Sign in to follow this  
po51

Spark Plug wires

Looking for a new set of wires for my new 408W I have a new Pertronix II with a standard cap. I really like the looks of the wires that wrap around the front of the valve covers rather than the ones that go over the top. Who makes the best set? I also have JBA headers on the beast,

In the price category, I think the MSD spark plug wires are very good (NOT the Street Fire series).  I use them on all my vehicles.  Get a universal set so you can route them how you like.  Also get the MSD pro-clamps to hold them. 

On a side note, I like the JBA headers.  I have them on mine as well, the mid-length version JBA offers.

Best wires that you'll ever buy, and they're all custom made. Email him, tell him what you have, and how you want them routed. The boots are high quality and they have a lower resistance than any wire I've seen. I honestly can't remember what mine ohm' out at, but it was considerably less than my MSDs, but I do remember I put one wire on, and the infrared temp gauge showed that cylinder with a 20* EGT increase with a plug wire swap. They may be overkill without a hot ignition though

http://www.firecore50.com

you can buy universal wires and cut them to the length you want . . taylor makes some that are good and reasonably priced . . summit has them . . if your plug boots are close to the headers you can put heat insulator socks on them or .get ceramic ends.

When I was looking for some wires 2 years ago, I wanted to get the lest noisy wire out there. The one I found for the best noise suppression were the magnecor wires. They are about average for ohms per foot, which really didn't bother me over the noise suppression.

you can buy universal wires and cut them to the length you want . . taylor makes some that are good and reasonably priced . . summit has them . . if your plug boots are close to the headers you can put heat insulator socks on them or .get ceramic ends.

I agree with Barnett and its what I've always done, whether its Taylor, Ford Racing, MSD, and Even Pertronix, its best to use the cut to length wires and route them as you wish. I use the Taylor plug wire clamps to route them around the valve covers. Here's a couple photo's of the 429 I did for my brother where I used cut to length wire wires and Taylor plug wire clamps to route them around the valve covers

post-14105-0-44106300-1437307257.jpg

post-14105-0-87870500-1437307285.jpg

and what did that translate to on a dyno?

My car has only ever been on a dyno once (and that was just a pull for a charity fund raiser event), so I don't know. I'm not much of a dyno racer.....

But when I switched from them to the Firecores, the car idled, and ran noticeably cleaner. With so much less resistance, there's little doubt they'll make more power. If one is going more for a look, and they like the Ford Racing wires, by all means, use them, but if you're looking for a good performance wire, leave them on the shelf.

I've had Taylor, Mallory, and MSD plug wires (including custom cut to size wires) on multiple setups, and my favorite's are still the standard Ford Motorsports wires. Save your money, get the Ford wires

yup, I hated my streetfire ones, just recently ordered ford racing ones.