Silver_69_Coupe

Door and Quarter window weatherstripping help?

Can anyone clarify.

This is on a 69 Coupe.

I have glue in glass on my passengers side and the weatherstripping between the quarter window and the door window is on the quarter window.

On the drivers side I have bolt in glass and the weatherstripping is on the door window. There is no weatherstripping on the quarter window.

But here is the most interesting part. I also have a spare glue in door window for the passengers side and it has the weatherstripping on the door window. I also have spare quarter window for the same side and it does not have weatherstripping.

I also notice that the quarter windows are a little different on the passengers side.

My understanding is that glue-in windows had the vertical weatherstrip on the door window, bolt-in had it on the quarter window.

I'd actually like confirmation on this topic too, because my '69 coupe has glue in glass and the strips are on the quarter windows, but I think a previous owner did this incorrectly. (Said strip now blocks the rear quarter windows from rolling down.)

I know many other members here have a lot more knowledge than I do, so I'd like to hear more. Thanks in advance, everyone!

There are different part numbers for the 69 and 70 Passengers side. On CJ Pony

The 69 Part Number is QGC4R-V

The 70 Part Number is QGC8R-V

I did not find and OEM Part number.

I also had in issue when I tried to mount my spare glue in. The windows would actually overlap each other. I had to come up with the correct combination of the windows to make it work.

I acquired a set of '70 bolt-in's from a coupe a long time ago in case I couldn't repair my '69 glue-ins. Here's my observations from comparing the two side by side. 

The glue-in's ('69) have the weatherstrip on the door, nothing on the quarters.

The bolt-in's ('70) are the opposite; the weatherstrip is on the quarter, nothing on the doors.

The overall length of the 2 windows (plus weatherstrip) combined is the same for both years but it is distributed differently. The glass with the weatherstrip is reduced in size to accommodate the weatherstrip.

So the '70 door glass is longer than the '69, and the '69 quarter glass is longer than the '70

This is why a conversion to bolt-in glass should always be done in 4-window sets. If you try to mate '69 quarters with '70 door glass, you'll have 3/4" too much glass down the length of the car which causes problems.

To confuse the issue further, the Cougar had very similar glass, but a longer wheel-base than a Mustang. To accommodate the longer car, the quarter glass is longer in the Cougar. Folks who grabbed Cougar glass from a junk yard to put it in a Mustang ended up with too much glass and problems as well.

Door glass side by side:

post-1146-0-84079000-1439088061.jpg

Quarter glass, '69 on top of '70:

post-1146-0-22549200-1439088122.jpg

Thank you very much.

Here is the strange part to me.

1) My Drivers side door is bolt in and has the weatherstripping on the door.

2) My Passengers side door is glue in and the weatherstripping is not on the door.

This is exactly the opposite of what you explained.

My Extra Passengers side is as you explained. Was there transition phase or something?

The other part is that I have 2 Glue in windows that are different lengths. Or at least as far as I can tell. I will be sitting them side by side when I pull the glass out.