Machspeed

Meet QUEENIE.... 69 Gulfstream Aqua Build

2 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Most people are  shocked at the cost of an awarding paint job. Our time IQ that's  used to  keep  track of the  actual  hours,  plus our  computerized paint system tells us to  the penny how much we have in the job.  Labor  is 15,000 and materials  is 5,000. 

Yeah, I know Rich, but you are a high end shop that does this kind of work for a living. I would expect that from a shop like yours. You do cars for people that have a lot of disposable income. The gentleman that I'm wanting to utilize has a regular job and this is more or less side money for him. I've seen a couple of his projects and I know he knows how to lay paint, but he does not have your knowledge base. He is particular about his work though and takes pride in it, thus my desire to utilize him. But, he was getting my car in bare metal form, would not have to do any metal work, as I would address all that. No panel alignment. Basically, he was to primer, block it, and paint it. He did not give me a price but it was above $10k.  

I completed the majority of the body work ( shock tower removal, both quarters, jams and rocker) myself. The shop I went to insisted on media blasting the car or they wouldn't warranty the paint. Said they need to verify the work was done correctly and if it was, would only be a small price to get it back to where it was. I was hesitant as I put lots of hours leveling out the areas and blending. Needless to say I gave the go ahead and allowed the blasting. The cost from a blasted car to finished paint along with a few extras was approx $20k. That included gapping the panels, tucking the bumbers, front and rear glass, custom painted stripes, and blacking out all the chrome. You get what you pay for. The shop warranted the paint for the life of the car while I own it. You could see the paint on my progress forum

Don't stress about this too much, you are a long way from paint at this stage. Main thing is to repair any defects in the cars body panels and make sure panel fitment is correct and door fender and trunk lid gaps are the best you can get them, this in its self is a long and time consuming task, that you need to take your time with, so paint is the last thing you need to worry about. As you are looking for a high end paint job you should never consider painting a car in your garage or workshop, dust and variance in air temperatures are critical to getting a decent paint job. If you decide to paint it yourself as they say practice makes perfect and hiring time in a decent spray booth is a must.

Merry Christmas!!! Been awhile since I posted. With my previously mentioned paint dilemma and the disappointments I've had paying people to do things that did not meet my standards, I've decided that I will paint the car myself. Huge endeavor, I know!

Anyway, did manage to get the seats covered. Wife was nice enough to allow me to put them in the guest bedroom. Actually, I put them in there without asking, hoping she wouldn't say anything. Her acknowledgment that it was okay was covering them with a sheet...lol! 

Seats.JPG

As the weather is cold, been doing some metal work.  Years ago, I hacked up the inner side cowl panels to accommodate some speakers....jeez, what was I thinking. Yeah, no one would see them with the kick panels on, but it's not my way and I knew if I left it I would regret it. Anyway, our very own, Mike (Latoracing) made me up some patch panels. Mike has some incredible metal working skills. Thanks Mike!!! Welded the panels in, trimmed them up and when all is said and done, even an inspection of the area will not reveal that it was repaired. 

Cowl Repair Patch Panel.JPG

Cowl Repair 1.JPG

Cowl Repair.JPG

Spent some time on the floor pans, as they had some pin holes and a couple areas that required some patches. No one makes the exact reproduction of the 69 floor pan or I likely would have cut out the passenger side and replaced it. It would have been a lot easier.  Also, anyone with a trained eye would know the car had been repaired had I used the available pan and I didn't want that. Grafted in a piece from an available pan and with some massaging and work am quite pleased with how it turned out. 

Floor Board Repair.JPG

Floor Board Repair 2.JPG

Yesterday, Christmas Eve, took on the left rear lower qtr panel. I don't know why, but working on the exterior body panels scares me. Anyway, after many measurements, cut out a piece from the available patch panel and fit it up. This is a quality panel, and while the side profile fits nicely, the underside does not. I jacked around for a long time trying to figure out how to make the underside look original and fit up to the remaining qtr by bending and hammering on it. Finally figured out I could cut reliefs in it, conform it to shape, and weld up the reliefs.  A sheet metal guy would have figured that out real quick....dang dummy! The outer wheel house is rusted in that area as well and a patch will have to be made or cut out to complete the repair. Debating as to whether to attempt my very limited sheet metal skills to make the repair or cut it out of a purchased panel.     

Left Rear Qtr 1.JPG

P1030346.JPG

Left Rear Qtr.JPG

Nice work Machspeed. When I was doing all the sheet metal work on my 69 Coupe if I had spots to repair like you do & since I am also not to great at fabbing up pieces & get them to look good I would cut the piece I need from a repo panel. 

Too late for you but one advice for others; do not buy the patch panels like the Spectra quarter patch in your picture.  Spectra patch panels may be a little thicker but the bends are not sharp like originals. Pay a few bucks extra and buy quarter skins (even the cheap ones) and cut what you need from them; the bends on them are sharp, details are a lot better and with less to no wrinkles at bottom. You will save a lot of fitting time and use less filler.

2 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Too late for you but one advice for others; do not buy the patch panels like the Spectra quarter patch in your picture.  Spectra patch panels may be a little thicker but the bends are not sharp like originals. Pay a few bucks extra and buy quarter skins (even the cheap ones) and cut what you need from them; the bends on them are sharp, details are a lot better and with less to no wrinkles at bottom. You will save a lot of fitting time and use less filler.

I wished I'd known that. I'm curious, how did you come about that knowledge? The bad thing about stuff like this is that it's not fully pictured and seldom do they give a good descriptive. Had I known, I'd purchased the panel you speak of. I was actually looking at them a few days ago contemplating the purchase. I may still go ahead with it, as my wheel lip is dinged and only way to fix it is to fill it or apply a small patch.

Can you comment on that outer wheelhouse? Thinking I'll purchase one and cut off what I need.

Thank you!

When I replaced the l/s & r/s quarter panel skins on my 69 Coupe I had to replace both sides outer wheel houses also. I thought they were a good match to the quarter panel skins.

14 hours ago, Machspeed said:

I wished I'd known that. I'm curious, how did you come about that knowledge? The bad thing about stuff like this is that it's not fully pictured and seldom do they give a good descriptive. Had I known, I'd purchased the panel you speak of. I was actually looking at them a few days ago contemplating the purchase. I may still go ahead with it, as my wheel lip is dinged and only way to fix it is to fill it or apply a small patch.

Can you comment on that outer wheelhouse? Thinking I'll purchase one and cut off what I need. 

Thank you!

I bought both the spectra quarter patch and cheaper quarter skins years ago for different projects; would not buy the spectra patch panel again based on my examination of both parts.

I had some rust on outer wheelwell of my daily driver Grande very similar to yours, (on the left side too) but the quarter was good. I made my patch panel for the wheelwell by bending, cutting, welding, forming a piece to fit. You can cut a piece from a repro wheelwell too, which will be easier than fabbing a piece like I did as there are compound curves in that area.

The kick panel patches turned out nice. Great job!

On your quarter patches, I would recommend buying the outer wheel house and chopping out the part you need. It can be formed, but you'll spend as much money on a piece of 20ga sheet metal. Having a basic shape that you can tweak to fit vs fabricating parts is easier (but not as much fun). The outer skin can be massaged into position as well. Keep your patch larger than your hole and trim to fit, much like the kick panel parts. I'm sure it will turn out nice as well.