Sign in to follow this  
STL. Mark

351 Windsor

I am assuming you are referring to a 351W.  In stock form the FMX is stronger than the C4.  That is why Ford used it with the 351W.  Actually, up through the end of the 351W production in 1997 Ford had always installed larger stronger automatic or manual transmissions with the 351W than the 302 had.  The C4 will fit like 1969vert mentioned.  The FMX used a 164 tooth flexplate and a 28 oz. imbalance.  I'm not certain how that interchanges.  I'm sure somebody will chime in with all the details.

If this is your first experience with a 351W, you'll be amazed how much more power the 351W has over a 302.  In my opinion the 351W never got the recognition it should have for a performance motor.

I am now running a 351W stroked to 408W with a C4 that was originally behind my stock 302W. I had the C4 built to handle 650 Hp and currently have approx 550 Hp (looking for more in the future).

I stuck with the C4 as they can be built economically to be stronger than a FMX and are much lighter.

I am not sure if you had a C10 in America but we have them here and they are stronger again than a C4 and stronger and lighter than a FMX.

When and more likely if my C4 fails this is what will be going behind my 408W.

I am assuming you are referring to a 351W.  In stock form the FMX is stronger than the C4.  That is why Ford used it with the 351W.  Actually, up through the end of the 351W production in 1997 Ford had always installed larger stronger automatic or manual transmissions with the 351W than the 302 had.  The C4 will fit like 1969vert mentioned.  The FMX used a 164 tooth flexplate and a 28 oz. imbalance.  I'm not certain how that interchanges.  I'm sure somebody will chime in with all the details.

If this is your first experience with a 351W, you'll be amazed how much more power the 351W has over a 302.  In my opinion the 351W never got the recognition it should have for a performance motor.

you can use the 164 tooth flywheel with a truck C-4... 154 tooth normally a car transmission.. different bell ..... with the right stock parts..it will interchange..I run a 164 truck in my black car..stronger case.. and 154 was in my vert now its a toploader..He.He.

That's because the competition made mostly stronger small blocks during the era. It's all in the heads

Might want to give some thought to maybe using a AOD  there's alot of performance parts for them or you can buy one already built that overdrive gear is nice. I've built two with no issues todate. just like everything else there's some years that are stronger than other years

Might want to give some thought to maybe using a AOD there's alot of performance parts for them or you can buy one already built that overdrive gear is nice. I've built two with no issues todate. just like everything else there's some years that are stronger than other years

Any tips on setting up the TV cable on a carburated motor.

I went with a C6 behind my 351w stroked to a 427w. Wish I would have gone manual or a built c4. JBA headers didn't fit on mine with the shock tower delete and rod and custom rack and Pinion. Had to go with bbk headers.

Might want to give some thought to maybe using a AOD  there's alot of performance parts for them or you can buy one already built that overdrive gear is nice. I've built two with no issues todate. just like everything else there's some years that are stronger than other years

I'm planning on going with an AOD behind a mild 351W. A local trans shops says they can prep my '88 AOD for whatever I whatever I want. I do plan to upgrade the 351 eventually will likely go with something like the Holley throttle body F.I. set up. I'm open to any recommendations. I hope to make my '69 a daily driver.