prayers1

Going CRAZY with Coil Springs

barnett468-

The rear tires are 295/50/15 BFG Radial TA's at 26.6" tall, the fronts BFG 215/65/15 are 26" tall and I had 235/60/15 that were 26.1" tall, so I can't go to a taller tire.

You say to cut a 3rd off the coil, what does that equal in inches?

To cut an inch off, how much coil do you take of, a 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc.....?

What do you guys think about how the front sits, too high or not?

The front is a little high, not much.  Everybody has their own preference, I like mine as close to level as possible with same size tires front and rear.  Mine is at 26" ground to fender lip apex with a 26" tall tire.  You might want to consider leaving it until you have the rear spring issue taken care of.  Also, give these springs some time to settle.

barnett468-

You say to cut a 3rd off the coil, what does that equal in inches?

What do you guys think about how the front sits, too high or not?

ok,  cant easily explain it to you so this is the best i can do.

measuring the end of the spring that is the bottom, take a cloth measuring tape and start at at the end of the spring and carefully measure the outside until you come full circle [360 degrees] back to where the spring starts.

take this number and divide by 3.

take that number and measure from the end of the spring until you reach the distance then mark it so you can cut it.

now, after reading your posts again, i think you should only cut 1/4 of a coil then drive it for a few weeks and see how you like it since you may need to cut them twice anyway . . its a lot easier to shorten them then it is to lengthen them.

i would also put the left spring on the right and right spring on the left if you drive alone often.

Going back thru the pic;s you posted from earlier. my vote is to clean up and paint the old bb springs and reinstall them with the longer one on the right side to make up the level difference.

I really doubt the 289 did much to make them sag at all.

But it seems you wish to keep fighting with the new springs anyhow.

Personally it doesn't look correct to the rear. I would do 1 of the 3 things. Find another coil, cut the current ones down or get it over with and do ajustable coil overs.

Option number 4.

Install a 429.

You are welcome....LOL!

Since prayers1 had another thread regarding new rear leaf springs and possibly also air shock to prevent tire rub.  I thinks he should get that sorted out before cutting on the front coil springs.  For ride height reasons and the rear may end up too stiff compared to these front coil springs.  The ride feels off when the front to rear spring rates are not "balanced" for lack of a better term.

Well, here's an update.

I cut a 1/2 coil and now I'm at 25 1/2", within time it should settle another 1/2".

So, 25" is in the ballpark for me and I'll keep it at that.

And while I was at it, I install the rear window louvers.

I did send back the short first coil spring set and was told I would get a full refund.

DSC03339_zps0a357qwq.jpg

Yes, I do like the big fat rear tire look.

DSC03340_zps0ekfipxe.jpg

barnett468-Thanks for your help!

How much lower in the rear you think it should go. What is the balance from front to rear.  Should the rear be a 1/2", 1" or 1 1/2" higher???

Finally there's a few car shows coming up and I don't want to miss them.  I really enjoy taking the car for a ride and meeting other Mustang enthusiast.

I will have to start another thread regarding leaf springs.  Yeah, still got the air shocks in back.  I did what you said and got separate lines for each side. It only has 30lbs, so it's not pushing so hard at the upper mount. 

Thank you everyone for all you opinions and help!

barnett468-Thanks for your help!

How much lower in the rear you think it should go. What is the balance from front to rear.  Should the rear be a 1/2", 1" or 1 1/2" higher???

Finally there's a few car shows coming up and I don't want to miss them.  I really enjoy taking the car for a ride and meeting other Mustang enthusiast.

I will have to start another thread regarding leaf springs.  Yeah, still got the air shocks in back.  I did what you said and got separate lines for each side. It only has 30lbs, so it's not pushing so hard at the upper mount. 

Thank you everyone for all you opinions and help!

no prob, you're welcome . . im just glad it worked out.

i would put the rear wherever you like it, not where i or others like it, but if it was mine, i would lower the rear 1/2" . . that being said, the rear will change from a full tank of gas to a 1/4 tank of gas so you cant control that . . also, it will be more likely the body will hit the tires on a bump if you lower it.

How about a picture with the air released from your rear shock absorbers?  That will show the natural level for those springs.  I like the height I see on that rear as is sits, and considering your tire width, would not go any lower.

The overall stance looks nice.  Glad you resorted to the cutting. 

I have a 1970 Ford Mustang with 302 2bbl, factory air and power steering. I need to replace the leaf springs, coil springs and shock absorbers. The idea is to keep it as close to the factory settings as possible. Wheels are 15" Magnum 500 with BFG Radial T/A P225 70R 15. Are there any suggestions on what should be installed? Thanks.

With no personal experience with OE springs, the consensus I've read is to get Eaton springs from NPD. The spring part number will vary according to engine and car model. 

I went to Open Tracker and he put together a kit that had the coils, rear mid-eye leafs and the shocks.  I also got new control arms, spring perches and other pieces from him.

See my install here, I have some incremental pictures

I also got my suspension parts from Opentracker Racing, great people to deal with. I went with the 1" lowering performance front coil springs, street performance upper & lower control arms, & 4.5 mid eye rear leaf springs.