Mach_1

Our Family Mustang Project. 1969 428CJ Q Code Mach 1

Hey folks- still relatively new around here, but this site has already been a tremendous help- and I wish I would have been on here years ago! I don't know how much detail people normally go into with their builds so I will try not to be too long-winded although I feel this story should be told. With that said- thanks for taking the time to read, follow, contribute and follow this (let's be honest) never-ending car build!

Our Mach 1's story really starts back in December, 1968- two days after Christmas actually...when she was build in San Jose. Unfortunately, I don't know much of her story until around 2002 when my uncle happened to pass along a "Deals on Wheels" mentioning there was a 428CJ Mustang in Grand Junction, CO listed. I was 16 at the time and my father had just finished a 1970 Boss 302 clone with a 351W project with me (to be fair I watched mostly)... and was looking for a new Father & Son project. Long story short it was a great deal until we got it home and found the original 428 block had a healthy crack through the passenger front wall....

Naturally, he decided to have fun with the build after that and went all out on a new 428Cj longblock build with a targeted 450hp. To make the car stand out a bit in a sea of red mustangs, the original and faded Candy Apple Red paint was replaced with a diamond pearl white. The factory red interior was and still remains 100% original aside from aftermarket seat belts. It was about the time the motor was rebuilt that things started to go downhill. Straight from the start the new 428 had issues. It continually ate lifters, exhibited intermittent tappet knock,  sometimes damaged cam lobes, necessitating several complete valvetrain jobs that the local shop who assembled and installed the motor always was sure to charge for. Since the owner was in our car club my father never wanted to cause a fuss over it. Fast forward to 2007- 2008:

My dad thought it would be neat to install a fuel injection system on the car- and back then there weren't too many aftermarket EFI options around to choose from. We went with a company named Retrotek Speed (who I think has since been bought out by Professional Products). They had never worked up a dual carb / plenum system for a classic FE Ford bus assured my us they would see us through the install / tuning. Another long story short- they didn't. The problems arised, and the correspondence stopped. Eventually- between a car that was basically un-tunable, had mechanical issues after investing well over 10,000 in a motor & mechanical issues...he lost interest in the car. I was off at College and the car sat...un-driveable until his untimely and tragic death in April of 2012. We were cycling on vacation in Cozumel and a taxi ran a stop sign- striking and killing him right in front of me. Obviously, life since has never been the same. All tragedy aside- I digress.

Fast forward to 2015. My wife, new daughter, and I now live back close to home to keep my Mom company- and we want to see this car up and running again like it should. I learned a lot about life, love, family, and cool cars helping out my Dad in the shop, going to car shows, races, etc. and getting this car running and driving like a champ will be an amazing way to remember the good times with him- and maybe in some not-so-understood way he can enjoy it as well. With a 1 year old daughter, I can only hope to leave such a positive impact on her...and maybe this car can serve more than 1 generation of the family. With that said here are some photos of things up to this point. 

IMG_3745_zpsnrtmryov.jpg

The original clipping from "Deals on Wheels"

IMG_3742_zpslofy6kin.jpg

Best picture we have of the motor when we bought it:

IMG_3743_zpsnv4arhta.jpg

IMG_3744_zpsghnsbe2x.jpg

Motor out and refinishing the engine bay

IMG_3746_zpsck76lr6n.jpg

The new (soon to be problem child 428CJ) ready to go in...my dad obviously excited:

IMG_3747_zpsnk4qbotj.jpg

Funny clipping from back in the day for the local car show:

IMG_3748_zpstfvcbhxf.jpg

So at this point- looking forward. The main goal for this car is to get it to be a show-ready driver that we can take wherever we like. For posterity sake, I want to keep the original T4 toploader so regrettably the 3.90 rear will be getting replaced with a Currie true-trac 3.25 final gear unit.

The car will be receiving a more modern demeanor in terms of handling and appearance thanks to a full suspension kit from John @ Opentracker Racing Products as well as a set of 17" V48s from Vintage Wheel. 

The car has a fresh 455ci mill coming from Brent @ Lykins Motorsports (who I can only say the best things about!). Basic specs on the new motor build: 455 CI FE, made 525hp @ 5500, 588lb-ft @ 4200 on Stuska engine dyno.

4.080 x 4.250, Scat 9000 series crankshaft, Scat I-beam rods, Racetec pistons, 10:1.  Comp Cams custom hydraulic roller cam, 235/241 @ .050", 110 LSA, .610" lift.  Survival Motorsports as cast cylinder heads, Performer RPM intake, Quick Fuel HR-750 carb.  Stuska dyno.

unnamed_zpsv2367skk.jpg

unnamed%201_zpsrbomm47z.jpg

We wanted to keep the general motor appearance the same as my Dad had it (brushed aluminum & black). I have a lot of faith this will be the motor that really brings the car "up to speed"...no pun intended. Obviously the shotty fuel injection system currently on the car will be replaced with a Quick Fuel HR 750 single carb for simplicity and dependability. Looks like I get to learn how to tune on a carb :).

