Hello, I have a 1969 mustang fastback that I built from the ground up and was finished about a year ago and there has always been this constant spark knock. I have messed with the timing in all different ways and it is currently at 6 degrees atdc. recently got a pertronix distributor put in. Today I changed the spark plugs and put in autolite copper plugs and new spark plug wires in and changed the coolant and also changed the oil and oil filter in hopes that something would change but of course it didnt. before the timing was at 10 degrees and that was terrible and its better at 6 but its definitely still there. im checking tomorrow for an exhaust leak but i doubt thats what it is because the knocking changes when the timing is changed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated I only have so much knowledge about this. 

Can you describe what type of sound it is, my car made a spark sound when my timing was too far advanced, I re-timed it and it was fine. Sounded like it had a fastener in the combustion chamber. Are you sure your new distributor has a proper curve? If I understand correctly vacuum advance distributors must have the springs/weights adjusted to take into account the vacuum advance, so as to not exceed maximum recommended timing...Someone chime in here but I believe this is correct. It's possible there is too much ignition timing, mine is set somewhere around 7-8 degrees .

sounds like a ticking and as i accelerate so does the knocking and before i have cut off the advance and still it knocks. I havent tried to cut off the advance since i set it to 6 degrees so i could try that and maybe the advance is turning the timing too far up. i can slightly hear the knocking when its idling but barely and when its in park and i turn the throttle up i still dont hear it but barely. But when its in drive and im just driving down the street in 1st at 2000 rps i hear it distinctly.

your "knocking" is likely NOT detonation from your timing . . if it was advanced so far that you could hear it knock [detonate] at idle, the engine would not even turn over . . the only exception to this could be if you have a lot of timing on a low compression engine but that's pretty much unheard of.

Hello emorybrit,

Just to be certain we are talking the right timing - 

your motor should run fine at 8 degrees BEFORE top dead center.

In your original post it states "6 degrees atdc.

This could be a simple typo - -or it could indicate you are chasing the wrong 

direction on the timing. You want the spark to fire BEFORE the piston comes to

the top of the stroke.

It could be a simple fix - -perhaps you are timing to the wrong side of center

Trust me - we all make simple little errors but that is how we learn

Just wanted to double check before you get too far into this.

Of course a knock to your ear could be a tap to others,

The point is - -we gotta take this one step at a time till we figure

what is happening.

As others mentioned - -an exhaust leak at the manifold could sound like a

knock to some.

Please let the people here know what the timing is set to and they can help from there

Print Dad

You should never hear a spark knock at idle. I wonder if you are hearing a mechanical knock instead.

You said you built it from the ground up, meaning you should know static compression ratio, cam profile, advance curve, the difference between ATDC and BTDC, etc. All this information would be helpful to share so that people can better help you.

I assumed when you said you built it from the ground up that you built the engine also. If you had the engine built for you find out from the builder what the compression ratio was, and what cam was used, including manufacturer and part #.

I'm about to hop under and check for any exhaust leaks because that would be an easy fix. But it's sounding like every time the distributor turns there's a ticking and the faster the distributor turns the faster the ticking is. This was a craigslist buy and the engine ran so I didn't do any work to it other than piecing it all together with a Holley 650 on that's why I don't know the compression ratio. I'm gonna check the timing and see if I can't get a picture of where it's at to post up

OK, so it's an engine that came with the car and used, and probably no idea how many actual miles on it. Like Barnett468 stated it's most likely NOT spark knock.

Edit, sorry got pulled away.

So if you don't find an exhaust leak, start by listening on top of the engine, see if you can determine what side it's coming from to help narrow it down. May be something in your valvetrain.

Yep was editing my post above, you can also use a long screwdriver to listen for the noise, place the blade on different spots across the valve cover and put your ear on the end of the handle. If you find the noise on one side you'll have to pull the cover and go from there. Do you have any experience working on engines? NOT MY DARN PIC!

if you have a compression gauge, just take the compression with the coil removed and the carburetor jammed opened at least 1/3 rd of the way by opening the throttle and sticking a long screwdriver down the front holes.

turn engine over for exactly 4 seconds and tell us what it says.

if it is less than around 220, it should not detonate at idle. i know this because i've done it, lol. typical compression is between 135 and 180.

as far as the noise increasing with the turning of the distributor, it is exactly what it should do because in your case, as you tutn the distributor, the engine rpm is changing.

i can also tell you this . . if your engine rpm is increasing as you turn the distributor, you need MORE timing.

IGNITION TIMING

mustangs were delivered with less than optimal ignition timing . . . incorrect timing can easily cost 10 hp and i have seen gains as much as 40 hp when it has been corrected . . incorrect timing can also cause poor throttle response and bottom end power . . with the distributor vacuum advance disconnected, most street builds can run at least 10 at idle and around 34 at around 3000 rpm . . these numbers are on the slightly conservative side.

if it were me, i would disconnect the vacuum advance and check timing at idle, then rev it up until it stops advancing and note the timing and rpm.

if you dont have a tachometer but you have less than 30 degrees of total timing, its reasonable to guess that you could benefit from more.

The following quick and easy test will give you an idea as to whether your engine can benefit from more timing at idle or at high rpm . . You can try it before you do your cam but you must also do it after because the results will be different if your current timing chain is stretched much.

IGNITION TIMING TEST

Incorrect timing can easily cost 10 hp or more.

Too little initial timing can cause engine to idle hotter than it otherwise would.

Check for carburetor and intake air leak.

Plug the vacuum advance line.

With the engine warm/hot, loosen the distributor bolt 1/4 turn

Start engine and note the timing . . stock is around 6 degrees btdc, 8 – 10 is often better.

Rev engine to almost 1/2 throttle and note the timing . . if you have a tachometer, rev the engine slowly until the timing stops advancing then not the timing and the rpm.

Let engine idle and advance the timing 3 degrees.

If the rpm increases and the engine still runs perfectly smoothly, reset idle and advance timing 3 more degrees.

If the rpm increases and the engine still runs perfectly smoothly, reset idle and advance timing 3 more degrees.

Next, reset the timing and idle speed.

Turn up idle screw so engine is revving around 2500 rpm and note the timing.

Advance the timing 3 degrees.

If the rpm increases and the engine still runs perfectly smoothly, advance timing 3 more degrees.

If the rpm increases and the engine still runs perfectly smoothly, advance timing 3 more degrees.

Reset timing to previous setting and post results.

thank you barnett i will definitely try that tomorrow. today as i was driving after checking the timing to make sure it was at 6 degrees before and not after and as i would get on the gas it would sound like it would almost stall then then it would suddenly accelerate like a lag before it would kick in. and im going to do the screwdriver thing tomorrow to see if i can pinpoint the sound. from inside the car it sounds like it is on the driver side but i could be wrong since im on the drivers side when i drive. 

ok, dont forget to disconnect your distributor vacuum advance hose and leave it disconnected until your problem is fixed then reconnect it to ported vacuum, not manifold vacuum . . if you have a dual diaphragm distributor its more complicated.

if you have a holley carb, set the gas level so it is just below the inspection holes when the car is idling.