MikeStang

Opinions On 4 Link Kits

I AM ordering a 4 link kit today but would like to hear some opinions.

First here's some info on what I am want / Need.

Since I have a 71-73 Rear housing I will be needing a new housing and some new axles also.

I purchased some US Mags U111 rims and the rear's are 9.5" wide with a +1 Offset so the dish is huge like I wanted but now they stick out a bit too far and rub the quarters when I hit the slightest bump so I needed a new housing anyhow....

I measured last night and I have 2" between the tire and the leaf springs so If I go with a 67-70 Housing I will be moving the tires inboard one inch per side and that Should give me the clearance I need....

HOWEVER since I want a 4 link kit anyhow I would like to go with the most narrow axle housing possible and really suck the tires in so that I can lower the car even more.

This would mean I would need the 65-66 9" housing which is 4" narrower than I have now.

So all that being said I would like to order my 4 link kit with a housing that already has the 4 link brackets welded on as well as the correct axles and would like to get it all from the same place. 

So what's everyone using.... I don't want to fabricate anything but I have the ability to weld the 4 link in.

So lets get some opinions

Will the 65-66 Rear axle bolt right into our cars? Meaning are the spring perches in the same location anc can be used with the 4 link kit without modification.

I would like to bring the wheels in as far as possible and I'm not sure that by going to the 67-70 rear end which gains me 1" on each side is going to be enough to get down like I want so if I went with the 65-66 length housing I would gain 4" total or 2" per side and would work perfectly...And I ave more than 2" inside the wheel well to work with

Yeah I spoke to them.

They can sale me the kit with a housing that has brackets welded on and 31 Spline axles, only problem is I need 28 spline axles and they say they cant supply me with those, so here are my options. 

Order TCI Kit for $1,345.00 without buying the housing and axles, then call Moser and order their housing and axle kit with 28 spline axles for $1,100 and send them the TCI Brackets to install once I get the kit in....OR I can just order the TCI Kit and Order the moser housing and axles and weld the damn brackets on myself.... How hard can it really be.... What do I need a plum Bob, Angle finder and a Ruler and some common sense?

OR I order the TCI kit then just order new axles from Moser and sale the 31 spline axles and probably loose money on them.

Decisions decisions..... Oh plus I need to do a gear swap from 3.25's to 3.89s

It was not difficult to fab my own.  So some common sense and a little reading was key.  I got my brackets from Paul Horton (welder series) http://www.welderseries.com/blog/

He also has really nice 4 link kits.  If you are not afraid of a little welding, it was high on my list, and my mustang II front end is from him.  Really good instructions, and you can always chat with him if you have issues.

Hands down the best rear suspension kit in my opinion is the Street or Track 3-link.  Shaun has developed a absolutely excellent combination of nothing but the best components and tuning.  The performance is exceptional and installation comparatively easy against almost all of the other competitive kits out there.

There is a lot more to good suspension design than what it appears based on the heavily marketed "designer" kits that have become popular.  Full page ads in Mustang Monthly don't mean squat when the flag drops.  We'll just leave it at that.

I looked at the SOT 3 Link and It will probably out do the 4 link kit but for what I am after a 4 link will be More than adequate I think.

I also wasn't really keen on having to put that little hat in the trunk area for clearance LOL, but looks like a bad ass kit.

I need something that's bolt in and go as I don't have a lot of time to be fabbing and welding etc... Even tho that is on the top of my Fun shit to do list LOL... Car has to be ready for Cruising the Coast in October again.... Can not miss it

Hands down the best rear suspension kit in my opinion is the Street or Track 3-link.  Shaun has developed a absolutely excellent combination of nothing but the best components and tuning.  The performance is exceptional and installation comparatively easy against almost all of the other competitive kits out there.

There is a lot more to good suspension design than what it appears based on the heavily marketed "designer" kits that have become popular.  Full page ads in Mustang Monthly don't mean squat when the flag drops.  We'll just leave it at that.

I agree you can't beat SoT for performance. However, I would fit it very difficult to part with my money.

Your second paragraph is dead nuts on!

I looked at the SOT 3 Link and It will probably out do the 4 link kit but for what I am after a 4 link will be More than adequate I think.

I also wasn't really keen on having to put that little hat in the trunk area for clearance LOL, but looks like a bad ass kit.

I need something that's bolt in and go as I don't have a lot of time to be fabbing and welding etc... Even tho that is on the top of my Fun shit to do list LOL... Car has to be ready for Cruising the Coast in October again.... Can not miss it

MikeStang,

Totally understand that motivation!  In this case, the best advice I can give you based on personal experience with exactly the type of kit you are looking for is DO NOT go with anything made by Heidt's if the idea is bolt-in or even quasi weld-in.  I know I'm gunna piss off a few die-hards on this forum for saying so, but facts are facts:  Not one damn part in the Heidt's 4-link kit fit for crap.  I documented ALL of this on my blog and this ain't my first rodeo.  Others have had better luck as I understand it, but fundamental design problems remain even if the kit installs itself.  In the end, I would have been much better starting from scratch.  I blame Shaun at SorT for bringing out his 3-link 3 months after I finished up the 4-link in my car (kidding!).  I've told him so on many occasions too!  Ha! 

