Mach_1

Our Family Mustang Project. 1969 428CJ Q Code Mach 1

Not a whole lot has happened on the car since we were in Kansas for 10 days for two weddings and lots of travelling / family / friends. I have been able to get the Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan mounted up to the Howe aluminum radiator (I'll have to remove some of the radiator support by the looks of thinks though- about 1.5" at the top). Was also able to install the remaining grommets / guards on the new wiring access holes in the fenders, as well as throw on the Scott Drake Corso Feroce steering wheel as the stock wheel - or at leas the center section- is pretty much shot. Finished touching up the engine bay, and (hopefully) all ready to try and install the motor / clutch / bell on Sunday. If that goes according to plan... then all that will be left is setting up the fuel lines, wire in the MSD components and fan, tuning the carb, and fine tuning the timing. Hoping for the best!

Out with the Old:

IMG_4473_zpsfat589wo.jpg

IMG_4474_zpseuqqxwcx.jpg

Almost done!

IMG_4477_zpstp3abiyd.jpg

I'd enjoy seeing more detail on your radiator & fan combo!  The car is looking great and it's fun to watch it coming together!

Thanks Pruett! I'll snap some pictures of the fan and radiator this weekend. We have had seemingly endless issues with the old 428 overheating anytime we were in extended stop-go, or slow moving traffic (parades, parking at shows, stop-go in cities, etc.) So I wanted to be done with it and take no chances lol. The car has had this (I'll measure it again- can't remember right off) big 2 core Howe Aluminum radiator so I decided to ditch the belt driven clutch fan and shroud and go with the Flex-a-Lite black magic electric puller fan http://www.cjponyparts.com/flex-a-lite-black-magic-extreme-electric-fan-kit-3300-cfm-universal/p/FAN16/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CJD8itnNzMcCFQczaQod4_sJ5A

It moves something like 3300 cfm and has an integrated thermostat so it should do the trick :). I was a little nervous about it fitting the Howe radiator but it ended up being a near perfect fit. However it does need ~4" of clearance and I had just under 3 before pulling the motor so I'm expecting to have to remove a good 1"+ of material from the radiator support to move the radiator / fan forward. Not looking forward to that... Pics shortly- thanks again!

Well I just about give up :)... Finally got the correct clutch installed, bellhousing, and headers / mounts. Went to reinstall and with only one helper it just wasn't wanting to go in. The driver side header would either make contact with the brake line on he firewall or the wall itself, or angled the other way- headers would get wedged on the shock towers and the header would start to interfere with the shift linkage on the transmission...not to mention the oil pan and radiator support wasn't making matters easier. So... I think I'll drop the transmission out, attach it and try stabbing the whole unit in at once- anyone else have any suggestions? Sort of at a loss for ideas at this point haha. 

Here are a few pics of the Black Magic fan mounted up to the Howe Radiator, and a pic showing just about how far we didn't get :/

IMG_4511_zpsoqqsol8d.jpg

IMG_4513_zpseqoxs5gf.jpg

IMG_4510_zpsdeyfzgkr.jpg

IMG_4516_zpskbr4ahfv.jpg

Also came across some of the stock parts of the original 428CJ... Any idea what this stuff is worth? Not sure we want to sell it as we would like to possibly rebuild the stock motor and keep it on a stand for keepsake / value added to the car should we ever decide to sell it (hoping that day never comes though).

Stock exhaust manifolds- no cracks, in great condition, coated in Eastwood exhaust coat. 

IMG_4521_zpspplyhf3l.jpg

IMG_4522_zps3gzbyfdl.jpg

Water pump (also found stock water pump and crank pulleys

IMG_4520_zpstqovuiaq.jpg

Also found the stock valve covers, Iron heads, and iron FE intake manifold- all painted blue (except for the valve covers which were chrome)... phone died before I could snap photos. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Dumb question, have you tried placing the headers in the engine bay, then putting the engine in, and attach the headers after?

I seriously thought about giving that a shot but the problem would be getting to all of the header bolts as about 4 on each side become just about unreachable once the motor is in. Not going to lie...might have to give it a shot if attaching and stabbing the tranny at once doesn't help LOL. I should take this opportunity to severely alter my shock towers like in that other build thread and I'd never have to worry about this again...if only I had the skills and tools :)

I seriously thought about giving that a shot but the problem would be getting to all of the header bolts as about 4 on each side become just about unreachable once the motor is in. Not going to lie...might have to give it a shot if attaching and stabbing the tranny at once doesn't help LOL. I should take this opportunity to severely alter my shock towers like in that other build thread and I'd never have to worry about this again...if only I had the skills and tools :)

I hear ya.  Not the main reason I cut my shock towers out (it was for twin turbos, and a Mustang II suspension), but others who have done a 5.0l Coyote swap just trim them down a bit.  A shop may not charge an astronomical price for shaving them down a bit, but not sure.  Good luck!

