Sign in to follow this  
fordguy69

Info for GPS speedometers.

FYI for you guys that may be considering a GPS speedometer. 

I could not find a place that didn't look like crap to mount the antennae/sender for the GPS.  I did some research and found that GPS will go through vinyl, leather or foam, but will not go through metal and some fiberglass or carbon fiber. 

I pulled the dash pad off and my repop dash pad already had some small holes in the metal underframe that supports the dash pad and one was at the center top of the passenger side pad hump. 

So I carefully cut a little more of the frame out so that the entire GPS antennae was clear of metal and just had foam and vinyl above it.  Made a small aluminum bracket to fit under the GPS and screwed it to the metal framework of the dash so that it held the GPS top right at the same level on the bottom of the foam that the metal had been.   Figured that it would support the foam that way and wouldn't get any sag in the dash surface.  Put the dash pad back in plugged in the GPS and it works beautifully.  No trace of the antennae can be seen and it gets perfect signals.  It essentially is placed at the very top of the dash hump with clear view of the sky through the windshield, just under the dash pad. Just make sure you put it far enough toward the firewall that your passenger side interior trim panel will clear it.

Wish I had taken pictures, but I didn't. I hope I explained it well enough.  And a disclaimer, I am in Florida so I don't have any mountains or tunnels to deal with!  But it works great for me.

And incidentally, the Classic Instruments speedo is dead on accurate.  We have a bunch of taxpayer funded speed signs that radar you and shame you into slowing down,  the speedo has been exactly what the robo radars say.  Just waiting for the cameras to be attached to them so they can robo ticket us too.

You are talking about mounting it where the center speaker sits in the dash?

Where in Florida are you?  I'm up in the central panhandle.  Usually, they put the robo-radars out for a few days then put the troopers out to hand you nice pieces of paper.  Florida doesn't have front license plates, so I'm not sure they can easily devise a robo-ticket system, unless they take pictures from the front and back of the robo-radar.

Chuck

You are talking about mounting it where the center speaker sits in the dash?

Where in Florida are you?  I'm up in the central panhandle.  Usually, they put the robo-radars out for a few days then put the troopers out to hand you nice pieces of paper.  Florida doesn't have front license plates, so I'm not sure they can easily devise a robo-ticket system, unless they take pictures from the front and back of the robo-radar.

Chuck

Not where the speaker is, to the right of that in the middle of the hump on the passenger side on the bottom of the pad where it can't be seen.

These radars are permanently mounted, concreted in with solar power packs, not the portable ones they use.  There are at least 20 of them just on one road. All it would take is a camera mounted on the back side of the sign timed to get your pic from the rear as you drive by.  Just like all the red light cameras in town. 

I am in the Nature Coast area.