Sign in to follow this  
Tgriffin91

Lost reverse

Hi all. I have driven my cat roughly 600 miles and my car can no longer shift to reverse. It started about a day ago when I had to give it a little gas to get it to shift into gear and now it won't go at all. All the other gears appear to work. I was reading it could be vacuum issues or a sprag gear? Replaced the fluid and that didn't help.

It is an automatic c4. Thanks for the help!

Transmissions with pump pressure issues usually fail in reverse first, as reverse usually requires higher pressures. Your revving to engage is a tell. You might have a pump problem, but the problem is often older seals getting hard and not sealing. Sadly, the cure is usually an overhaul.

Wycked69,

Thank you for the information on the network54 site. Lots of good stuff on there.

MaxPower,

Unfortunately from looking up symptoms of a bad pump this looks to be my case. I just moved from Arizona to Georgia so funds are pretty tight.

Is there a way to determine it is the pump other than pulling it apart?

Wycked69,

Thank you for the information on the network54 site. Lots of good stuff on there.

MaxPower,

Unfortunately from looking up symptoms of a bad pump this looks to be my case. I just moved from Arizona to Georgia so funds are pretty tight.

Is there a way to determine it is the pump other than pulling it apart?

Well, you can hang some gauges on it and see what the pressures are, but whether it is the pump or just hardened seals, the fix is the same, so it really doesn't matter which the issue is. Unfortunately, there is rarely an easy of short cut fix for transmission issues.

Some people have put aftermarket fluid conditioner, or even break fluid in the tranny in an effort to soften up the seals, but what little fix that provides is usually temporary. I wouldn't do it. Here is a primer if you feel like tackling it yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Automatic-Transmissions-Workbench/dp/1934709824/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439842630&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+c4+transmission

Hey thanks for all the bad news! But seriously thanks. I would enjoy doing it myself but moved into an apartment so don't really have space. I also don't think they would appreciate me tearing my car apart in their parking lot. Ha. Maybe I'll look at local shops for rent and try to do it there.

All,

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately it does appear that my pump may be going bad. I did find a slight leak in the transmission cooler lines and fixed that. I am now able to shift to reverse but found the fluid level has to be a bit lower than the full line. Just have to ride it out as long as I can until I have more time and space to fix the transmission right.