prayers1

Coil Spring removal question

A year ago I replaced the entire front suspension and braking system as well as installing new coil springs. Now I have to replace the coils springs because I was given the wrong ones.   It was easier when the rotors were off and I don't recall if anything else was off when I installed the coil springs.

Question is, what do I HAVE to take off besides the shock covers and shocks to R&R the coil springs.

Thank you!

You will get assorted methods and options on ' the how to ' but if you just want to do it; put the front end on jack stands, remove the front tires/wheels, remove the front shocks, get a spring compressor and remove the springs. Install new springs and reverse the order to re-assemble. Brian

post-33155-0-94235300-1429805314.jpg

Use an internal coil spring compressor.  Go through the shock opening at the top of the shock tower.  Be careful and don't use an impact gun on the jack screw of the compressor.  The pounding from the impact gun will slowly ruin the threads on the compressor.  That applies to any type of bearing or hub puller as well.  Also, anti seize compound on the screw threads of the compressor help preserve the threads.  Sometimes, with strong aftermarket springs, they are short enough to not need a spring compressor.  A little pushing and they go into place.

Yes good ideals everyone.  I was thinking that I would have to drop the lower control arm and the strut rod, then pull one side of the spindle out.

From what I gathered, have a jack under the lower control arm, take off sway bar link, shock, shock cover, install compressor, compress spring, lower jack to slide spring out.

What do you think!

I think the picture of the external spring compressors that are usually used on struts is an accident waiting to happen. Please use the proper internal spring compressor. Your steps are the way I go about it, but it might help if you take the tire off first.

Yes good ideals everyone.  I was thinking that I would have to drop the lower control arm and the strut rod, then pull one side of the spindle out.

From what I gathered, have a jack under the lower control arm, take off sway bar link, shock, shock cover, install compressor, compress spring, lower jack to slide spring out.

What do you think!

if you have someone press down on the suspension while you compress the spring, you will not have to compress it as much.

I agree an internal spring compressor is the safest ,it is only one screw through the middle to compress and release the spring .You go through the hole in the top of the tower for the shocks .Any spring compressor can fail so be very careful and make sure it is hooked completely before you tighten the compressor .

I will use what I used last, the internal spring compressor that I rented from O'Reillys. Sorry if I misled you all thinking that I'm gonna used the external one.

you didn't mislead anyone .  you never said what type you would use.

Not only are internal compressers safer, with the close proxinity of the springs to the shock tower walls, they are actually a lot easier to use. I have always liked the type with two hooks at the bottom and the top is actually a plate, but they are hard tofind and arguably only make sense if you are removing the control arm.

[quote name="prayers1"

So I gotta ask; why do you think you have to ' take off shock cover ' ? Brian

The spring will not come out with the shock cover on.

When I installed the 1st set I rented the internal spring compressor with the fork plate.

4_zpsx6zukfml.jpg

A lot of you guys refer to the finger internal compressor.

w80554_zpsmewq0p8j.jpg

Which do you all prefer?

Here's what my set up looked like after the 1st install.  It was easier to put it in all together new and w/o the strut rod and sway bar hooked up, then I tighten all the bolts after the springs were in.

Should I remove the strut bar?

DSC02040_zpsf74d3e22.jpg

So just to confirm, I do not need to take off the upper or lower ball joint or spindle.

The below attachment is not mine!

You do not have to remove the upper or lower ball joint or spindle.  Simply,

1)  Remove the shock and upper shock bracket to expose the opening at the top of the shock tower.

2)  Remove the outer spring cover you mentioned.

3)  Remove the sway bar end link on the side you are working on.

4)  Let the suspension hang.

5)  Work the spring compressor through the opening at the top of the shock tower so you can get to the head of the jack screw from the top.

6)  Carefully compress the spring enough to remove it.

Installation is reverse.  When installing it helps to secure the upper spring insulator to the spring with some electrical tape.  Then leave the tape in place.  I try to move with a purpose when the springs are in a compressed state with the spring compressor.  I'm always a little nervous of one letting go. 

Either of those internal spring compressors you show should work.  I've always used the 4-finger type on these classic Mustangs.  The 4-finger type is less expensive to purchase which may be why it is more popular.

AGAIN, THAT IS NOT MY THUMBNAIL BELOW!

I have the 4 finger compressor. I cut the threaded rod a little shorter so it's easier to use. The issue with getting the spring out and in is to have the suspension relaxed enough so the upper arm is resting on the frame. If the upper arm isn't dropped all the way, the spring is harder to remove / install.

Nice looking suspension !   

1969_Mach1 - Thank you for the confirmation.  I always get mixed up with GM and Ford coil spring set ups.  I have to sit there and look at it for a while.

I too, am always a little nervous of one letting go.

Opentracker (John) - I bought your UCA and Spring Perch from you last year.