Raven R code

survival rate of original 1969 mach 1's

Nobody really knows. Since about 24% of all '69 Mustangs produced were Mach I's, most folks just take a guess at how many '69's survived and take 24% of that number.

The actual number is probably a smidge higher, since more Mach I's were likely rescued than coupes, 6-bangers, etc.

Then there's the issue of how many 302 and 6-cylinder Sportsroofs are now restored as Mach I clones?

I've always hoped Kevin Marti is keeping track of all the reports he is generating and can publish some stats someday. Since so many Mustang owners request their Marti Report, that's probably the closest thing to a true world-wide registry the hobby has.

I've always hoped Kevin Marti is keeping track of all the reports he is generating and can publish some stats someday. Since so many Mustang owners request their Marti Report, that's probably the closest thing to a true world-wide registry the hobby has.

Now that report would be something I would love to see! Maybe we could put a poll together...but it would have to go beyond this site.

To me, on the west coast, 69 Mach 1's seem rare regardless of whether they are restored, original, or rusting away.  I only know of 3, including mine, in my area.  And one of these three I have never seen.  It seems people in the mid west and east coast see a lot more 69 and 70 Mach 1's so they don't seem so rare to them.

Actually, that raises a question in my mind.  Why does there seem to be more classic muscle cars in the mid west and east coast than on the west coast?

It depends on what you mean by survived . . there are many sitting rusting away in people driveways and wrecking yards . . most anything can be restored but...

I would say roadworthy vehicles....... But then rebuildable should be included too.

The topic of a registry comes up every now and then.  There are a few out there, but they seem to have gone inactive.  I would love to create one, but I don't have even the most basic knowledge regarding how to make it happen.

I'm surprised there isn't a Mach I registry already, you should certainly start one if you have the time and interest.

We have a registry of sorts for all '69's here on the site

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52959-mustang-unit-numbers-spreadsheet/page-8

Then there's the grandaddy of all Mustang registries here.

I encourage all 69Stang members to put their cars in both.

This guy claims to have about 2700 of the 41,000 1970 Mach 1's registered.

The trouble with registries is getting people to participate. You  can see our own registry only has ~150 cars after being around for almost 6 years. Not every Mustang owner cares about being part of the "community" and not everyone uses the internet. Of those on the internet, a lot don't know or care about Mustang forums, and even fewer take the time to participate. So you end up with a very small sample size and try to extrapolate the numbers to guess what the real totals are.

That;s why I think Kevin Marti has such great potential, because he gets probably the highest participation of any Mustang entity in the world. 

Because the west coast had the most rust free cars so people from back east and Europe and Australia etc simply came to the west and bought all the good cars.

Have to agree Barnett . The amount of american muscle that has come down under in the last ten years is mind blowing. When going to a few local car shows the majority of cars are US  cars.. They seem to be cheaper to purchase than Aussie muscle cars. Thats what i found and thats why I imported my 69 mach 1.

Being on the west coast that news is rather disappointing.  I hope mine always stays here on the west coast.

As long as you don't move or sell the Mach 1, it will! :)

My car is a real oddity.  East Coast car sold at Academy Ford in Laurel, Maryland September 1968.  The guy I got the car from got it in Texas and the guy before that from Chicago, Ill.  Before that who knows.  My point ?  This car has all of it's original sheet metal.  No rust in the floors, one soft spot behind the drivers seat, and is in amazingly great over all condition.  So, got to be the exception to what we usually expect to see.  Brian

around here i have seen a great many crashed, especially cause way back they were also daily drivers in the winter time.  even my 2 uncles who had 69-70 Machs, after they were sold the cars were crashed within a few years, the others 68 GT fastback same thing, the only ones that stayed alive were my moms 68 coupe and another uncles 66 fairlane convert.

Living in California there is a cut off year for the two year smog inspection requirements.  It used to be 30 years or older didn't require these smog inspections but I'm certain it has changed.  I've read 1975 and older are exempt from smog inspections but I would have to double check.  I know it doesn't apply to 69 or 70 vehicles.  The smog laws are terrible here.  My daily driver F150 barely scraped through a few weeks ago because the high flow cat is wearing out.  Some shops pick and choose the cars they test too avoid models with high failure rates.  I think the strict smog requirements are related to the state being so densely populated.