Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

Front Coil Springs

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing the restoration on my 69 Sporstroof.  I changed out the 351W for a FE 390.  I have stock suspension and steering with KYB shocks.  I have the 428 springs.  All new parts across the board.  I did the 1" Shelby drop.  I noticed that when the car is on the ground both springs are bowed in the middle.  Any suggestions on the cause and the fix.

Thanks  Mark

I believe the spring perches are installed correctly.  I didn't do that part of it.  How would I tell if they are?

Thanks Mark

The stock perches has a radius cut on one side to clear the hump on top of the UCA where the ball joint mounts. The other way to tell is the tang or stop on the perch that the end of the last coil goes against should be toward engine bay. I just ran into this myself as to which way they are installed a few weeks back.

Dave

The only time I have seen the condition you describe is when someone had heated the springs with a torch to lower a car.

They do,it,to allow the springs to sag a bit. The problem is that they remove the temper from the springs and they will continue to sag until they get to where you describe.

Bob

Do you know for certain the lower perches are installed correctly?  I still wonder about that.  Those temps to cure the powder coating are less than half of the annealing temps.  My front springs were powder coated from the manufacturer without any issues.  I wouldn't think so, but I guess it is possible if those springs were cold rolled that 400 deg for 45 minutes could have relieved some residual stresses from forming, now causing them to bow.  I would still double check that they are installed correctly.  Were they straight before they were installed?

The motor is installed.  Best I can tell the perch and the stop are correct.  How do I tell if the top of the spring is positioned correctly?  It looked a little off centered. It's hard to get pics because of the flash.  The ride height is OK.  I thought it was about 1" to tall with the Shelby drop.  I will get pics of the spring top and download tomorrow.  Thanks for all the good info.

Mark

It seems the last coil at the perch is clocked a little past the stop and the stop looks bent down. May just be my eyes, hard to tell from the pic's.

After a second look, I also don't see the stop that should be against the end of the coil.  Cannot tell what happened to it from the picture.  Also, the upper still looks like its not seated or something.

Perches are installed correctly and spring is in right on the bottom, just check to be sure they are seated on the top good, and that's about it.

They may look a little bowed until you get the weight on the springs and compress everything.

Also I have noticed that sometimes for whatever reason if you install the spring into the perch and rock it back to try to install it in the top it will actually lock the perch back into an odd position but it doesn't appear that yours is too far back and it all looks right.

It looks like the perch is pointed at the shock tower cover, not the center of the upper spring seat ( hole the shock goes through). To bow a spring, the top or the bottom has to be at an odd angle. With the car sitting like it is in the bottom photo, try and rotate the perch to see if you can get the bow out of the spring. 

Thanks everyone.  I noticed today the top part of the spring is off center about 3/8".  It is closer to the tire side then the engine compartment.   I will try and move it to the center of the top of the shock tower opening tomorrow. 

Mark