scode

1969 mach 1 scode - im afraid of her

So this is an update. My previous build thread got wiped out when this site revamped itself and it had all the progress  (from the ground up) photos there, but they seem to be lost. I think I still have them in my computer somewhere if anyone is interested.

We are literally 2 weeks away from paint now and she is a mean bitch. I am afraid of my car a little bit I think.

I will try my best to answer any questions and I welcome anyone who wants to comment.

This 1969 has been completely modded from top to bottom and I hope that the mods are tasteful and somewhat understated in the end, but its pretty extreme even if the photos don't show the entire story right now.

I welcome anyone to start to point out some mods. You won't see them all on these photos, but they are pretty extensive. I will try to back post some earlier photos for anyone who wants them.

post-38927-0-73903900-1435903077.jpg

post-38927-0-09481600-1435903492.jpg

post-38927-0-89061400-1435903505.jpg

post-38927-0-60242200-1435903513.jpg

Looks slick! Hell of a stance. You mean you drove it without the glass in it? Atta boy. Of course we want to see the build pics, duh! Most of us here only look at the pics anyway. And we surely need to know the drive train and suspension mods please.

the body is all steel. 390 fe built up (started as a scode 390 mach 1.) tko 600 trans and deleted shock towers with a 4 link rear and coil over setup in the front. Disk brakes. 

post-38927-0-14369400-1435945065.jpg

post-38927-0-23679000-1435945328.jpg

post-38927-0-73978000-1435945340.jpg

post-38927-0-62848400-1435945351.jpg

Currently she is sitting too low in the front because the coils were cut a bit too much. It looks mean at that level but the rack is only about 2 inches off the ground so the front has to come up slightly.

post-38927-0-41745300-1435945610.jpg

We cut a strip out of the inner fender wells and then pumped out the fenders by about 1.5 inches then added metal strips back into the cut out areas and cleaned up the bodywork after. Wheels are 17x11and 17x8 and tires are Nitto Motivo

245 /40 R17 95W XL BSW

2 Nitto Motivo
315 /35 R17 106W XL BSW

(2) x 17 x 8 x 4.5 ford / 5.5 backspace
(2) x 17 x 11 / 5 x 4.5 ford / 6.375 backspace

The backspace ended up being over their limitations so I think its 5.5 and I wanted 5.875.

She looks awesome!!! What brand front suspension are you using? If you've got any photos of the rear widening you described, I'd love to see them. Keep the updates coming, can't wait to see it painted.

Bossed

I don't remember, it was something pretty generic off eBay for a really decent price. I think it was from Johnny Law. Rack and Pinion, with a 2" drop and coil overs with a cross member and disk brakes.

I don't have photos of the widening process, I can only describe how to do it. You cut about 2-3 inches out of the inner wheel wells then put a hydraulic pump under the wheel wells to the fender and slowly push them out. Very slowly. Then you cut new metal strips and tack them back into the inner wells and pull out the pump. Form there you have to seam weld the strips and then fill in the metal from underneath and then address and new body work issues that will certainly present themselves. Then we sprayed new rubber underlayment to blend them back in to the wheel wells.

I don't have photos of the widening process, I can only describe how to do it. You cut about 2-3 inches out of the inner wheel wells then put a hydraulic pump under the wheel wells to the fender and slowly push them out. Very slowly. Then you cut new metal strips and tack them back into the inner wells and pull out the pump. Form there you have to seam weld the strips and then fill in the metal from underneath and then address and new body work issues that will certainly present themselves. Then we sprayed new rubber underlayment to blend them back in to the wheel wells.

Appreciate it, I was thinking you had cut the wheel arch on the quarter panel to expand it outward , and then welded in the void. How much were you able to expand the quarter panel? On the inner wheel house, what is the limiting factor, the radius of the arch?

Bossed