Sign in to follow this  
po51

Rear Disc Brakes

You can also check out "Right Stuff" detailing out of Columbus Oh. They have a pretty nice set up that will work with you original emergency brake cable system.  http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/zdcrd02z

Which brings me to a couple of things you need to consider when converting rear drum to disc.

Emergency Brake:

Many of the conversion kits do not mention or advise how you go about installing/using your emergency brake system. Many don't always make provision for this and you will wind up having to fabricate some things (more than you may wish)

Brake Lines:

Your drum brakes were plumbed with hard line right up to the wheel cylinder. Your disk brakes will most likely require a flexible line between the caliper and the hard line. You may have to fabricate a bracket for mounting the flex line where it will connect to a hard line.

Master Cylinder:

Your master cylinder will have to be changed to match your brake set up. If all four wheels are now going to be a disc brake setup, you will need a disc/disc master cylinder. This also means your original "combo" valve arrangement may have to be changed as well to match your brake configuration.

Al this being said, rear disk brakes do not do much more than provide for an appearance versus increased stopping power. Unless you are into some serious racing, I doubt you would notice any difference in stopping power. I'm not an expert, just a "been there - done that" type of opinion.

my friends manufacture their own kits that some other mustang suppliers sell.

this 658 kit on page 77 may fit 15" wheels . . call for info.

this 6107S kit on page 78 fits 14" and up wheels.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset010.html

you will need an adjustable  proportioning valve and a dual disc master cylinder with probably a 7/8" - 15/16" master if they are manual.

if you have factory discs, you must bypass the factory proportioning valve and still install the one above.

You can also check out "Right Stuff" detailing out of Columbus Oh. They have a pretty nice set up that will work with you original emergency brake cable system.  http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/zdcrd02z

Which brings me to a couple of things you need to consider when converting rear drum to disc.

Emergency Brake:

Many of the conversion kits do not mention or advise how you go about installing/using your emergency brake system. Many don't always make provision for this and you will wind up having to fabricate some things (more than you may wish)

Brake Lines:

Your drum brakes were plumbed with hard line right up to the wheel cylinder. Your disk brakes will most likely require a flexible line between the caliper and the hard line. You may have to fabricate a bracket for mounting the flex line where it will connect to a hard line.

Master Cylinder:

Your master cylinder will have to be changed to match your brake set up. If all four wheels are now going to be a disc brake setup, you will need a disc/disc master cylinder. This also means your original "combo" valve arrangement may have to be changed as well to match your brake configuration.

Al this being said, rear disk brakes do not do much more than provide for an appearance versus increased stopping power. Unless you are into some serious racing, I doubt you would notice any difference in stopping power. I'm not an expert, just a "been there - done that" type of opinion.

All good points that need to be considered. However, I believe a rear disc conversion is an easier job than doing one rear drum brake job.

Something else to consider is readily available pads and rotors for the conversion. If a pad or rotor goes bad you want to be able to go to a local parts store and get one off the shelf. This is what made me choose a locally made kit adapting aussie falcon rear brakes.

In general I would stay away from anything that uses 80's single piston gm calipers. I looked at those they use at speedway and they are the same that I have dealt with on my cutlass, garbage... the sliding mechanism is inherently flawed and the pistons have reputations for sticking and acting weird. My $.02

I'm hoping to find a kit to adapt SN99 Mustang rear calipers to a '69 9" flange. I converted to a Fat Man coil over strut front suspension and use SN99 dual piston calipers. I like using Ford parts on a Ford and also parts that you can get a hold of easily when you need them.

I used Street or Tracks kits that uses the SN95 Rear brake calipers.

Hey it sounds like you've already done what I've been looking for. I want to adapt SN99 (like SN95 but later technology) to the 9" on my '69.  What products did you use? I also see there is a kit from Mustang Steve that "will" adapt calipers/rotor from a S197 ('05 - '10 Mustang). Do you have any experience or opinions these?

This is similar to the kit I bought from Street or Track a couple of years ago. I didn't buy the calipers as I already had them.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-11.65-Rear-Disk-Brake-Kit-pr-23990.html

Just pulled off the drum brakes, and put on the new brackets and it all bolted right up. I ended up not changing MC and installed a proportioning valve to adjust the rears. Been running it this way for a couple of years now with no issues.

Hope that helps.

This is similar to the kit I bought from Street or Track a couple of years ago. I didn't buy the calipers as I already had them.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-11.65-Rear-Disk-Brake-Kit-pr-23990.html

Just pulled off the drum brakes, and put on the new brackets and it all bolted right up. I ended up not changing MC and installed a proportioning valve to adjust the rears. Been running it this way for a couple of years now with no issues.

Hope that helps.

This sure looks like what I'm looking for.  Thank you!! I'll contact them to see about just getting the all the critical stuff without the calipers. Is their rotor different from an SN95? I wonder if it's compatible with SN99 calipers?

This sure looks like what I'm looking for.  Thank you!! I'll contact them to see about just getting the all the critical stuff without the calipers. Is their rotor different from an SN95? I wonder if it's compatible with SN99 calipers?

I am not sure what he is currently using for his kits. I bought my stuff a few years ago in including the front disc brake bracket for disc spindles which I don't think he sells separately any more, so not really sure what he is using. I am using the SN95 caliper with bear Cobra brakes on my setup. I would just give him a call, really cool guy to talk

I used 2005 Mustang calipers, rotors, and 1.25" spacer. Got a caliper mount on ebay for the conversion. Still required some material removal from the caliper, but they work great.  Much cheaper solution.  Think I spent about ~$160.  Took about 6 hours.

I used 2005 Mustang calipers, rotors, and 1.25" spacer. Got a caliper mount on ebay for the conversion. Still required some material removal from the caliper, but they work great.  Much cheaper solution.  Think I spent about ~$160.  Took about 6 hours.

I believe I saw that from Mustang Steve's eBay site.  You are right, the price is much cheaper. Having owned an '05 for several years I never had any complaint about the rear brakes. I think I came up with about $250 for; the kit, slotted rotors and Auto Zone calipers/hoses. What kind of master cylinder and booster are you running?

In general I would stay away from anything that uses 80's single piston gm calipers. I looked at those they use at speedway and they are the same that I have dealt with on my cutlass, garbage... the sliding mechanism is inherently flawed and the pistons have reputations for sticking and acting weird. My $.02

Thanks for the tip Lanky! I researched them, what a nightmare they appear to be. There wasn't too much info available on them back around 2000 when I did the conversion. I'll be looking into 94-2010 or so Mustang/Cobra rear brakes.

Thanks for the tip Lanky! I researched them, what a nightmare they appear to be. There wasn't too much info available on them back around 2000 when I did the conversion. I'll be looking into 94-2010 or so Mustang/Cobra rear brakes.

I recommend the 2005 calipers.  Integral parking brake.