Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

Trunk Lid Question

I have a 69 Fastback, although not a true Mach 1 (after getting the Marti report I found this out), the trunk lid is not made for the spoiler. If I were to put the correct trunk lid on and new spoiler, would I need to replace the hinges and would they need to be relocated?

My 69 mach1 didn't have a spoiler from the factory but that didn't stop me putting one on. You can use the trunk lid that you have and just cut the oval holes in it to take the spoiler brackets. My springs hold the trunk up fine .

You must have been disappointed getting the marti report if someone told you it was a Mach 1 to find out it wasn't.

I currently have a spoiler on the trunk lid.... BUT it is mounted through the hinges. Not sure if the Mach 1 trunk lid is different from the "Sportsroof" version or not. Heck, the spoiler on there might not even be for a Mustang ... I do not know. At this point to have it mounted correctly, I am in search of a Mach 1 trunk lid with the correct mounting locations outside of the hinges. The Mustang is getting a new high end paint job late fall of this year and I would much prefer it to be done right and not look all Jenky so to speak.

Technically....69's weren't meant to have the rear spoilers. With that being said, the trunk lids for 1970 were made to accommodate the rear spoiler brackets with the added oval cutouts.....so there is a difference. For that reason I am looking for a '70 fastback trunk lid (if anyone has a clean one for sale, contact me) and leaving my '69 lid as is. You can attach a rear spoiler to a '69 as many people have done in the past.

There are support brackets that bolt to the underside of the trunk for the spoiler, aquire a set, line them up, drill the holes needed to bolt em up,(they use an existing bolt already in the trunk) then you have the mounting hole location. Just use your 69 trunk lid. http://www.cjponyparts.com/spoiler-bracket-rear-mounts-under-deck-lid-1969-1970/p/RSRB/?year=1969&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CNH_uZHutscCFYU5aQodWCYErA