prayers1

Coil Spring Compressor rod too long

I'm trying to put in coil springs and I'm borrowing a friends Compressor, the fingers type with the fingers on the bottom and top.

The spring compressor fingers grab the coils fine and compress the spring,  but no matter what coil level I install it the threaded center rod goes past the last coil and hits the spring perch.  With that I cannot compress the spring any more because the rod goes further out.  I'm about 1" from sliding in the top coil. 

I was going to buy an internal finger compressor off the shelf at O'Reillys made by Performance Tool Part# W80554 and cut an inch off the threaded rod.   The package says that it is designed to handle springs up to 5 5/8's outside diameter and wire diameter of a maximum of 3/4".

Do you think its safe to cut an inch.

Anyone use the Performance Tool?

I hate doing coil springs............................

Ok I gather the shocks are out but make sure the sway bar is also disconnected from the lower arm if it's not already . This will give you more travel so that you don't have to compress the coils as much. The internal compressors are meant to be good but I have always used the cheap ass ones with a single finger top and bottom with no issues. I did my spring a few weeks back .

The typical internal coil spring compressor the threaded rod is too long. Typically I just cut it off by 2-3" and then it's fine.

If it not yours you have to stack washers, a spacer or something under the bolt head to make it work

Bob

I cut the threaded rod on mine about 3". I put it in the spring where I wanted it and cut the rest off. I've used it like that for years and it works good. They come with a long rod so they can be used on tall springs. Ours are short so the rod needs to be shorter and yes, it is a real pain in the perch.

The typical internal coil spring compressor the threaded rod is too long. Typically I just cut it off by 2-3" and then it's fine.

If it not yours you have to stack washers, a spacer or something under the bolt head to make it work

Bob

I made a spacer from tubing ,it goes under the head of the threaded rod .Get the claws as far to the bottom of the spring and as far to the top of the spring as they will go ,that will help a little .

I must have made this compressor over 25 years ago .I cant even tell you how many springs i have removed with it ,or how many friends have removed with it . I made it from a screw jack ,it is tig welded .

_MG_4966_zpslms22e1u.jpg

_MG_4965_zpslgsapcag.jpg

This is how I modified the compressor I borrowed from Advance Auto. This works.