Midlife

Where are the 70 Ignition Switches?

Yes, I know they are in the steering column, and they are a single year Mustang unique item.  So...they are not reproduced, and I have a customer whose connector on the switch side is busted.  Where can I tell him to go to get a replacement switch?

this?

oem part at West Coast Cougar parts

To repeat, I got an aftermarket unit, same as this, only a week ago at Oreillys.  About 40-50 dollars IIRC.  I already posted it to my father, but I am pretty sure it is exactly the same item.  I bought a couple of 69 switches, and one of the 70, just for spares.

1970_turnsignal_switch1-1028.jpg

I'm not aware of a 70 switch being available as a new replacement part. The connector of the 70 ignition switch is usually spliced onto a new replacement 71-73 switch. The 1970 switch had a longer set of wires that reached farther, the later years ignition wire sets were too short. It took some minor repostioning of the wires too.

When I cut my connector off my broken switch I cut the wires long so I would have extra length to use if I ever had to do this again. It seems to me the connector and wires are the most important part.

The switch pictured on the O'Reilly auto part site looks to be the later 71-73 version. I would be happy to know there is a replacement available.

Joe

That could be true about the Oreillys part.  I did not even look at the connector.  I bought it as a spare part, so I may have a long wait before removing my oem switch in the 70.

I guess I can take it apart next time I have his car over at my place.

Sorry for any misdirection about that part from Oreillys.  The West Coast Cougar part is an oem switch, so at least that is available for Midlifes friend. 

Yet another part that needs to be made as a repop, for the humble 1970 car.