jfried

Power Steering Reccomendations

Interesting... what tilt column did you use? any regrets with the system? How did it impact turning radius?

I went with the Ididit column and it worked out great. ZERO regrets on this system, and honestly would rank this one of my favorite mods for driving the car. If I measured turning radius I am sure there would be some, but from the driver seat, its hard to tell. I have not had one circumstance were low turning radius has caused me any issues. In fact, it feels better since I don't have to me moving to start turning the wheel like I did with the old non power set up.

I would recommend a replacement box with integral power, such as Borgeson, Flaming River or the new CPP box.

They have 14:1 steering ratio, which is a nice improvement over stock, and quickens the steering to more modern feel and standards/expectations  Be sure and get the faster ratio 14:1.

Your center link, tie rods, and turning circle remain stock, unaltered.

Fits in the same space as the old manual box

Works with a stock power steering pump, brackets and pulleys, if you want to keep the stock look. (Borgeson will, not sure on CPP or FR)

Less complex hose arrangement than stock PS.

Fairly economical choice compared to R&P.

I don't know much about electric power steering, so cant make comment or compare.

Adding a roller idler arm will help smoothness

There are some nice choices around.  I have R&P fitted to two cars.  One is great, one is just OK. Both new, high quality kits specific for the model.  Good, but not amazing for the money. 

I've read that a borgeson box doesn't work with a tilt column, is that true or a myth?

I went with the Ididit column and it worked out great. ZERO regrets on this system, and honestly would rank this one of my favorite mods for driving the car. If I measured turning radius I am sure there would be some, but from the driver seat, its hard to tell. I have not had one circumstance were low turning radius has caused me any issues. In fact, it feels better since I don't have to me moving to start turning the wheel like I did with the old non power set up.

Great.

Seems like that's the direction I'm leaning... they seem to be the best price out there when you consider that everything is included.

Which ididit column did you use?

Great.

Seems like that's the direction I'm leaning... they seem to be the best price out there when you consider that everything is included.

Which ididit column did you use?

I will have to dig through my paperwork to be sure as I ordered it through Gateway Classic Mustang. I was originally going to use their set up but couldn't get it to work with the big block and headers.

I also think adding the Unisteer rack was the best mod I’ve done to my car.  The improvement in feel really puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel now.  I can’t recommend enough to go rack-n-pinion if you like to play on twisty roads like I do. 

As I recall I needed to do a little die grinding on the supplied support brace for a bolt clearance.  Ten minutes and a little black paint and it was good to go. 

Kyle T

I also think adding the Unisteer rack was the best mod I’ve done to my car.  The improvement in feel really puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel now.  I can’t recommend enough to go rack-n-pinion if you like to play on twisty roads like I do. 

As I recall I needed to do a little die grinding on the supplied support brace for a bolt clearance.  Ten minutes and a little black paint and it was good to go. 

Kyle T

Kyle T

Did you do the power rack as well? or manual?

jfried,

I don't know why this didn't pop into my head earlier but I have the bracket set up for the Randells Rack that I am not going to be using and would let go for a good price since it is just collecting dust. The bracket has the rack in it still but there is something wrong with it. Randells Rack uses the modified "J" car rack. I still have the tie rods too. You would need from Randall only the rack, a pump and steering linkage. It might be a way to get into a rack set up pretty cheap. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you pictures of what I have.

Jim

I would recommend a replacement box with integral power, such as Borgeson, Flaming River or the new CPP box.

They have 14:1 steering ratio, which is a nice improvement over stock, and quickens the steering to more modern feel and standards/expectations  Be sure and get the faster ratio 14:1.

Your center link, tie rods, and turning circle remain stock, unaltered.

Fits in the same space as the old manual box

Works with a stock power steering pump, brackets and pulleys, if you want to keep the stock look. (Borgeson will, not sure on CPP or FR)

Less complex hose arrangement than stock PS.

Fairly economical choice compared to R&P.

I don't know much about electric power steering, so cant make comment or compare.

Adding a roller idler arm will help smoothness

There are some nice choices around.  I have R&P fitted to two cars.  One is great, one is just OK. Both new, high quality kits specific for the model.  Good, but not amazing for the money. 

Can you confirm what box has 14:1? All I can find with the 3 companies you quote are 16:1.

If they are all 16:1, whats the better buy? CPP as they are a brand new box??

Borgeson, for sure, has the box in 14:1.  and they also have 16:1.  Last year they started distributing their 14:1.  I note that CJPonyParts is still listing the Borgeson kit and box as 16:1. 

I rang Borgeson and asked them all about their products and they say CJPP has not yet updated their website. 

CPP for sure has a 14:1 box.   I recently followed a thread on an install and first drive with the CPP product.  Bear in mind that CPP usually concentrate on GM products, and the kit for their Mustang install has the Saginaw (GM style) power steering pump.  A fox Mustang pump works too.

Flaming river I am not certain.  I rang them but cant remember exactly what they have.

The boxes from CPP and Borgeson, and probably FR, are foreign manufactured and sourced. 

I think Borgeson are the better of the bunch. 

Some of the guys over on the VMF forums says the Borgeson is a remanufactured Isuzu box. I researched it some and found some that looked similar but I don't know this to be a fact.

Dave

Yes, I heard that story too.   Since Isuzu manufactures for worldwide consumption, it is quite possible.  But as yet, not proven.  I asked Borgeson the same question, but only received a vague response.  Overseas manufacturer could mean many things.  Isuzu Japan, vs Isuzu sourced Taiwan , China or Korea?  Who knows.

I would say that as  a primarily heavy vehicle manufacturer, an Isuzu box is not necessarily a bad thing.  Time will tell, and customer feedback.  A steering box is a 45 year lifetime part, going by the millions of Mustangs still around from the 60's.  I would expect the same, or better from our wonderful 21st century world, right?  .....

I replaced everything on my 69s front end.  I wish I would have known more at the time.  For the money I spent between the control valve/lines/pump etc, I could have only spent a bit more and had a power steering rack.

If I were going to do it all again, I would be torn between the Borgeson box or a rack and pinion setup (leaning more towards the rack setup tho)