The motor will be backed by a Quick Time bell, Ford Racing 0 balance flywheel, and Mcleod Super Street clutch.

Please stay tuned as I'll update this thread as the tear-down and rebuild comes around!

Wow! What started out as  a cool story has me crushed. I can't imagine the horror. Obviously words from me mean nothing, but I do feel so sorry for you having to experience your Dad's death. That is the reason I stopped cycling and riding motorcycles. I suppose I'll go back and finish your thread soon. Welcome to the best Mustang forum. You do have a very nice Q Code.

Wow! What started out as  a cool story has me crushed. I can't imagine the horror. Obviously words from me mean nothing, but I do feel so sorry for you having to experience your Dad's death. That is the reason I stopped cycling and riding motorcycles. I suppose I'll go back and finish your thread soon. Welcome to the best Mustang forum. You do have a very nice Q Code.

Thank you very much for the kind words Bob. It was such a senseless tragedy. I had actually just proposed to my (now) wife the evening before- it was sort of a celebration father & son ride as we were training for an upcoming race in May 2012. I know everyone says this- but he really was a great guy. The only good thing I can say about the accident is he went quickly doing something he really enjoyed. 

Thanks again for the kind words!

1895787_orig.jpg?276

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for the loss of your dad, as I could only imagine not being able to work on this project with him. My dad was my inspiration for getting into cars and I am thankful that we can share time with the car now it is close to being done and drivable again.

On to the car. Looks great and love the upgrades. I have a similar motor with the 445 Survival Stroker. Slightly different head and cam package, but with the 5 speed it is a friggen blast to drive. I am sure you can't wait to get it all done, but it will be worth it when it is. Good luck on all the work.

Beautiful car and great memories along with it. I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately my Auntie lost her partner last year after he too was struck by a car on his bike. I think your Dad would be very proud of your plans to keep the CJ on the road and in the family.

I'm with Bob, in feeling the pain in your loss. What a tragic event on what should have been a great family vacation. Sounds like your father was a wonderful man too. You were fortunate to have him. As to the car, I suspect it will always be with you. Beautiful too!!! I've always liked the white and red combo.   

John 

Thank you so much for all of the kind words- this forum has some real great folks and I appreciate everything! So sorry to hear about your Aunt's loss Ash- its tragic just how common such accidents are. 

On a positive note: looks like Brent will be shipping out the new motor this week so hopefully the build will begin in the next few weeks! Time to start getting the garage ready!

Well it's been a busy summer but I have finally started the project! I was able to pull the radiator, accessories, entire fuel injection system / wiring, drain the oil, and start working on some of the header bolts. While under the car I got to take a good look at the suspension and the rather terrible condition of most of the bushings and steering system and have decided to go with a full stage 2 kit from John @ Opentrackerracing which should get the car to handle like it should, but will mean more downtime and wrenching (that's a good thing right?). 

Hoping to pull the 428 next weekend and get the 455 in...we will see how it goes! 

Everything pictured here (and a Retrotek Speed Stage 2 fuel injection system- complete) is for sale... so if you see something you like- make an offer!

IMG_3594_zpsp9f39rts.jpg

What happened here lol?

IMG_3605_zpscqxsbnza.jpg

IMG_3610_zpsgwpdms8d.jpg

IMG_3615_zps7pmxiev3.jpg

Found some HOT tape...

unnamed%201_zpsexupml61.jpg

unnamed%202_zpstirfo9wf.jpg

Well we had a productive yet somewhat frustrating weekend. We were able to get the 428 out with only a few minor headaches (passenger side header), and don't forget to disconnect your clutch linkage :). 

Anyways- started swapping everything over to the new motor on Saturday morning only to find out that we had the wrong clutch sent from Mcleod. Looks like the clutch coming out was a Hayes 3 finger 11.5" and we have a huge ~1 1/4" input shaft- whereas the clutch we had to go in was only 11" with a a 1 1/16" input shaft clearance. The TOB wouldn't even fit over the shaft lol- SO back to the waiting game while Brent gets in touch with Mcleod to exchange the clutch kit. This was actually a good thing though as it will be a heck of a lot easier to install the front Opentracker suspension kit parts with the motor out which should be coming in the next 1-2 weeks. Additionally brake fluid has leaked all over the rear driver side of the engine bay so some sanding and repainting might just be in order. One day at a time :)...

FullSizeRender%201_zpsrx5gw7wz.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsdpxjtwcw.jpg

IMG_3796_zpskc5qdqyz.jpg

IMG_3798_zps8mznf8p8.jpg

R&I the engine 3-4 more times and you'll have it down. Yes, the engine down time will give plenty of time to get the engine bay done. Were those dents in the header tubes done on purpose for clearance issues?

R&I the engine 3-4 more times and you'll have it down. Yes, the engine down time will give plenty of time to get the engine bay done. Were those dents in the header tubes done on purpose for clearance issues?

