jholmes217

1st Car Show!

Awesome! Cool to find another Q code as well! Where are you located at?

I'm in the Olympia, WA. area Mach_1.  Wanted to be close to Fort Lewis and American Lake V.A. Hospital when I retired from the Army.

Going to shows is fun, glad u enjoyed it! I would alway see the regulars every year and its nice to make friends there. its great to see that your car stood out, Never judge a book by its cover! 

the last show I went to, they had me park me next to a couple of 69-70 fastbacks and the owners just plain didn't like me cuz I was a coupe owner and they couldn't fathom as to why I would mod a coupe instead of buying and modding a fastback.

luckily, the Judging was actually given to the ppl attending the show and everyone appreciated the car, after the votes were turned in, I won first place. I had a big ass smirk when i picked up my 1st place ribbon and l see all the FB owners just looking at me with envy.. lol felt really proud that my car was able to win 69-70 mustang category. 

Going to shows is fun, glad u enjoyed it! I would alway see the regulars every year and its nice to make friends there. its great to see that your car stood out, Never judge a book by its cover! 

the last show I went to, they had me park me next to a couple of 69-70 fastbacks and the owners just plain didn't like me cuz I was a coupe owner and they couldn't fathom as to why I would mod a coupe instead of buying and modding a fastback.

luckily, the Judging was actually given to the ppl attending the show and everyone appreciated the car, after the votes were turned in, I won first place. I had a big ass smirk when i picked up my 1st place ribbon and l see all the FB owners just looking at me with envy.. lol felt really proud that my car was able to win 69-70 mustang category. 

That is one pretty coupe!

NIce!

I was asked "on the spot" to be a judge at a car show recently.  Apparently one of the scheduled judges had a last minute conflict and couldn't come.  They gave me two rows of cars to judge (there were around 250 cars total in the show). 

Of course, there wasn't ONE SINGLE STANG in my rows.  Most of them were corvettes (one of which was a 2016 and was purchased 6 days prior to the show). 

There were some cool cars though.  I gave the best score to a barracuda restomod.  The owner had done most of the work himself.  It was clean, put together well, and it was a driver instead of a trailer queen.  I didn't give as many points to those who just 'wrote a check'. 

Hey, they asked me to judge so they get my judgment :-).  The show was a fundraiser at a local VA hospital, so it was all for a great cause.

I didn't give as many points to those who just 'wrote a check'.  Hey, they asked me to judge so they get my judgment :-).

I think your style of judgement is what gets my car awards at shows.  :)  My car is far from perfect, but I think people really appreciate how far it came from what it once was.

I don't have a problem with people 'writing a check' -- especially if it's a vintage car.  But I've never been overly impressed with the brand new cars that are entered.  They are always very nice, but I tend to quickly move on.

-Mike

Agreed.  Perfect example is that 2016 vette.  As a judge, I'm not going to find any flaws in a car that was purchased 6 days ago off of the showroom floor.  It's a nice car, but the lack of flaws doesn't mean it should automatically get a higher score than the vintage ride sitting next to it that has required time, money, sweat and blood to restore.  "They don't make em like that anymore."

image.jpg1_1.jpg

Also did my first ever show yesterday. Although the crowd liked my car, the "judges" did not. I was not out for a competition but I noted all the winners were "in the club". I enjoyed the day and was very proud to be there. I worked hard to build that car. I approached another '69 owner ( who eventually won) and asked some technical questions and tried to take some reference photos, but he said his car was exactly as he bought it a few years ago and he didn't know anything about it.

I am a "wrote the check" guy. I my case it was many checks as I ordered and bought the parts that the guy doing the restoration needed. My 69 Mach 1 was in a mess when I bought it so I saw it be torn down, worked over and put back together. I don't have the knowledge, expertise, tools or facility to do the kind of work needed to restore a car even though I would like to. At 63 years old I am a little old to be taking up such a hobby. I readily admit to anyone that asks that I didn't do the work. Only ordered the parts and paid the bills. Unlike the guy that Fantastic talked to I feel that I have a good deal of knowledge about my car. Much of that knowledge was gleaned from forums such as this one. Yesterday was the second car show for us and I really enjoy talking to people with similar interests no matter what kind of car they have.   Dave R.

Just my opinion of course, but when speaking of the 'wrote a check' guy, I'm referring to those folks that simply purchased a finished car and have no clue what they own or no interest in the hobby.  They just like the attention of driving a cool car. 

I'm not referring to those that restore a car using your wallet instead of your labor. 

Same here!  There is nothing wrong with paying to have work done on your car, I just appreciate the vintage cars more than the brand new off the lot cars.  God knows I wouldn't have a driving '69 today if it weren't for access to someone with far more knowledge and tools than myself.

-Mike

I am with you Mike. At a show last year my friend who puts the show on told me a story. A guy approached my friend at the end of the show and bitched because he didn't win a trophy. My friend tried to appease the guy, unsuccessfully. The guy was really steamed. His car? A brand new Corvette. I remembered seeing the car at the show. The only thing special about this car was the temporary tag that was on it. Yes, he had owned the car less than 30 days. He washed it and shined it I guess but he truly did nothing other than "write the check" and expected to win a trophy. Because the car was brand new? or because it was a Corvette? What a idiot.   Dave R.

Whether you are a "wrote the check guy" or a cutter like me, we all love these cars.  Anyone who would save one, regardless of how they do it, deserves a big thumbs up!   Buying new off the lot and expecting a trophy... PPPFT, get no respect from me...