VERY consistent and ran perfect all day as long as I shifted the the stock shifter properly (challenging!!). I put the 4.11s in recently in anticipation of my new engine/overdrive trans going in soon. I couldn't stand them long term with a C6 or 4spd but they were perfect for drag racing. I couldn't cut a decent light to save my life. My previous experience didn't help me much. Oh well. Had a blast just the same.

2015-08-24_155113_zps3yu9y0bu.jpg

Question to you all you experienced drag racers. I expected much better 60 foot times with 4.11 gears and drag radials. My best was 1.988. I had to launch the car from idle because I couldn't foot brake. The stock stall speed plus sticky tires just pushed my car through the staging lights. The front tires wouldnt hold the car. Do I just need more horsepower, higher stall, both?

Curious what the biggest contributor to the slow 60 foot times was?

I'm not super experienced with drag racing, but I think a higher stall convertor would do the trick for you. It will help with the launch. As a comparison, my old 351c Falcon ran 13.8 @ 102mph and weighed about 150lb more than your car. It probably had up to 100hp less than your stang, but had a 2500 stall and 3.25 rear. The stall helped the engine get up into its power band at launch.

Question to you all you experienced drag racers. I expected much better 60 foot times with 4.11 gears and drag radials. My best was 1.988. I had to launch the car from idle because I couldn't foot brake. The stock stall speed plus sticky tires just pushed my car through the staging lights. The front tires wouldnt hold the car. Do I just need more horsepower, higher stall, both?

Curious what the biggest contributor to the slow 60 foot times was?

Converter is everything. It is the single most important piece of equipment, when it comes to drag racing. I tell people all the time that my engine doesn't make that much power, and the money I spent on the converter is what makes the car perform. My car does all its work in the 60'.

The converter I am planning to use with the new trans is a 2500rpm although a high torque engine might bump that up a slightly. I think that will match my cam properly. The engine will be on the dyno first so hopefully we can validate if 2500 stall is correct. I don't want to go more than a 2500 so hopefully that'll get the car off the line nicely.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL REPLIES!

Yep, I probably had half the HP/Torque. It's OK. No matter how much horsepower I have there will always be somebody faster. In this case I'm glad it was a PowerStroke and not a Cummins. Ha!

LOL...I have no brand loyalty when it comes to diesels. They are all alienware to me.

I certainly learned that trying to be the fastest in anything is an exercise in national debt building. I look at new sedans in Road & Track running in the 13s routinely and even some special ones getting into the 12s and 11s and it just doesn't seem fair. The days when muscle cars held the standard for factory performance are long gone. I even converted to a milder roller cam because I got sick of dealing with the driveability issues to get beat by a Taurus SHO.

Anymore, it's about the sound and the feel. And of course, the styling will never be duplicated.

LOL...I have no brand loyalty when it comes to diesels. They are all alienware to me.

I certainly learned that trying to be the fastest in anything is an exercise in national debt building. I look at new sedans in Road & Track running in the 13s routinely and even some special ones getting into the 12s and 11s and it just doesn't seem fair. The days when muscle cars held the standard for factory performance are long gone. I even converted to a milder roller cam because I got sick of dealing with the driveability issues to get beat by a Taurus SHO.

Anymore, it's about the sound and the feel. And of course, the styling will never be duplicated.

Well said and so true. If I always get worked up about the next guy beating me I'd go broke.