EastYorkStang

Rack and pinions

Starting driving my 70 again after installing a flaming river box. Car still pulls left and right depending on the crown of the road. Thinking about going with a unisteer 8001090-1 but according to the info I've read it might not fit with my headers or stock starter

I'm running headman 88668 units on my 351W with World SR heads.

Has anyone put a rack on their car? I'm broke so I'm trying to stay low cost.

Thanks !

honestly, rack n pinions are great conversion but I suggest going with Total Control Products Rack n Pinion, the other brands that i've herd/read about have so many issues, seems like TCP is the only one with good feedback. if youre broke like me, i would suggest saving up, I rather get the good stuff and not have any headaches know what I mean?

now, there is another option which is the borgeson conversion, but Im not sure if that's what you are looking for. 

also, one more thing, did you rebuild your whole steering set up or just change the steering box? I would look at ur steering components to see if there is no wear. Jack up the car and have some one move the steering wheel left and right and look under it to see if there any worn parts. 

all classics mustangs have this issue. RacknPinion is the way to go. 

I interpret your original comment that you already have the Flaming rive R and P installed. I don't think the bump steer fix will solve your problem with it pulling to one side or the other.  Is it a power steering car?  It sounds like it just need a good alignment, by someone who really knows how to work with these kind of mods. 99% of alignment places will either not do it or not do it correctly.    There was only one place in Minneapolis I found that would do mine, so you need to look around.

Yeah, I agree the pulling sounds like an alignment issue, specifically a toe issue. I could be too much toe out or bump steer acting up.

Where are you located? If you add your location in your profile, it will help as folks in your area can recommend shops. As Dano suggested, I believe a good alignment is in order.

I agree with the alignment issue replies as well. The flaming river boxes are normally pretty good units. I would get the alignment checked out first. As for the Unisteer rack, my honest opinion is to stay clear from it. It seems that the people that have them are split 50/50 with them either working great or horribly. I have one in mine and it would not fit for crap, and took a ton of work to get it to work right. My cousin also has one on his 68 and had the same issues as I did, but there are other people who love them. My opinion is that you would be better going with a TCP or Flaming river rack that have ALL good reviews. It's a lot of money for a crap shoot with the unisteer. Just my 2 cents. 

I put a $150 rack in my 69, but I also put in a Mustang II suspension (welder series), which works well with a rack.  I think $$$ wise I spent ~$600.  However, my time was in the 100 hr range, and tons of modifications.  The car handles really well, and I used a tape measure for the alignment.

I installed Unisteer's power rack in my Mach with a 351W.  I also run Headman headers and a top loader.  I had to do a little relief grinding on the rack's frame to get clearance for one of the wheel alignment bolts and other than that it fit right in. 

Car drives great and it think it was by far the best mod I've done to my car. 

Kyle T.

I cannot recommend Unisteer.... I installed one of their manual racks and it has had play in it from day one. I even had someone move the steering wheel back and forth and check all of the other steering components for play (Which was all new stuff that I replaced) and the play is right in the rack itself. I even tried to adjust the rack to tighten it up which did not work. Once I save up some coin I am going to do the Borgeson power steering conversion that uses the Saginaw style system.

Since i have tried every single rack conversion the TcP is the best for sure vut i think the best feel is from thr Boregeson integrated power steering box with poly bushings throuhgout and upgraded front end it feels awesome. I wish i did the borgeson on other cars first before the rack conversions. Unisteer and randals in my opinion suck and limit travel. The tcp deal will set you back $3000 with pump i think and still suggest th boregeson and there are no issues with headers doing this

Starting driving my 70 again after installing a flaming river box. Car still pulls left and right depending on the crown of the road. Thinking about going with a unisteer 8001090-1 but according to the info I've read it might not fit with my headers or stock starter

I'm running headman 88668 units on my 351W with World SR heads.

Has anyone put a rack on their car? I'm broke so I'm trying to stay low cost.

Thanks !

This is off topic from your post so I decided to pm you but some reason it did't go through.  I was wondering how you like the world sr heads I am thinking of purchasing a set. Thanks for any feed back. You may PM me if you prefer.

Dave