Sign in to follow this  
970fizz

Starting issue!!! Need some HELP

I'm having some starting issue on my 70 sportroof 351w 4 speed. Some thimes the car just won't start, not even turn over, almost like there is no battery. And some times it starts fine. A lot of the time when it doesn't start, I let the clutch out and then turn the Key. Then I put the clutch back in as soon as it starts to turn over. And sometimes I just have to flat out jump start it with the clutch out.

Before I start replacing parts, where to start? Any ideas or anyone run into this before? I also have a light problem, they flicker bad when on, maybe it's related maybe not?

Thanks for any help

My neighbor had that similar issue on his 65 Fastback.  Sometimes fine, sometimes no crank and all electrical was dead.  His was a poor battery cable end connection where the positive battery attaches to the starter solenoid.  it could be many other things, battery with a shorted cell, poor ground, bad starter.  Have you tried rapping on the starter with a hammer when it won't crank?

When yours does not crank, do the lights, radio and other electrical stuff work?  I don't know if a 1970 has a clutch interrupt switch?

When you say "jump start it" do you mean push start the car or jump start it with jumper cables?

Yes the lights and radio work when the car won't start. I haven't trued hitting the starter with a hammer yet. And when I say jump it. I mean with jumper cables and my truck. With u is odd because the Battery is good.

Start by cleaning battery connections, While the cables are off flex them, Do they crackle? Possable corroded under the covering which will cause this problem.

clean and tighten ALL grounding straps and connections, poor grounds are the most problem areas overlooked when you have a good battery and no crank.

Ok. So new issue!! So the car won't start at all without jumping the battery. But the battery test fine.

I isolated the problem to the solenoid, but when I replace the solenoid with a new Napa auto parts one, a new problem showed up. Car starts fine but the starter won't disengage. (Had to pull the positive battery cable!!). Took it back to Napa thinking I had a bad solenoid, got a new one and same thing!! Can't be 2 bad solenoids in a row???? What am I doing wrong? Where should I start?

This is a stupid problem.

Thanks for any help

Sounds like the wires to the two small terminals on the solenoid are connected incorrectly keeping it engaged.  I think the terminals are labeled "S" and "I".  The wire to the "S" terminal has 12V from the ignition switch while cranking only.  No other wires connect to the "S" terminal.

After rereading your original post, I was wondering did the starter disengage after it started before replacing the solenoid?  I ask because unless a previous owner changed things you manual trans should have a 11" clutch an 164 tooth flywheel.  If somebody installed a starter for an automatic transmission or for the smaller 157 tooth manual trans flywheel, the starter will never disengage.