Sign in to follow this  
schweigert

Wheel adapters with proper hub bore?

I just put 17x8 enkei kojin's (w/ 35mm offset) wrapped in Nitto INVO 245/45R17  using a 1.25" adapter - they fit PERFECTLY

However i was not paying attention and the center bore for the adapters i bought are 74mm so they're not resting on the center bore(?)

I measured my center bore and its 61.5mm - is that correct? Im reading its supposed to be 70.5? Did i measure that wrong?

The bore of the rim is 72.6 (but the adapters I got dont have a lip so that didn't come into play.)

I understand it should be sitting on it for safety - just want to make sure I get the right setup.

h5DAeer.jpg

21vYdrG.jpg

I am unaware of a center bore issue...I run 1.5" wheel adapters with 2005+ gt wheels with no problems. Bought them off ebay and never looked back. Whenever I am installing the adapters I do everything in the correct bolt pattern and I go by hand slowly until I need a wrench and still go slowly after that. That way the lug nuts have plenty of time for self-centering the wheel and it puts pressure evenly across the adapters. BTW I really like the way those wheels look on your car, and can't wait to see it once you get your ride height sorted out.

Vintage mustang wheels are lug-centric. This means the wheel is centered by the cone taper of the lug nuts, not the center pilot. Hub centric wheels don't have a cone taper, and frequently use a multi piece lugnut

The best practice in my opinion is to have the wheel or adapter ride on the outer hub. The good adapters have a lip that the wheel rests on in place of the hub. When the wheel rides on the hub it has more strength than relying only on the studs.

You don't need the wheels to be on the hub but it is better if it is.

How about machining a spacer that will fit on the hub to make up the difference verses buying new adapters

Bob