MustangBobby

LED tail lights

Yuck, way too pixelated for me.  I prefer a large amount of LEDs tightly placed so you lose the LED "dots" and it glows just like if a bright bulb were in there.

Well my take is if that is important then spend 2X more, and get what you like.  BTW the cell phone shows the pixelation where it is much harder to detect with the eye.  In the end they are a hell of a lot better than the single bulb.

Yuck, way too pixelated for me. I prefer a large amount of LEDs tightly placed so you lose the LED "dots" and it glows just like if a bright bulb were in there.[/quote

Yes I agree . If your changing for safety reasons why wouldn't you just spend the extra coin .

Rehashing the LED tail light shootout. I couldn't settle on a LED option yet. Anyone have any updates or new purchases?

I thought you opted for the digi tails Raven. They have some neat features .

When it came time to push the button....I still couldn't decide. But I need to get some soon. So looking at all options again.

I think these days your spoilt for choice. There's so many kits available. I guess it just depends on what your wanting from your LEDs. The fact that you can switch from sequential to normal is a nice option giving you the best of both modern and old school. My LEDs are standard but that's all that was around when I purchased mine from mustang project years ago. Plus in Australia I don't know if we can run sequential tail lights. If I did it again I would get the Digi-tails just to have an option. Good luck.

Still a huge fan of Vintage LEDs products here. I just realized I never posted my results so here they are. Questionable video quality, sorry about that...

Rear flashers w/ bulbs:

Rear flashers w/ LEDs (sequential set to minimum):

Let me tell you this: there is a HUGE difference, especially during daytime, when the sun shines directly on the rear of the car.

G

I bought Plasma LED bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar. The running lights are twice as bright as the1157 standard bulbs. I also had to use an electro mechanical flasher (X2 regular and emergency). The

lenses are original ford tooling, painted the reflectors chrome silver. They are unbelievably bright.

Watch the video on the same site.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html

I bought Plasma LED bulbs from West Coast Classic Cougar. The running lights are twice as bright as the1157 standard bulbs. I also had to use an electro mechanical flasher (X2 regular and emergency). Thelenses are original ford tooling, painted the reflectors chrome silver. They are unbelievably bright.Watch the video on the same site.http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma2.html

They are definitely bright, but it is still one bulb. How much are they? I still like they idea of going sequential. Make sure to post a short video .

@Guillaume69, after posting your vid I looked into their site, its sparked my interest that you can actually adjust your speed when going sequential. I spoke with Gary, and bought their kit.

I like digi-tails, but i just dont want to cut up my wires right now imma try these on for size and see how these work. I should receive them sometime next week.

alot to do since im getting the car back this saturday.

I installed the Mustang Project sequential LEDs about 2 years ago.

Last August I noticed the RH unit was dead. I contacted Mustang Project  and eventually they sent a replacement at no cost. (Lifetime warranty)

In the meantime I had converted back to standard bulbs.

I finally refitted the LEDS in March this year and found the replacement unit didn't operate correctly. Refitted bulbs so I could take the car away.

Have sent a couple to emails to Mustang Project about the latest issue but am getting no replies.

I was looking to add the LED sequential hood signal units next, but wont be doing anything with Mustang Project until this is resolved.

Will keep you posted.

Have to say if I was starting  again, I would be looking at the Vintage LEDs, the mounting system looks like it would but much less stress on the boards than the MP version. I might look at replicating their mounting with the MP units if they ever respond.

Vintage LED's are the best on the market IMHO.  I used Gary's tail lights, front turn signals and back up lights.  They are extremely well built and function beautifully.  The LEDs he uses are very high quality.  I couldn't be happier with them.

I installed the Mustang Project sequential LEDs about 2 years ago.

Last August I noticed the RH unit was dead. I contacted Mustang Project  and eventually they sent a replacement at no cost. (Lifetime warranty)

In the meantime I had converted back to standard bulbs.

I finally refitted the LEDS in March this year and found the replacement unit didn't operate correctly. Refitted bulbs so I could take the car away.

Have sent a couple to emails to Mustang Project about the latest issue but am getting no replies.

I was looking to add the LED sequential hood signal units next, but wont be doing anything with Mustang Project until this is resolved.

Will keep you posted.

Have to say if I was starting  again, I would be looking at the Vintage LEDs, the mounting system looks like it would but much less stress on the boards than the MP version. I might look at replicating their mounting with the MP units if they ever respond.

No response from Mustang Project yet, have emailed and phoned from New Zealand with no response.

Any ideas how I can find out if they are still in business?

Still sending me generic sales emails though.

No response from Mustang Project yet, have emailed and phoned from New Zealand with no response.

