Alan_Mac

New Baer 13" Brakes

I am about to pull the trigger on these.   I really like the drum style parking brake.   I hear Baer makes a high quality product.       

Front T4 with 13" one piece rotor, black.  Summit $1695 shipped

https://baer.com/13-Front-Track4-Brake-System.html

Rear SS4 with 13" rotors with aluminum hat.  Baer confirmed SS4 can be setup with 13" rotors.  Baer $1495 + $100 shipping

http://baer.com/12-Rear-SS4-Brake-System-with-Park-Brake-4262243.html

Baer said these will perform equal to the 6 piston versions unless you are running them under extreme race conditions. I am looking for a notable improvement in stopping distance  my 11" disks.  The rotor hats are not visible with my wheel vintques 17" magnum 500 rims.  Anybody use them?  Thoughts. 

Alan      

I updated the link.  Scroll down and there is more information, but not the rotor thickness or piston size.  They  T4 uses a 1998-2002 Camaro pad design (#D0749)  The SS4 uses c5/c6 pad designs.    

I updated the link.  Scroll down and there is more information, but not the rotor thickness or piston size.  They  T4 uses a 1998-2002 Camaro pad design (#D0749)  The SS4 uses c5/c6 pad designs.    

thanks.  i'm not seeing any info of value.  It's so annoying when they don't give you any real specs for what you want to buy so you can compare to other manufacturers.

sorry that I have nothing to add...

I cant really comment on the kit that you linked to, but I can tell you that I had stock power 11" disc up front stock and converted to 13 in Rotors and disc out back and it made a HUGE difference for me. I am however using the Bullitt/cobra caliper and the ones in that kit appear to be a bit more stout than mine, so I can imagine that there would be some difference. I run Baer Rotors and I have no complaints with the set up.

I've heard nothing but good things about Bare, but since piston area is a major factor in braking power, you would expect that info to be listed.

As an alternative look into Wilwood brakes.  They are top quality and tend to be less expensive than Baer.

Here are the brakes I will be running.

140-10219-DR  http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-10219-DR

140-9217-DR    http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-9217-DR

All their specs are on the Wilwood site.  If you are interested in them versus Baer let me know.  I know a vendor that will sell them for about $300 less per axle than Summit and other online shops.

Thanks for the feedback.  My understanding is the larger the rotor the shorter the stopping distance with all things being equal.  I hear the 6 piston calipers are better in extreme track conditions showing less fade and more even pad wear.  I looked at the wilwoods and with a drum brake spindle their largest rotor is 12.19 diameter.  The matching rear are 2.5 - 2.6" offset.  Prices are much better.           

My two best options with Baer

Option 1

Front Track4 4 piston with 13" solid rotors

Rear SS4 4 piston with 12" solid rotors

or

Option 2 

Front Pro+ 6 piston with 13" Al hat rotor

Rear SS4 4 piston with 13" al Hat rotor

Best bang for the buck is option 1.  70%, 30% rear use condition, the 12 in rear rotor will leave a little stopping distance on the table compared to option 2.  Option 2 looks a better from a wow factor, and will perform slightly better. But for $1000 more?  I am a conservative spender but I may go for option 2 since this is likely my only performance car forever.    

What to do?  Alan     

Alan, just in case you need the info, Baer replied back to me about the brakes in your kit.

"The pistons are 1.75" and 1.375"

Area is 3.897"

RPM thanks for the feedback.  I placed my order for the following.

Front 13" Pro+ 6 piston   

http://baer.com/13-Front-Pro-Plus-Brake-System-4261216X.html

Rear 13" SS4 4 piston (shown with 12" solid rotors but I substituted a two piece 13" rotor with Al hat to match the front and increase stopping power).  

Both calipers are black with black logo

Should be awesome!  

Alan, just in case you need the info, Baer replied back to me about the brakes in your kit.

"The pistons are 1.75" and 1.375"

Area is 3.897"

i don't know much about brakes, but that appears to be less area than what's in the stock type piston KH setup I have on my mustang.  are those dimensions for the rear or for a 6 piston front where there are two piston at 1.75 and one at 1.375?

Hey Alan, just checking, dose your car have disc or drum spindles? Only asking cause in one of your posts you mentioned 11" discs, and the kit you posted is for drum spindles.

I have drum spindles.  

The 6P front caliper uses a C6 pad design so the pistons would probably be the same as the C6.  The rear's uses a 2001 camaro pad design....  When I get mine in less than 2 weeks, I'll measure the pistons and disk thickness's and let you know.   Alan 

I'm sure youll love the brakes and kudos for going with no-bling black.

Just a nitpick is that your tires, weight of the car, and suspension are what dictate your stopping distance... Not your brakes, at least for the first handful of stops.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of good reasons to upsize your brakes. Larger brakes will take more heat and stop repeatably for far more consecutive stops than smaller brakes, but as long as your stock brakes can brake hard enough to lock up the tires, they are not dictating your stopping distance.

I agree there are many factors that affect stopping distance.  Two big factors are the diameter of the rotor, and the friction coefficient of the pad compound.  As the radius increases from the centerline of the spindle shaft to the pad, the stopping resistance increases.    Alan           

I agree there are many factors that affect stopping distance.  Two big factors are the diameter of the rotor, and the friction coefficient of the pad compound.  As the radius increases from the centerline of the spindle shaft to the pad, the stopping resistance increases.    Alan

Well actually, they do have a lot to do with how much leg force you need to apply to the pedal, but the diameter of the rotor and the pad have nothing to do with your stopping distance (until we bring brake fade into the discussion after a few stops).

My point is your chassis and tire are the sole determinants of stopping. To illustrate, we can establish that a particular tire compound can only withstand a certain braking force before it just locks up and starts skidding. Every tire has its limit. The tire doesn't know or care what brake is applying that force, it just knows when enough is enough and when its coefficient of friction is exceeded, it starts skidding. As long as your stock brakes can apply that force, pads with more bite and rotors with larger lever effect won't stop the car in any less distance, because they just hit the same tire limit and the car is skidding at the same force. they will just require less leg force from you to get there.

I guess Ford doesn't agree since the new GT's have;  

352 (13.9 in.) x 32mm vented discs, four-piston 46mm fixed aluminum calipers; Performance Package: 380 (15.0 in.) x 34mm vented discs, Brembo s ix piston 36-mm fixed aluminum calipers