Anyway, best of luck with the project.  Now, you might want to duck cuz there will be an incoming hate-missile after my Heidt's comments in 3.......2.......1.....

MikeStang,

Totally understand that motivation!  In this case, the best advice I can give you based on personal experience with exactly the type of kit you are looking for is DO NOT go with anything made by Heidt's if the idea is bolt-in or even quasi weld-in.  I know I'm gunna piss off a few die-hards on this forum for saying so, but facts are facts:  Not one damn part in the Heidt's 4-link kit fit for crap.  I documented ALL of this on my blog and this ain't my first rodeo.  Others have had better luck as I understand it, but fundamental design problems remain even if the kit installs itself.  In the end, I would have been much better starting from scratch.  I blame Shaun at SorT for bringing out his 3-link 3 months after I finished up the 4-link in my car (kidding!).  I've told him so on many occasions too!  Ha! 

Anyway, best of luck with the project.  Now, you might want to duck cuz there will be an incoming hate-missile after my Heidt's comments in 3.......2.......1.....

I am a build it from scratch guy, so missiles from me.  :)

ifmti was me I would either narrow the housing that I have or I would get the housing from a Torino or ranchero and narrow that one. If you are going to a four link kit anyway then there is some mods to do in the first place.

You can also look for a 9" from. 57-59 ford car or ranchero. They are the same width as the early mustang but have the larger axle tubes.

If it was me I would not use an early mustang housing. Yes they will work if you get the right Ubolts and plates but they are expensive because they only came in the HIPO cars

Where are you located. I have narrowed many rear ends

Bob

Mike, Quick question that I thought about when reading about pulling in the tires. Did you clearance the inner fender wells? I was running a 305 and with leaf springs and had to clearance the inner front fender well to get those to fit. If you plan on pulling the wheel in, you may need more room there. If you have already, I missed it, but just wanted to through that out there in case you needed to work on it while it was all apart.

Good luck either way.

Rsanter, I went online and ordered a complete NEW housing from a guy I have ordered parts from before.

I got the 65-66 Length with 3" fully welded tubes, big for ends, drain and fill plugs in the housing, along with some brand new Axles all for under $800.00 so I don't have to worry about breaking anything and I have the big tubes that most of the 4link kits require and I now have the narrow width that I need... So now that that's done Im going to wait 1.5 weeks and when it arrives I will install it and see how it fits and works out then I will have made up my mind on 3 Link Vs. 4 link TCP kit LOL.

I do however need someone to help me do a gear swap haha... I don't have a shop to work in any longer and went ahead and ordered some 3.73 Strange gears and the install kit but don't have the facilities to do it... Anyone up to help me out? I am in Lake Charles now BTW haha

SM both my front and rears were rolled and clearance before I painted the car... I'm only running a 255 up front and 275/40/18 in the rear but the 71 and later 9" is 2 inches wider than the standard 67-69 housing so I got issues LOL 

Well good luck with what ever you get done.

I looked at doing a 3 or 4 link, but with what I am doing with the car the cost was hard to justify, upgrading the front was good and made a big difference for me.

Well I bought a Newly produced 65-66 width housing... The guy starts with new centers and basically just adds 3" axle tubes and the spring plates in the same locations as factory, So I have the housing length that I need with the big 3" tubes that most of the 4 Link kits need... I also got a set of axles from the guy as well. 

The housing hasn't showed up yet but the Axles have and man are these some heavy duty 28 spline units lol...they look nice and I don't think I will ever tear them up.

First impressions of the Martz pieces I have seen were that they appeared rather crude.  They might work like gang busters, but the fit and finish that I have seen would never make it on any of my projects.  Perhaps the later stuff has improved?

First impressions of the Martz pieces I have seen were that they appeared rather crude.  They might work like gang busters, but the fit and finish that I have seen would never make it on any of my projects.  Perhaps the later stuff has improved?

as of around march this year, the finish looks like sh#%. You can actually see a place on the crossmember where they must have ground the welds with a blindfold and is exposing a joint (at the weakest location). I've literally ended up redoing everything (with the exception of reusing the heim joints). the directions absolutely suck (besides straight up being wrong). I guess I paid for the idea.

as of around march this year, the finish looks like sh#%. You can actually see a place on the crossmember where they must have ground the welds with a blindfold and is exposing a joint (at the weakest location). I've literally ended up redoing everything (with the exception of reusing the heim joints). the directions absolutely suck (besides straight up being wrong). I guess I paid for the idea.

Oh man!  That's much worse that I thought!  Last Martz setup I saw in person was about a year ago and it was far less than impressive.  Sounds like it has gotten worse!