I'd toss the water pump, exhaust manifolds and any other stock pieces you have on a shelf and not think about selling them. You will only regret selling them.

Good thinking RPM- I think they will go back on the shelf from whence they came :)

Long time folks! Told you I would be sporadic at times when it came to this project ;).

To make a long story short life got a little chaotic again (wife has had two more surgeries due to her accident last year) and our toddler seems to have more energy every day. After a final attempt at stuffing the motor in that didn't work out I decided to have a local mechanic / fabricator finish up the car for us. It went over to his shop two nights ago and we dropped off the new 445 and transmission last night so it's getting all finished up professionally which gives me a little more peace of mind considering I'm no expert in setting up old Ford drivetrains, or suspensions for that matter. I'll update as he gets everything all buttoned up :)

Off to get finished up:

12495979_978617125538675_633022712844986

Welcome back :)

I believe the vast majority here resemble the sporadic nature of these builds due to life getting in the way.

Looks mighty chilly there in Dolores, stay warm.

Thanks RPM! We have had quite a winter here this year. We probably have 3-4' of snow on our back porch... all the more reason for us to move to Phoenix (or somewhere warmer) this year. The cold, snow and ice have gotten old living at 7,200 ft. 

Luckily we finally have a nice week of weather (might even hit 50s!) and the motor is back in the car! Starting to button everything up now. 

FullSizeRender%206_zpskixzcdqp.jpg

Hi Mach one,

Very nice steering wheel and your engine... wouahhh

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get her running any day now. Just waiting for a slightly longer throttle cable and to get the hood clearanced for the higher air cleaner and it should be good to go. I've had a few small setbacks- the large Flex-a-light electric fan was about .5" too thick and we just couldn't get enough clearance in front of the water pump pulley to be safe so we went with dual offset puller fans which should still pull some considerable air and improve the cooling from where it was. I need to get some updated photos but figure I'll just wait until it's all done in a week or two :). I think I'll have to remove 1/4 - 1/2 a coil on each side up front as it is sitting about .75" higher in the front then in the back with the new suspension. Other than that all is coming together! 

A few pics from two weeks ago and the progress. I will get a few more shots as it gets finished up this / next week :) as well as (hopefully) an idle start-up and idle video.

12976792_1037660266306339_30735106442556

12967407_1037660446306321_86822383889062

12976821_1037662662972766_59498886739376

12888536_1037662262972806_90313404086931

Hey 390- I actually ended up giving up trying to do it by myself (couldn't find too many helping hands lol) so I took it to a local shop to finish up. He has access to a lift and with that was able to put the motor and tranny in together a tthe same time. I've also heard of folks doing it both ways in their garage but from what I gather it's normally easiest with the motor and tranny together. 

Well yesterday was an awesome day! For the first time in years I was able to drive the car around the parking lot of the shop :). We are still waiting for a tach adapter for the MSD ignition so the dash is out but other than that and some idle refinement / carb tuning she is pretty much ready for the road. The new motor does smoke a good bit (dark / blue) upon cold startup for about a minute or two but once it starts to warm up the smoke totally goes away. I'm hoping it's just due to the motor being brand new and the rings being barely broken even though they are moly. I suppose it could also be the QuickFuel electric choke making it run super rich when cold but I figured I'll give it a couple hundred miles and see if it changes. More pics and a video to come as it comes together- if anyone has any insight on the rings vs carb dilemma feel free to let me know!

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20160506_082907%201_

20160505_163704_zpsyav1xmr6.jpg

20160505_163226_zpsxpmoas3l.jpg

20160505_163234_zps1qpvw74r.jpg

Also need to level the car a bit more in the front and back- thinking of taking about 1/8th off the front springs to lower it 1/3ish and bring the rear up about 1/3-1/2". 

The blue/dark blue smoke you might be seeing could be the choke set up too rich. What you don't want is the fresh engine being subjected to an over rich condition which could wash the cylinder walls of its lubrication.

Try not to let the engine idle for extended periods of time while fresh. Set the carb, timing, check all fluid levels and get her out and working to seat those rings.

Access to a dyno would be awesome to do a few wide open throttle pulls and seat the rings.

On automatic stangs I usually disconnect the kickdown rod and do some brisk pulls from a standstill to put the engine under a load, then back off on the throttle completely and let the car slow down to a crawl and repeat several times again.

Works for me and I've been successful in not creating oil burners.

Remember....after a rebuild get that engine under a load and avoid multiple startups.

Hope this helps....john

And 390mach1...yep, install the engine and trans as an assembly. It works for me.