Sign in to follow this  
metalgraver

GEAR RATIO

As some of you know I am rebuilding a 69 Mach 1 that was pretty much a total rust bucket. ( See Rags to Riches ) So while I am going thru the car I am trying to make good choices for the reconstruction. The rear end that came with the car is a 9" 28 spline open differential with 3:00/1 gear ratio. Now I know that I could run this car just fine with this set up, but while I am rebuilding this car I was thinking that I should put a Posi-traction in it while I had the rear end out. I am going to have to take it apart and clean it up anyway. I am thinking about 17" tires. I have a 351W with a mild cam and Edlebrock RPM manifold with a T5 transmission. Not over 400 HP. It has been suggested that I put a Detroit Tru-Trac differential for the type of driving I will be doing, but Currie told me to go to the calculator to see what gear ratio I would want. Problem is I do not know enough to put the right RPM numbers in for the calculation. Here is the numbers they want to be able to calculate the gear ratio. What RPM should I be running at 70 MPH ?

1- RPM ?

2- Tire size- 17"

3- MPH- 70

Good plan.

I would recommend the tru-trac for sure.  I have a variation of positraction rears and the tru-trac is quiet, strong, and works perfectly.  Unless you simply must have a 60's era clutch style, get a tru-trac. 

Save some time calculating wheel sizes and go with your choice of 3.5 or 3.73.  Either will work perfectly well with your car and a T5.  With overdrive you will be running around 2000 revs in 5th gear at 70 mph.  Give or take a hundred revs, but it will be a breeze at highway speeds, no problem.  You can go to 4.11 if you really want to , but you will be changing gears a lot around town.  Once you are moving it feels a lot like a close ratio gearbox. 

3.50 is 'generally' regarded as ideal for automatic, and 3.73 is often considered the ideal ratio for 5 speed (or 4 speed) manual transmissions.