Raven R code

3M Di-Noc , dark walnut

does anyone know if there is anyplace that can die cut the wood grain overlays to exact specs? I am getting frustrated with everything being a slightly different shade of walnut. I would like to buy a large piece of 3M Di-Noc of dark walnut (with correct graining/texture) and get everything cut from it.

So , looking for a supplier with correct material and someone to die cut the radio bezel and console insert.......unless someone already does this.

Thanks,

Dave

Not just a cutting issue I wouldn't think.

The curved shape would require some heating and manipulation.

Find a good shop that does wraps and tell them what you want and that you will supply the material, a good installer could probably get it nailed down.

On a side note I may be getting rid of my dark nut panels and going to a solid color and if I do mine will be up fer sale LOL

I don't think you'll find someone to cut the di-noc. I used marine teak for '70 and it was an exact match to what was under the "MACH I" emblem on the dash which had not been exposed to sun.  

When you apply the Di-noc with a heat gun, it will form to what you are applying it to, and you can get some clean and detailed cuts with a sharp exacto-knife. Make sure the underlying surface is spotless as even a grain of sand will show in the final product.

My one set of clusters have been stored since 1973 and there really isn't any detectable fading( the whole cluster is the same as what is under the Mach 1 dash bezel). My hope is that someone in the US has the die stamps for cutting out the console and radio bezel outlines, then I can send a whole sheet with the same grain and shading. The clusters do not look too difficult to do. The only hard part that I can see is that indent on the clock side where the Mach 1 emblem goes but I can tell by the way the grain is stretched how that area was worked in (from the bottom). It just sucks the the people that sell the current stuff can't get on the same page. If they are going to do it....why not do it right?!

does anyone know if there is anyplace that can die cut the wood grain overlays to exact specs? I am getting frustrated with everything being a slightly different shade of walnut. I would like to buy a large piece of 3M Di-Noc of dark walnut (with correct graining/texture) and get everything cut from it.

So , looking for a supplier with correct material and someone to die cut the radio bezel and console insert.......unless someone already does this.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, there is a guy in Illinois who sells the die cut pieces of the 3-M DiNOC for the door panel inserts (both for original bezels and the aftermarket as there is a slight difference), the console insert, and the radio bezel. My brother bought the complete set of inserts and they fit perfect !!.  Send me a PM and I'll send you his name and email address.He had an ebay website at one time but I don't know if he still does.

As for the instrument cluster and clock panels, that has to be done using a sheet of Di- NOC which I have done myself and posted these photos before. 

post-14105-0-16449500-1435970535.jpg

post-14105-0-95513700-1435970544.jpg

post-14105-0-57167400-1435970558.jpg

post-14105-0-58521400-1435970573.jpg

post-14105-0-72606700-1435970582.jpg

post-14105-0-04030900-1435970591.jpg

post-14105-0-03054900-1435970606.jpg

post-14105-0-65786300-1435970618.jpg

post-14105-0-98022200-1435970624.jpg

Dave, there is a guy in Illinois who sells the die cut pieces of the 3-M DiNOC for the door panel inserts (both for original bezels and the aftermarket as there is a slight difference), the console insert, and the radio bezel. My brother bought the complete set of inserts and they fit perfect !!.  Send me a PM and I'll send you his name and email address.He had an ebay website at one time but I don't know if he still does.

As for the instrument cluster and clock panels, that has to be done using a sheet of Di- NOC which I have done myself and posted these photos before. 

You did this ! You need to do a step by step  ,either that or i am sending my panels to you to recover .

Thanks Ridge, yes I did those. It was my first shot at it and I even impressed myself. I learned some things while doing the instrument side that helped on the clock panel. To me, the clock panel is most difficult and especially the recessed part where the emblem lays. I actually did the clock panel twice as I had problems in the recessed area. You have to be careful not to get an air bubble trapped in there while forming the impression.

I have another set to do for a friend in a couple months when he's ready and maybe I can take some step by step photo's then.

I think its important to have the part properly cleaned and prepped. I only applied etching primer to the back side of the panels and left the front side bare metal where I then applied the recommended 3M DiNOC primer. I also applied the edge sealer in areas where the edges of the DiNOC would end. The rest is just taking your time and not rushing anything. I used whole sheets and trimmed as I went along.

I am so sorry to hear about this :(

I just looked at my eBay account and realized Chris and I messaged each other quite a few times (last time was June 2nd). Very nice guy and extremely helpful.

Again....Adam, I am sorry for your family's loss. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

Dave

Hello, My name is Adam and I just wanted to let every one know that my brother "shelbycarz" passed away in June 2015.  Myself and the rest of my family have no intentions of continuing his business. He built it from scratch and his attention to detail and concerns of his customers were always his top priority. I ask that if any one inquires about "shelbycarz" that you please inform them of Chris's passing.

So sorry to hear about your brother Adam. Chris helped me out a few time and was always willing to share his knowledge. His products were always top notch. I will place a post on the Australian mustang forum to let the guys down here know.