SA69mach

14 inch Rim Blow wheel.....opinions please

There is a  definite learning curve to this wood thing... 

1. 212 deg. is what's call for when steaming wood.. Had to insulate the box to get the temp that high. 

2. Don't rush it. You will just waste wood and time.

3. Pre wetting the wood over night helps a lot.

4. Let the wood dry...Your perfect fit will not be so perfect after the wood has dried.

5. Get good clamps and lots of them.

6. Hide what your doing...It takes longer to explain to people what your doing than it does to do it....

post-44083-0-52738500-1455230592.jpg

post-44083-0-57515900-1455230636.jpg

post-44083-0-60221200-1455230686.jpg

Update.

Things are moving forwards slowly as I learn the way of the wood and trying to do things differently.

1. You can bake the wood if the box temp.get to high and you heat it to long..At this point its more

like glass than wood.

2. Removed insolation from the box this got it back down to just under 200 Deg. Was going up to 230.

I think that my have been to hot?

3. Water content of the wood is a big deal..I was informed that wood I had was Kiln dried and most likely had only 12-14% and my have to wet it for up to a week to bend the thicker parts.

4. Imperfections in the wood...Even the smallest bad spot can stop you in your tracks..

5. Added a spacer to the jig to make clamping easer.

6. Trying to grove the first inner and outer bands to mold around the wheel..THIS has been challenging.

Bending thin strips has been easy.. The thicker ones with a grove not so much...

7. CLAMPS... Have not found any that I have been happy with when your in a hurry..

8. Steaming the wood as your bending it helps a lot.

post-44083-0-20682800-1455465294.jpg

post-44083-0-56661500-1455465347.jpg

post-44083-0-11601600-1455465441.jpg

post-44083-0-70724100-1455471526.jpg

Hi Mike65.

This method can be used on any steering wheel.  I guess you are referring to the two spoke wheel?

Once you cut away the plastic grip and a bit of the plastic down the spoke (1 or 2 inches), the metal grip frame is exposed. 

Assuming you want to make a smaller wheel, -Cut the metal hoop off at the spokes, then resize it, then weld it back on the spokes.  Trim the excess spoke metal, and then go for it with the laminated timber.

It is actually a lot less work with a non-rimblow wheel.  No cutting of the groove for the horn strip, and the fake metal strip around the outside of the grip.  So, hours of work saved right there.  My second wheel I deleted both of those items anyway.  And that's what I am driving with right now.  Love the size, love the center horn button, and love the look.  Drives better too.

Let me know if you need any help. 

I can see why venders get big money for restoring steering wheels...

Its not hard to do but it all takes a bit of time..

Its been fun and I have learned a lot.

If I was to do a second one it would take half the time and cost.

Waiting for epoxy to harden..BORING..Than more sanding.

The trick with epoxy is waiting for it to dry as hard as playdough than moving it to

were you want...Less sanding!!!!

post-44083-0-13439800-1455905434.jpg

Hi Mike65.

This method can be used on any steering wheel.  I guess you are referring to the two spoke wheel?

Once you cut away the plastic grip and a bit of the plastic down the spoke (1 or 2 inches), the metal grip frame is exposed. 

Assuming you want to make a smaller wheel, -Cut the metal hoop off at the spokes, then resize it, then weld it back on the spokes.  Trim the excess spoke metal, and then go for it with the laminated timber.

It is actually a lot less work with a non-rimblow wheel.  No cutting of the groove for the horn strip, and the fake metal strip around the outside of the grip.  So, hours of work saved right there.  My second wheel I deleted both of those items anyway.  And that's what I am driving with right now.  Love the size, love the center horn button, and love the look.  Drives better too.

Let me know if you need any help. 

SA69mach,

Do you have any pics of your current steering wheel in your mach?. What kind of wood did you use?. I am thinking of using pine since I have a few pieces left over from when I built a desk.

Mike.

SA69mach,

Do you have any pics of your current steering wheel in your mach?. What kind of wood did you use?. I am thinking of using pine since I have a few pieces left over from when I built a desk.

Mike.

There is a pic near the bottom of page 1 of this thread.  Installed.

Pine in unsuitable for this work, It is high in resin, which makes steaming and water content difficult to deal with,  and the timber structure makes it prone to splintering and snapping.  Lots of knots and imperfections, which add to the problem.  You can use what you like, but I would not recommend any pine, fir cedar etc.

Hardwood is fine grained, straight grained heavy and hard.  Ideal for steaming, and forming.  Finishing work on hardwood is slower, but you rarely get splits and splinters, even after tight curves. 

Plus making thin laths of timber strips is near impossible with any pines, and they just wont bend without snapping.

The end is near..

The epoxy went on black but sanded out gray..(PC-7)

Did a test strip with putting clear on it...This helped but was not as black as I had hoped.

I have a plan that I hope will work out...

Thinking about doing some inlay on the outer rim. Not shore yet.

post-44083-0-39263000-1455988048.jpg

post-44083-0-77908600-1455988093.jpg

The day has arrived for the clear coat....
My problem is to stain or not...
Did a test strip with two different stains and no stain....
Really like the no stain look but the wood is a little lighter in color
than i had hoped.
Wont say there is no going back....But dam its a lot of work to sand stain off...

Still have some final sanding and Holiday filling work to do. There is time to think and drink..

But not much.............

NEXT UP.. steering pad fitment...This will be fun..

post-44083-0-82057300-1456073666.jpg

post-44083-0-52869400-1456073817.jpg

Nice progress. I had the same decision regarding stain on a floor I installed. I certainly don't regret not staining the floor. I'd think sanding the clear would be less work than sanding the stain if you didn't like your initial choice.

Pure issue of personal taste.  I would not.  I like the original design and colors.  You have the real wood grain of the timber grip dominating the overall look. 

Nice job Ray.

Are you going with a center horn button?  Or rim blow switch?