Any ideas how I can find out if they are still in business?

Still sending me generic sales emails though.

site is still up and running, I ordered the Seq. hood scoop lights a week ago. I emailed them this morning for a status update and they responded within the hour saying my part was shipped and they also included a tracking number. Have you been calling at the appropriate hours? I mean I know ur a day ahead of us but I would keep trying.  

I think the vintage LEDs is what I'm going with. Anyone know what the warranty situation is on these bad boys?

I emailed Gary about warranty:

I offer 30 days money back if you are not happy with the lights.

2 years warranty.

However, if anything should go get damaged or fail, I can easily replace any of the components at no charge.

I emailed Gary about warranty:

I offer 30 days money back if you are not happy with the lights.

2 years warranty.

However, if anything should go get damaged or fail, I can easily replace any of the components at no charge.

funny, I was about to email Gary about the warranty. 

Thanks for posting. 

I just watched Gary's video and those look cool. The MP looks similar but this looks like it might be a better product.

Question: his website says need replace the flasher module....anything else? Under accessories, he has listed 2 different flashers listed.

I just emailed Gary about the warranty too! Lol . I like the ability to change modes and variable timer for the signals.

Can I get a show of hands....how many people are thinking about getting these lights? I will talk to Gary about a discount if we can get a number of people to commit.

Dave

More info from Gary at Vintage LED........

There are two variable here.

Blinker rate and sweep rate.

The blinker rate is how fast the flasher module turns the lights off and on. I offer a fixed and variable speed flasher module. The fixed speed has an on and off time of about 0.5 seconds. With the variable speed flasher, you can set the on/off speed from about 0.4 sec to about 0.8 sec. A few customer wanted a slower flasher rate so I offer this.

Now the boards have a Potentiometer to set the sweep rate, or how fast the 3 segments turn on from left to right and vice versa.

If you turn the pot fully CCW, then the each segment will turn on at a slower rate. Fully clockwise, they will sweep so fast that it will look solid.

Why did I do this? During the development of this project, I tested several different manufactures of flasher modules and found that they could vary in blink rate between 0.4 and 0.6 seconds. Because of this, I would have had to make the preset sweep rate to be fast enough to match the fastest flasher on the market. By adding the POT adjustability, I gave the end user the ability to accommodate for flasher to flasher or vehicle to vehicle variability.

Now to match up the sweep rates is simple. Just install the flasher of your choice, (you will need an LED or no load flasher).

With the variable speed flasher, set it to your desired on and off time.

Plug the LED board into the sockets and lay them in the trunk.

Turn on your hazards, make one side right and one side left. Then adjust the pot till you get the sweep rate you are looking for. Check the turn signals to verify they work correctly also.

Now install the LED boards in the light buckets.

I hope this clears it up.

Check out the 64-66 video.

https://youtu.be/o5pdUKDZekc

I also have front park lights and wicked bright reverse lights.

All the electronics I use are Automotive qualified.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Thank you

Gary

www.vintageleds.com

More info from Gary at Vintage LED........

There are two variable here.

Blinker rate and sweep rate.

The blinker rate is how fast the flasher module turns the lights off and on. I offer a fixed and variable speed flasher module. The fixed speed has an on and off time of about 0.5 seconds. With the variable speed flasher, you can set the on/off speed from about 0.4 sec to about 0.8 sec. A few customer wanted a slower flasher rate so I offer this.

Now the boards have a Potentiometer to set the sweep rate, or how fast the 3 segments turn on from left to right and vice versa.

If you turn the pot fully CCW, then the each segment will turn on at a slower rate. Fully clockwise, they will sweep so fast that it will look solid.

Why did I do this? During the development of this project, I tested several different manufactures of flasher modules and found that they could vary in blink rate between 0.4 and 0.6 seconds. Because of this, I would have had to make the preset sweep rate to be fast enough to match the fastest flasher on the market. By adding the POT adjustability, I gave the end user the ability to accommodate for flasher to flasher or vehicle to vehicle variability.

Now to match up the sweep rates is simple. Just install the flasher of your choice, (you will need an LED or no load flasher).

With the variable speed flasher, set it to your desired on and off time.

Plug the LED board into the sockets and lay them in the trunk.

Turn on your hazards, make one side right and one side left. Then adjust the pot till you get the sweep rate you are looking for. Check the turn signals to verify they work correctly also.

Now install the LED boards in the light buckets.

I hope this clears it up.

Check out the 64-66 video.

https://youtu.be/o5pdUKDZekc

I also have front park lights and wicked bright reverse lights.

All the electronics I use are Automotive qualified.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Thank you

Gary

www.vintageleds.com