SA69mach

14 inch Rim Blow wheel.....opinions please

As much as I don't like the rim blow it should be there...working or not..... Thinking on it....

Not shore of the inserts myself... Need to install the wheel than lay back with a beer and have a look..

Simple to change......

Center pad....

I have been more nervous about doing this than anything. Not shore why?

From what I see people ask 150.00-200.00 for a replacement... Really>?

That's half of what I paid for the car..(1976)

Ground it off with a bench grinder this gave me the round shape I was looking for..

Fast and painless....Will hit the ends with black paint..

(Rim sanded for second coat)

post-44083-0-62649100-1456171036.jpg

post-44083-0-24521100-1456171169.jpg

post-44083-0-35065300-1456171368.jpg

I'm down to the end....18 days later..

SO what did it cost?

Steering wheel..Free....(In a way?)

Black walnut wood...60.00

Clear coat...30.00 and black pigment

Wood clamps...40.00(need more)

Steam box..25.00

Router bit I didn't have..19.00

Epoxy...25.00

PC-7 epoxy...7.00

Wallpaper steamer. Free..(75.00 new)

Sandpaper and mis. hardware. glue. and stain I did not use....45.00 ?

Inlay...12.00

Time to do it.... UNKNOWN

I'm most likely forgetting something...(Gas and beer)

$263.00

Cheap? Not really but try to buy a custom wood wheel for that...

When my grand daughter gets this car years down the road from now think about how proud

she will be to say my grand father made that.....Now get your butt in and lets burn some tires!!!!

Before grandpa gets home..

I would be so proud!!

Thank you for the comment..

Not shore if this how its done?

Two of us got it done with a little different approach. Both worked very well.

There was a time my camera was down....Would like to have photos of the inner and outer rim routing..

In the end I only used 6 strips of wood (planks)And tossed to many in the wood stove....... Learning curve on wood steaming...

CLAMPS don't be afraid to have to many......

Hope to bolt it in tonight after 10 years of it hanging on the wall...

post-44083-0-81975500-1456326488.jpg

post-44083-0-49466100-1456327381.jpg

Next up.

Sheet metal replacement that would have been nice to do 40 years ago when you could get the real stuff.

Luckily its all underside....Think about it I paid $50.00 for two scratch and dent quarter panels in 1977

Maybe I should use Oak on the bottom and teak on the top?

Going to do a center button...Just cant see slipping up with the router at this point to install something I don't really care for.

Waiting on doing my next parts order on the never ending things that I think I need(Want)

I have found out if you use your car.. Things keep wearing out?...A bit strange??

Good choice in my opinion.  I really like the look of the original rim blow wheel.  I just don't like the large size, the spindly rim, the stink from the plastic, and the feeble and finicky horn switch.

You are right about the cars wearing out when you use them.  They go bad if you don't use them, though! 

How do you like it to drive with?  The wheel size, and grip etc.  Do you have power or manual steering?

The car had manual steering when it was born. lasted 9 days for me..Paid $25.00 for the complete P/S assy.(1976) Skipped school for the day to get it done..made 65.00 a week.

working two jobs and school..

Still winter in NH.. No snow but still plenty of salt and sand on the road...

No test driving at this time..(Maybe)

Outer rim. diameter 14 1/4

Rim diameter...1.1/8 same as most modern cars.

The aftermarket wheel was rubber with no finger grips and this is wood with grips so it feels different.

In a good way!!!!!

Even if you could router a groove for a rim-blow switch, you would need to shorten a stock switch to fit.   And as problematic as the replacement switches can be as-is, I would not want to try and disassemble, shorten, and re-assemble one to fit !!

Love the look ... you did great work there Ray !!

Doug

Even if you could router a groove for a rim-blow switch, you would need to shorten a stock switch to fit.   And as problematic as the replacement switches can be as-is, I would not want to try and disassemble, shorten, and re-assemble one to fit !!

Love the look ... you did great work there Ray !!

Doug

I already did that with my first small wheel, and it was less of a nightmare than what I anticipated.

The switch is a rubber tube with two copper strips inside, one above the other.  They are kept separated by a half rib .  One copper strip has little ridges.  When you squeeze the rubber the two strips touch, and makes contact,  When you release the pressure, the internal rubber ribs push the strips apart.

To shorten it you measure carefully the required length (during a test fit in the groove) and then slice off the rubber from ONE END, leaving the copper exposed.  Don't cut any copper yet. Then carefully pull the strip into place, along the length of the switch,  so that each end of the rubber has one terminal end, flush. 

You will now have a shorter rubber tube, two terminal ends flush, and two long strips of copper sticking out EACH END. Trim off the excess plain copper strips, and bend a small piece of copper strip over then rubber end to finish, just like the factory.

I doubt you could do it with an old switch - the rubber is brittle and stiff, and the lubrication inside the switch is long gone.  You would be likely to snap the copper strip somewhere inside the rubber.

Ride report...

After putting 300+ miles behind the new wheel the diameter and thickness are perfect for me..

gage visibility is not a problem. (I did off set the rim a little just for that) 

Feels write in the hands.

Looks way better than the black foam  wheel that it replaced.

Ray.

clearcoated and assembled with center pad

.IMG01491-20160131-2320.jpg

Hoping you can answer a quick question for me... do you happen to know the part # for that horn button? Or do you think it is the same as this one? :

http://www.cjponyparts.com/horn-button-black-euro-style-5-bolt-6-bolt/p/HBG56-V/

Looks the same, but the description says 3" diameter... that seems a bit large, but I'm not home where I can get a good look at the hole in the pad for reference.

23 minutes ago, ray1970 said:

Been a long time.  Life can change fast. Finley got the horn done the_DSC6224.thumb.JPG.b953c955962b78670a3a7041d058c5a1.JPG way I wanted it.

Hi Ray, long time no see. So you fashioned a switch out of the center medallion? I can see the terminal.

After replacing several rim blow switches I put a switch under the center and rigged up a way to let the medallion pivot slightly to press the switch- way back in the 70s or 80s, and still working which is more than I can say for rim blow switches.