Sign in to follow this  
10yearsgone

door frame WS jumping track

The new door jam weatherstrip at the top of the door (see picture) is constantly jumping out of the track when the door shuts/rubs. Seems like a bit excessive pressure at the door striker and release button as well. The door/fender lines are pretty decent so I can't adjust much more at the hinges. Weatherstrip adhesive isn't strong enough. Could cut some back or screw it down. Just wondering if this is common issue and what others had done or if the WS flattens a bit over time.

post-4294-0-59052800-1431994491.jpg

It does flatten out, over years.  My 70 has a squished up portion right where you indicate in your pic.  I think it is aftermarket stuff, installed many years ago.

Unfortunately the majority of the aftermarket weatherstrips are too fat, not the same profile as the oem stuff, and can be hard. 

I have not found a perfect repro, so maybe someone else will chime in.  I seem to remember Daniel Carpenter stuff being good, but could be mistaken.

all the repo weather strip is very hard including carpenters . . the orig roof rail weather strip on a 69 is as soft as butter . . if it were any softer it would probably drip off the car . . the last nos set i saw sell was around $1,200.00.

if you glue the strip down, it might stay on place.

I had the same issue with stuff from S. Drake. I actually took everything off and bought another set thinking something was wrong. Finally, after my 2nd attempt, I kept both doors closed for 3 weeks, and it helped some. Now, a year later, it's getting much better.

But I still have to slam the doors harder than I'd like to get them shut. At least I know water is not coming in...

G