Raven R code

Antenna or no antenna

The replacement fenders did not have the hole cut for the antenna .You can cut it your self ,or go with a hidden antenna but i don't know how well they work . I went with an electric antenna in the rear quarter ,it is just a button when the antenna is down .Radios that have an electric antenna hook up will automatically  raise the antenna when the radio is turned on and it retracts when off and i like that because it is not so easy to get broken off.

Typically the hidden antennas need to be in a piece of glass, like the windshield. There is a tradeoff between antennas and signal strength.  Signal strength is what the radio station is broadcasting.  The further you get away from the radio station, the weaker the signal strength. Weaker signal strength stations can be received fine by a good antenna.  The bottom line is that if you are  always in a city listening to local stations, a hidden antenna will be fine. All a hidden antenna needs to be is a wire across the dash.  One thing that you could try is it to put a temporary hidden antenna in and see how it works. All this takes is a wire from the antenna connection to across the top of the dash, maybe by the defroster outlets.  Drive around and see if that gives you good enough reception for your stations.  I could set you up for something to try, if you want.

I did not install my antenna when I replaced my fenders. It looks MUCH better... Plus I don't have a radio anyways and it died, and I never replaced it, cause you can't hear it anyways ;)... If I ever change my mind and replace the radio, I would just use my phone and a mp3 player hooked to the radio.

But if I had a R code, and an original antenna, I would certainly install the antenna weather it was hooked up to a radio or not.

I've got the hidden antenna in my 68 and it works perfectly fine. I have it setting up on top of the glove box liner where it cant be seen. But Danno is correct, the more its exposed, the better the signal reception. I personally don't like the stock antenna, not just the appearance but it tends to get in the way of the car covers, etc.

I'm a fan of not having an antenna.  I think protruding antenna's ruin the look of the car.  I like the shaved look much better.  Gives it a cleaner and more modern look.  I'm also a fan of shaving the drip rails.

^  Those drip rails look good shaved but do also provide some rigitiy to the roof.  Just something to consider

As far as the antennas, depends what you are going for.

I will most likely be using an iPod or something of that nature if/when I listen to music.  For that reason, I will be installing a "hidden" antenna.  I will probably mount it on the glass, behind the rear view mirror.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 3:11 PM, mustangstofear said:

We use both power and the hidden ones

Hi there -- I have a '69 Mach 1 that I'm restoring and have decided to remove the ugly original antenna. Can you share how you connected both antennas and what the hidden one is or looks like?

Thanks,

Peter