Most people use a urethane windshield adhesive. There used to be several threads on the subject here but they've been lost.  I did mine a few years back using urethane and it's held up well. Clean all the old crap out, use some shims to position the glass (I used thin rubber strips, 4 to a bracket). West Coast Classic Cougar has a video on the subject that gives you a good idea what's involved (although not the procedure I used, but there is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say).

I had taken a wire brush and aggressively cleaned out the brackets all the way down to bare metal. So to position the glass correctly in the channel and to prevent any glass-to-metal contact, I cut some strips of thin rubber about 1" wide and 2" long and stuck them in the bracket in a U-shape. (An old inner tube would work for this) Then I filled the channel with adhesive, slipped the glass into the U-shaped shims and let it dry. The shims kept the glass and bracket nicely aligned and kept the glass from touching any metal on the sides or bottom.

In the video, he doesn't remove all the material in the bracket like I did, he just cleans it up, so his brackets slip on snug and aligned without any extra work, which may work just fine.

As I mentioned, there are other ways of doing it but this it what worked for me. Whatever you do, you don't want the glass to be glued in crooked or get broken by the metal bracket when you hit a bump.

I've got some pictures at home I could dig out later today.

I get it now, yeah I'm not the smartest tool in the shed, but what you said makes perfect sense.I've got some old tubes laying around so that's what I'll do. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, P.S. I've got one more guestion, in the video he said put the bracket an inch from the end of the glass. Is that the same for mustangs as well?

Worked for me and seems to be the correct guide. Brian

Brian and Phil, in the drawing is the 27-1/2" measurement to the back edge of the front bracket? The lines don't really extend to any particular point.

Brian and Phil, in the drawing is the 27-1/2" measurement to the back edge of the front bracket? The lines don't really extend to any particular point.

I interpreted it as 27-1/2" from the front of the glass to the edge of the bracket channel. It worked out ok for me on the car.

post-1146-0-38942400-1439040470.jpg

The guy in the west coast cougar video recommends each bracket be exactly 1in from the end of the glass.  That's a little different than the measurements above indicating 3/4in..

It is a really good video, and I was surprised that he left the old glue in also, but it does make sense after you see it done in his video.  

Let us know how it goes and/or post some pics...

For the reference on the measurements, go to 16:48 in the video above.  I'm not saying that guy is the authority for these measurements...

I happen to have my original, stock windows (69 coupe) out right now.  Here are some pictures.  The glue has never been replaced since the part was assembled.  The measurements indicate closer to 3/4in from the end in my car, but I found that depending on how you measure it, you can get any measurement between 3/4 and 1in.  for me, 3/4in seems closer...

post-14729-0-16123500-1439074938.jpg

post-14729-0-02618500-1439074946.jpg

post-14729-0-41087500-1439074960.jpg

post-14729-0-65842200-1439074969.jpg

post-14729-0-95845900-1439074977.jpg

post-14729-0-09874700-1439074988.jpg

post-14729-0-78011300-1439074997.jpg

post-14729-0-04727100-1439075007.jpg

post-14729-0-38434300-1439075014.jpg

What do you consider the "edge of the bracket channel"? I need to glue mine back in and have been looking for mesurments!

The part where the glass is glued. See the red line in the diagram I marked up.

Are these for a Mach ! or are they all the same?

All the same.

For the reference on the measurements, go to 16:48 in the video above.  I'm not saying that guy is the authority for these measurements...

I happen to have my original, stock windows (69 coupe) out right now.  Here are some pictures.  The glue has never been replaced since the part was assembled.  The measurements indicate closer to 3/4in from the end in my car, but I found that depending on how you measure it, you can get any measurement between 3/4 and 1in.  for me, 3/4in seems closer...

Great pics, it reinforces the 3/4" measurement that Glazer/Nolan calls out. Don at WCCC probably measured a car in his yard and came up with an inch on both ends. There's enough adjust-ability in the mechanism that I imagine either number will work.