Hey guys. So stripped down my car and where the factory lead seam from the quarter meets the roof. I was wondering should i melt down the lead and fill it with dyna glass? Or can i go over the existing lead seam with mud? Any advice would be great

I'm not a body and paint expert by any means and I am by no means at the level some members here are.  When I was younger my brothers and I did our own body and paint work.  We had a friend that was a painter and owned a small shop.  He used to give us help and basically teach us what to do.  This was back in the 1980's.  Anyway, it was the norm that body fillers were always applied directly to bare metal that had been prepped with 36 grit sandpaper.  Body fillers were never applied over paints, primers, or sealers of any type.  So, he can prime now to prevent rust but needs to sand off the primer in body filler areas.  Or has that changed with todays materials? 

Alot has changed since the 80's, as magician stated, go by the tech sheet, and talk to the manufacturer. Personally when dealing with a car in bare metal, I like epoxy down 1st. Check the 2nd link I posted.

I do body work both bare metal and over epoxy ,sand the epoxy first ,although i do not use bondo very often .The new bondo bonds well to either just keep it thin .The thicker it is the easier it will later crack .Massage the metal as smooth as you can first .

I think it depends on the condition of the lead seam. I have seen several mustangs where the factory screwed up the lead seam and the lead area was rusting or bubbling. Likly from not getting all the acid flux burned off or something. Anyway. If the lead seam is in good shape then leave it alone. If the lead seam is in bad shape then melt it out and I used to just mig weld in a filler strip and then go bonds over that

Bob

For the 67-68 that we do a lot of we make patch panels. We remove all the lead and weld the patch panels in, then a thin coat of Fibertech by Evercoat, followed by a coat of Quamtium by Evercoat.

http://www.mustangstofear.com/page.php?page=parts_catalog&yr=67-68&cat=sheet_metal&scat=patch_panels∏=quarter_to_roof_patch_panels