Sign in to follow this  
po51

Fuel pumps

I’m getting ready to rebuild my 351W into a 408 stroker for my 69 stang. I would like to keep a mechanical fuel pump and upgrade to a Holley pump. A friend suggested I go with an electric pump, I would prefer to stay with the mechanical pump, any issues with this?

Nothing wrong with a mechanical pump, the only issue I've had with the holley crome pump is the diaphragm coming loose in the pump body.

Edit; plus you don't have to worry about installing an inertia shut off switch.

Yep - nothing wrong with a mechanical fuel pump.  I run the 110 gallon Holley and it works fine.  There are some fancier pumps out there but the Holley seems fine.  Plus don't have to dork with regulators / return lines

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_mechanical_pumps/parts/12-289-11

No issues with mechanical pumps.  You may need a fuel pressure regulator.  Holley, Autolite, and Motorcraft normally don't like fuel pressure higher than 5 or 6 psi.  I put a Carter on my 428 Cobra Jet, and it started spitting fuel out of the vent tube.  After I put a regulator on and set the fuel pressure, it worked fine.  I'd do some research 1st and find out if it is resistant to ethanol that is used in modern gas.  Ethanol is hard on rubber, and many mechanical fuel pumps have a rubber diaphragm. 

Wish I had went Mechanical but my timing cover is for a reverse rotation water pump and has no provisions for one so I had to use an electric pump.

The Edelbrock Quiet-Flo pumps work pretty good and are pretty darn quiet.

I have the Holley 110 gph pump on my 68 Camaro with a built BBC. It has no trouble keeping up with fuel demands, and no problem with overpressure on the 770 Holley SA carburetor. I think it would be comparative to your 408 in terms of fuel requirements.

What size carburetor are you using?

An FYI for MikeStang. Should you care to take the trouble, you can swap your timing cover for a 1985 Mustang 5.0 cover and have a mechanical fuel pump while keeping reverse rotation. I've run across other timing covers that were reverse and had the mounts for the fuel pump drilled and tapped but the center hole for the pump arm was never "knocked out". Few minutes with a Dremel took care of that.

Just saying there are those options out there. If you are all set up with an electric pump you're happy with that's fine too. I'm good with either pump style myself, just depends on the circumstances.