Ridge Runner

What was the first car you bought and paid for

What was your  first car or truck , bought and paid for by your very own self .

Mine was a 1935 Ford pick up .I paid $50 for it at a wrecking yard in Lindsay California .

I was 16 when i bought it and still in high school. I built the entire thing all by my self ,with directions from our local paint and glass shop .It had a 67 cougar nine inch rear end ,289 hipo and 4 speed bought from a wrecked 66 Hertz Shelby Mustang .I loved that old truck .In fact i painted it 4 times in two years to keep it looking fresh ,i was told i painted it more times than i changed my socks HAHA! i wound up having just about $3000 in it when i was finished ...and that was with 4 paint jobs ! It started out white then Black ,then Corvette Emerald Green ,then Flame red . I found pics of it Black and Emerald Green but that is the only pics i can find .I drove this little truck 5 days a week between Fresno and Bakersfield and never had it break down .I finally sold it in 1984 to buy a 1978 Ford pick up ,that i still have .It took me several years to find another one ,in the hunt for another one i wound up with 6 35 -37s .soon i will have one of the 35s done . 

What do you think of those wide tires hanging out of the rear fenders ...LOL Hey i was 17 at the time of these pics HAHAHA!

3_zpshsnfe34h.jpg

4_zpsh0im3kc1.jpg

That truck is sweet. Looks great in black. But you're right, put some thinner rubber on the rear smiley-happy119.gif

My first car? The one in my sig! I saved up all my money the summer I turned 16 working as a busboy (1974) I found this sitting in a gas station with a for sale sign in it - $800.

post-1146-0-13620000-1433642453.jpg

1967 Mustang hardtop with a mild build 289 and 4 speed.  Paid $4000 for it from a guy in my platoon.  Learned a lot from that car.  Didn't have the money to pay someone to fix it usually, so I took it to the auto crafts shop on base and fixed it with the techs help there.

1969 Rover 2000. Bought as it was available on the farm I was working on at the time, but rather rusty. I slid it into a parked Volvo in the snow - guess which came off worst?

Luckily it had a unique construction where all the body panels (including the roof) bolted onto the 'chassis' - so didn't I do just that...

Rover%204.jpg

Then I got it sprayed and it looked a bit better...

Rover%207.jpg

And sold shortly after as I'd already acquired its replacement - in the background in the 'before' photo. 

This 56 F100 big window, 352fe, top loader, 9 inch and 4" dropped axle. Pieced it together starting when I was 18. Stripped it to bare metal. Sold it in 1980 when I moved for my first job and didn't have a place to store it :( Thanks for bringing up that bad memory Ridge Runner :) This is my only pic. Don't know why I removed the hood, but I do know they were heavy!

IMG_20140103_125740_zps2d2e7085.jpg

I felt the same way when i had to get rid of my 35 Bob .It was a lot of fun to drive ,until it broke a pin in the wishbone and axle .I hit the brakes hard one day and it went five different directions at the same time .That was the only problem i ever had with it .It is still in Fresno ,i saw it a car show not to long ago .It is still painted red but now it has black fenders .

This is what i have to replace the first one .I have been hunting parts for about 15 years now and it is bondo free .I wound up with 5 more looking for parts ,now i am looking for parts to finish them . This one will be Gulf Stream Aqua with Aqua and light Grey interior .It is done except for paint and interior .

5e53847eb250_zpsotytzo5n.jpg

The first car I bought and paid for myself was the 1969 Mustang Coupe that I am just know finishing up it's complete restomodification.  I paid another eighteen year old kid 500 bucks for it in 1981 and I had to borrow the money.  Anyone remember Household Finance Company?  It's the way many of us poor kids in the 70's and 80's started to establish a credit history.  I don't remember the interest rate, but I bet it was high!

I have had it for 34 years, seven or eight different motor/trans combos, daily transportation for a while, spent several years dragstrip only, then back to an occasional driver and then sat in the barn for many years.  I even had a straight front axle under it Gasser style in the mid 80's!  Won a few car shows, a few bracket races and a few street races over the years.  Wife even drove and drag raced it for a while. 

Waiting on the painter dude to finish some parts, so I can get it back together for probably the last iteration under my watch. 

The wife will probably sell it after I croak, but I can't. 

The first car I bought and paid for myself was the 1969 Mustang Coupe that I am just know finishing up it's complete restomodification.  I paid another eighteen year old kid 500 bucks for it in 1981 and I had to borrow the money.  Anyone remember Household Finance Company?  It's the way many of us poor kids in the 70's and 80's started to establish a credit history.  I don't remember the interest rate, but I bet it was high!

I have had it for 34 years, seven or eight different motor/trans combos, daily transportation for a while, spent several years dragstrip only, then back to an occasional driver and then sat in the barn for many years.  I even had a straight front axle under it Gasser style in the mid 80's!  Won a few car shows, a few bracket races and a few street races over the years.  Wife even drove and drag raced it for a while. 

Waiting on the painter dude to finish some parts, so I can get it back together for probably the last iteration under my watch. 

The wife will probably sell it after I croak, but I can't. 

House hold finance is who i went through to buy my 78 Ford truck after i sold my 35 LOL!

.It is still in Fresno ,i saw it a car show not to long ago .It is still painted red but now it has black fenders .

I sold mine to a guy who worked at a Honda car dealer that used to be at 99 and Manning. Dealer is gone, no idea who the guy was. Never saw it again. Sigh!

I was just a youngster, so some of the mods I did wouldn't be repeated today. I used 65 Mustang Kelsey Hayes front discs, 69 Mustang manual steering, fabbed the steering column bracket in the pic, push button start.

IMG_20150323_104140_zpslg1m1iuj.jpg

61 plymouth fury wagon "Golden Commando". Bought it for $50 when I was 15. Sold it for $100 in the late 80s. Couple of years ago I discovered it was 1 of 500 Golden Commandos sold in 61.

cars018small.jpg

cars009small.jpg

cars017small.jpg

1978 Ford Granada, yea I know.... It had a 302 and a stick shift. Put all the teenage kid stuff on it. Cragars, air shocks, dual exhaust that exited in front of the rear tires.

Was a really nice car and it ran good enough to surprise people from time to time. Traded it in on a 79 f-250 4x4 after I got snowed in one too many times.

Bought a 69 Galaxie 4 door with a 390 in it for $200, and it didn't last long enough for me to take a picture of it. Front suspension collapsed a week later. Bought a Calypso Coral 1970 Grande next, very similar to the one in my sig. 302, PS, PB Auto Air. It rusted out and fell apart over the next 2 years, but it is the reason my next project is another one like it. The one in my sig is a Cleveland car, no air and manual brakes, making it a 1 of 1 car for all the wrong reasons. I still love it.

I bought the first one in 78 from a little old school teacher next door, who bought a 78 Camaro to replace it.

Mine was a 1968 J coded coupe. I bought it as a senior in high school and drove it daily. When I got ahold of it, someone had put a 351W 2V with a 3 speed in it. It ran decent, drank oil, and wouldn't get out of it's own way. Swapped it and a few hundred dollars for a 289 that my friend's dad had, wasn't much better but didn't go through oil quite as bad. It was a little rusty, had a few quirks, but the fun I had in that thing.

Scan%204_zpsxcroutg9.jpg

Funny how many of us bought Mustangs as our first cars, even the ones in our signatures.  I think I only saw 2 postings that were old Fords of some sort.  Anyway My first car was the 1969 Mustang Grande in my signature.  Got it from my grand parents for $3500 in 1994.  Next came a 84 ranger so the stang would no longer see snow.