Practice makes perfect right RPM? :). I think the prior shop who did all of the work on the car dented in those primary tubes for extra clearance to the towers...looks like **** imo. Yet another reason to do the work yourself- no wonder the motor that came out always had issues (they also assembled and installed it ~10 years ago).

Already trying to maximize downtime and was able to hide / rerun the entire driver side wiring harness to the inner fender well, get the MSD box installed and run the wiring through the passenger firewall- next up tomorrow night comes the sanding and prepping of the engine bay and a fresh coat of black paint to freshen it up. 

Brent @ Lykins Motorsports has a new clutch on the way and is handling everything- can't say enough good things about his customer service! FWIW the right Mcleod clutch hit for all factory 427,428,and 429 cars with the 1 3/8" input shaft is: 75235 (11.5") vs the one we are returning which is for T4s with the smaller input shaft (390 cars and smaller) which is 11" 75211. 

The first two boxes of Opentracker suspension components arrived Monday (just placed the order Saturday...that's fast!). And everything else should be in this week which means we will have a busy and fun filled weekend ahead of us.

More pics to come soon!

What, no pics of the wire harness re route??? I'm seriously considering the same mod. I've heard nothing but good things about John @ OpenTracker. That is some fast service!

What, no pics of the wire harness re route??? I'm seriously considering the same mod. I've heard nothing but good things about John @ OpenTracker. That is some fast service!

haha I'll get some pictures tomorrow night when I head back out to the shop. I should have just gone all the way and done it from under the dash, out and through the fender...but I ended up cutting out a 1.5" rectangle just below the driver side hood hinge (pretty inconspicuous place) and then ran the wires through the fender well, then down behind the driver side headlights and then along the normal route inside the front bumper lip and around to the passenger side. In the end it really only took about 45 minutes start to finish and that terrible bundle of 46 year old wires is no longer lounging all along the driver side shock tower and fender lol. I'll snap a few pics for ya! 

RPM- here is my quick solution to the wiring re-route. Not the cleanest out there but it was easy and seems to work without having to lengthen any wires, go under the dash, etc. 

Access hole that was cut for wiring: 

IMG_3835_zpswfjilebc.jpg

Re-used some fuel line holders to keep the wires in place off of the shock tower bolt backs:

IMG_3836_zps3bgswzfm.jpg

Brought around and down inside the headlight compartment:

IMG_3837_zpsl8ktrojk.jpg

And then it was business as usual!

Also got the MSD box mounted up and more suspension goodies keep arriving for this weekend (with my little helper supervising)!

IMG_3840_zpsvgwkv0xj.jpg

IMG_3842_zpsweoaht7v.jpg

Nice build. You might want to put a grommet in where you did the cutout. You don't want anything happening to your wiring. If you can't find a grommet, you can make one out of plastic or rubber tubing, and glue it in place. Good luck on your project, and sorry for your loss. My father taught me a lot about life.

Thanks for the tips Hoover- following what you said I hacked up some old tubing and wrapped the rectangular access hole- that should do the trick!

Had a pretty productive weekend and was able to get the entire 46 year old front suspension swapped out for the new Opentracker / Street or Track components. I do have a couple questions though and was hoping someone here can help shine some light! 

1) Does anyone know where I can find a new brake pad retainer clip (see picture for clips circled in red)- Not sure how important it is but I could see the rotor dragging on the pin if it's not held back and can't find the one that sprang off ANYWHERE lol. I think the car must have the SSBC system or something very similar (see in pics). Thanks!

Brake_zpsvdvqgdfs.jpg

#2) I did the Shelby drop with the provided template as well as the Scott Drake 1" lower springs... and the driver side was a snug fit (no compressor or anything needed) to get the upper control arm and spring back in place. However, the passenger side isn't snug at all- actually the top of the spring has about 2-4mm of gap between the top of the isolator and the shock tower top so the spring just sort of wobbles around so long as the front end it unloaded off the ground. is that normal? I did everything identically between both sides so I found it interesting the driver side was snug with an ounce of resistance and the passenger side has the spring wobbling around. Anyone? 

I was also able to re-spray the engine bay which was needed after cannibalizing it with the Hooker Headers during engine removal and I got the Flex A Light Black Magic fan mounted up to the radiator and the thermostat controller mounted below the MSD box in an attempt to keep it clean and as hidden as possible. Looks like I'm going to have to carve off at least 1" of the existing radiator support to get enough clearance to the motor but it should be worth it with this thing pushing 3300+ cfm of air at idle :). So tired of the old overheating issues. 

Anyways thanks for all of the comments and tips folks- keep them coming! Pics from this weekend's finger smashing, elbow bashing, neck spraining wrench fest:

IMG_3424_zpsta9ca4nx.jpg

IMG_3425_zpspvivo0fn.jpg

IMG_3426_zpsi7sxntmr.jpg

IMG_3430_zps4mddnn1y.jpg